General Category > Economy/Business

The 'Amazon Washington Post,' and Why It Needs to Be Destroyed

(1/1)

endicom:
PJ Media
Michael Walsh
July 22, 2017

As readers of PJ Media's daily feature, Hot Mic, are aware, I'm not a big fan of Amazon. In the guise of ease, efficiency and allegedly low prices, it's crushing the life out of the retail section in the United States, demolishing bookstores, big-box stores, department stores, grocery stores, record stores, and even smaller retail outlets, putting small businessmen, struggling authors and garage bands out of business. In so doing, it's also killing job prospects for entry-level workers who might actually not want to work at McDonald's.

>

Like many close observers of the shipping business, I know a secret about the federal government’s relationship with Amazon: The U.S. Postal Service delivers the company’s boxes well below its own costs. Like an accelerant added to a fire, this subsidy is speeding up the collapse of traditional retailers in the U.S. and providing an unfair advantage for Amazon.

More... https://pjmedia.com/michaelwalsh/2017/07/22/the-amazon-washington-post-and-why-it-needs-to-be-destroyed/

Sanguine:
Does the Post Office recover full costs on anything it delivers?

Applewood:
Hey, Mr. Walsh, Amazon is free market capitalism at work.  If other retailers can't or won't compete, too bad.

Online shopping is here to stay. People don't want to sheep to a store to buy stuff.  Why waste time and gas you drive you the store -- and if the store is in a mall,  possibly lose your life if the gangstas start shooting at each other -- when you can stay home in  your pajamas  and shop? 

I'll admit there are some things I'd rather look at in the store before I buy.  So retailers can still have scaled down brick and mortar stores, but develop a viable website for online shopping.  That's what has been wrong with Sears.  The stores suck, the old catalog was discontinued some years ago, but Sears' website as a way to shop online leaves a lot to be desired.  Perhaps if Sears had spent time and money on a better online shopping experience, the chain might still be competitive. 

Will give Sears props for partnering with Amazon to sell its appliances online. 

Really tired of people moaning about Amazon.  The company has hit upon a way to do business that has worked well for Amazon AND the consumers Amazon serves.  Maybe there are people out there who are jealous of a successful business.

Cripplecreek:
I was going to wait till next payday and swing by Menards but after reading this I think I'll go ahead and order that bench grinder I've been wanting.

If I order now I can get it by Saturday without wasting the gas going to the store.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version