Author Topic: Massive eighty foot tall sand dunes threaten to SWALLOW UP homes on the banks of Lake Michigan  (Read 1070 times)

rangerrebew

Massive eighty foot tall sand dunes threaten to SWALLOW UP homes on the banks of Lake Michigan

Homes in the popular tourist hot spot are under threat from the huge, 80ft tall encroaching sand dunes
    The cottages, in the Silver Lake area, along Lake Michigan, may soon be swallowed up by the sand
    Sue Dressler says she and her husband have been battling against the dunes for the past 20 years
    One of their lakeside cottages was destroyed in April and now sand is threatening to destroy another
    Experts believe that wind direction has changed in the past two years bringing the dunes closer
    Cottage owners are removing dump-truck loads of sand away from the homes - at a cost of $1,600 a day

By Hannah Parry For Dailymail.com

Published: 16:50 EDT, 21 July 2017 | Updated: 01:28 EDT, 22 July 2017

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4719294/Sand-dunes-threaten-swallow-homes-near-Lake-Michigan.html#ixzz4nZzT3ZRz
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Quick question, Is the sand suitable for frac sand? If so, there might be a solution...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
From what I gather from local stories is that we have wealthy liberals who want the rest of us to pay for saving the buildings.

Offline Cripplecreek

Their house is inside the red circle and they're just going to have to suck it up. Dunes move, its what sand dunes do.

Offline Smokin Joe

Yabbut....dunes are often well sorted and relatively pure sand grains, of similar sizes. If they aren't too small or too  angular, they might be valuable in bulk. If those rich liberals could bear to part with them and have them used as propants in oil wells, that is...they might be able to get them hauled out relatively cheap.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Quick question, Is the sand suitable for frac sand? If so, there might be a solution...

You ask a good question, and I'd have to say, I have no idea.  I've been on Lake Michigan dunes, and IIRC it's sand that has been windbown for many years, and different from the stuff on the shore, so the answer is probably no.  But, I am not a geologist as you are so your guess is better than mine.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

You ask a good question, and I'd have to say, I have no idea.  I've been on Lake Michigan dunes, and IIRC it's sand that has been windbown for many years, and different from the stuff on the shore, so the answer is probably no.  But, I am not a geologist as you are so your guess is better than mine.

They get frack sand from plenty of other places without destroying a state park. There was a big fight in Chelsea a year or so back over a "sand mine" for fracking sand.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
If they had a law like we have on the Texas Gulf Coast, they would also lose their property.

The Texas Open Beaches Act is a U.S. state of Texas law, passed in 1959 and amended in 1991, which guarantees free public access to beaches on the Gulf of Mexico:

The public... shall have the free and unrestricted right of ingress and egress to and from the state-owned beaches bordering on the seaward shore of the Gulf of Mexico ... extending from the line of mean low tide to the line of vegetation bordering on the Gulf of Mexico.[1]

After major storms, Texas GLO guidelines indicate that beachfront residents may not rebuild their homes due to the act [2] such as some Galveston homes affected by Hurricane Alicia in 1983. Additionally, repairs may only be made in certain circumstances, and then only on structures above the mean high-tide line.[3]

Ongoing litigation continues to clarify the effect of the act on beachfront property owners. The Texas Supreme Court has made it clear that once acquired, public easements do not "roll" when the mean high-tide line changes due to an avulsive event such as a hurricane.[4] The state will own the "wet beach" (any land seaward of the mean-high-tide line), but the "dry beach" (beach that is landward of the mean-high-tide line, but seaward of the vegetation line) may be privately owned, regardless of any pre-existing easements on the beach prior to the avulsive event. However, an easement will "roll" with the vegetation line as long as its movement is gradual/natural and not caused by an avulsive event like a hurricane. Some[who?] have criticized the court's decision based on the fact that hurricanes result in "natural" erosion;[citation needed] critics argue that the distinction between what is "avulsive" and what is "gradual" is unclear.[citation needed]

Offline Smokin Joe

They get frack sand from plenty of other places without destroying a state park. There was a big fight in Chelsea a year or so back over a "sand mine" for fracking sand.
So don't mine the park. Just clean up the sand on the private property next door. If a deer wanders out of a wildlife refuge onto private land, it's fair game. It should be the same with sand grains. Otherwise the predictable result is that the State will wait until the property is 'distressed' (buried) and then make a pittance of an offer or use eminent domain.

Businesses are responsible for the destruction that they bring on their neighbors, parks should be too.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

So don't mine the park. Just clean up the sand on the private property next door. If a deer wanders out of a wildlife refuge onto private land, it's fair game. It should be the same with sand grains. Otherwise the predictable result is that the State will wait until the property is 'distressed' (buried) and then make a pittance of an offer or use eminent domain.

Businesses are responsible for the destruction that they bring on their neighbors, parks should be too.

Taxpayers own the park. I'm already paying for flood insurance for people who build in  flood zones, I don't need to pay for some liberal idiot's wildly overpriced house that is apparently expected to outlast a 12000 year old dune.

The way the great lakes levels have been steadily rising over the last 4 or 5 years. In another year or so they'll start whining that we have to protect those million dollar homes too. My sister posted pics to facebook that showed lake Michigan getting dangerously close to US 2 in the upper peninsula.

I took this pic 2 years ago. The beach should have been 100 yards wide and the water has continued top rise since then.

The fact is that the movement of the dune is nature taking its course or an act of God, take your pick but neither are a threat to life and limb nor are they something the rest of us should be fiscally responsible for. The owners should take the insurance payout and get out.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
*Gotta* be due to climate change.

/sarc
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline Smokin Joe

Taxpayers own the park. I'm already paying for flood insurance for people who build in  flood zones, I don't need to pay for some liberal idiot's wildly overpriced house that is apparently expected to outlast a 12000 year old dune.

The way the great lakes levels have been steadily rising over the last 4 or 5 years. In another year or so they'll start whining that we have to protect those million dollar homes too. My sister posted pics to facebook that showed lake Michigan getting dangerously close to US 2 in the upper peninsula.

I took this pic 2 years ago. The beach should have been 100 yards wide and the water has continued top rise since then.

The fact is that the movement of the dune is nature taking its course or an act of God, take your pick but neither are a threat to life and limb nor are they something the rest of us should be fiscally responsible for. The owners should take the insurance payout and get out.
I guess y'all missed my point. If these lemons aren't spoiled, IOW, if the sand could be used for frac sand, there is a good chance it would be purchased from those whose property the sand has encroached on and removed or simply removed, gratis, from that private property by someone who would absorb that cost of doing so and sell the sand. As a geologist, windblown sand tends to be almost all quartz (relatively pure), well sorted (all about the same size because of the mechanism that moves it). It also tends to be fairly well rounded, another desirable aspect for sand used as a propant to hold fractures open that are induced in fraccing.

It wouldn't cost anyone a dime, but the sand would be hauled out as it encroached on private property, not dug out of the park. Jobs, a marketable product, tax revenue.

Let the millionaires build seawalls to protect their property, too, and rising water is less of a problem for erosion, again, at no cost to the State, only privately handled. More jobs, more tax revenue. If you can afford a million dollar beachfront home, you should be able to afford to protect it. I have built seawalls, it is feasible.

The principle: If there are animals in a National Park and they get out and eat my crops, I can eat those animals: fair game, and most states have crop degradation laws to allow the farmer to harvest them or to engage the services of someone else to do so. There are other rules, but those are the basics.

In this case, the encroaching and degrading object is inanimate, but the property owner should still have the right to harvest the resource and sell it, or sell the right to do so, in order to preserve the value of his property. This is something that can be removed from private property. It may well have commercial value.

Cost to the State? Zip, except to make sure no one is crossing the line to get more than they have a right to remove, and it could be a source of tax revenue by providing jobs and business income from the sale of the sand.

I'm offering a possible solution that does not involve millionaire property owners leaning on officials to have the State come in and save their dachas at taxpayer expense.

C S Lewis