State Chapters > NY/NJ

New York's crackdown on dog-walking licenses is only hurting low-income workers

(1/3) > >>

jmyrlefuller:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/new-yorks-crackdown-on-dog-walking-licenses-is-only-hurting-low-income-workers/article/2629365

by Patricia Lee Onwuka
July 21, 2017

Walking a dog for pay in New York City? You better have a license for that.

Entrepreneurs and teens earning extra pay this summer may find themselves on the wrong side of the law if they lack a license. The city is enforcing unnecessary and antiquated work licensure requirements, to the harm of those who need work opportunities most. These are roadblocks to work that aren't keeping up with how technology is delivering opportunities to earn honest livings and need to be kicked to the curb.

New York City's Health Department has warned a pet-sitting app that if users who list their services don't have a license, they are breaking the law. The Health Department issued a similar warning last year to another website and reportedly at least two residents were given violations. Fines start at $1,000.

(excerpt)

jmyrlefuller:
That's right, in New York, you must have a license, which in turn requires pricey insurance, to WALK A FLIPPING DOG!

Gefn:
As Cindy Adams would say,  "Only in New York"

Unbelievable  :thud:

Victoria33:

--- Quote from: Freya on July 23, 2017, 12:16:50 pm ---As Cindy Adams would say,  "Only in New York"  Unbelievable  :thud:

--- End quote ---
@Freya

So, if you walk your own dog, will a cop stop you and insist on seeing papers you own the dog so you are not a "professional dog walker"?

I could not live in New York City - I would be arrested the first day I lived there for multiple "crimes".  My ownership of guns would be the first way I got put in jail.

andy58-in-nh:
Such forms of rent-seeking have multiplied as municipal and state governments search desperately for revenues to offset their increased spending on services, salaries and benefits.

But in reality, there is no way to bend the cost curve down when such governments insist on policies that cause taxpayers to flee.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version