Author Topic: Zombies Ate My Brain: NYT Film Critic Sees Prophecy of 'White Supremacy' in Fright Flick  (Read 472 times)

rangerrebew

Zombies Ate My Brain: NYT Film Critic Sees Prophecy of 'White Supremacy' in Fright Flick
By Clay Waters | July 18, 2017 8:49 PM EDT

New York Times film critics A.O. Scott and Jason Zinoman remember horror zombie master George Romero on the front of Tuesday Arts page, “Old Master of Horror -- In George Romero’s signature zombie films, the living make for their own fright show.”

Romero was said to have a political angle to his flicks, and Scott in particular found a bizarre relevance between the Romero classic “Night of the Living Dead" and the election of "a calm and competent African-American" in 2012 who "saves the white people from their own rashness and stupidity...and is destroyed." And then, the "white supremacy" that evidently came with Trump’s election in 2016.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/clay-waters/2017/07/18/zombies-ate-my-brain-nyt-film-critic-sees-prophecy-white-supremacy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:44:15 am by rangerrebew »

Offline goatprairie

I would guess, like other media sources, the great majority of film critics are afflicted with terminal liberalism.  I see very few modern movies,  and I'm not about to start watching them heavily.  A much larger percentage of movies made today are worse than movies pre-nineties.
Scott is considered by many to be the pre-eminent film critic in the U.S. To hear some person like Scott mouthing inanities like "white privilege" is to confirm my belief that most film criticism is virtually worthless.
I felt that for a long time especially after watching Siskel and Ebert in the early eighties trash "Excalibur"  and extravagantly praise some awful French flick "Diva" on their PBS program.  I also remember Newsweek slamming the Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns with Clint Eastwood.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
da goat wrote:
"I see very few modern movies,  and I'm not about to start watching them heavily.  A much larger percentage of movies made today are worse than movies pre-nineties."

I'm with you.
I haven't been in a movie theater since 1993 (for the documentary "Brother's Keeper").
I don't anticipate going into one again.

That doesn't mean that I don't like film. Quite the contrary.
In fact, I just stopped by here this eve after watching the original 1941 version of "The Wolfman" with Lon Chaney, Jr. Scrounged it up from the net yesterday.

I can't find an interest in contemporary films -- at least most of 'em.
Seems like these days it's all about the effects and less about the story.
Somewhere along the line the gore got to me, as well. Just not interested.
Not to mention the politics.

Insofar as the title article and its source are concerned, I wouldn't use the New York Times to wipe my greasy rear end. So there.

Offline goatprairie

da goat wrote:
"I see very few modern movies,  and I'm not about to start watching them heavily.  A much larger percentage of movies made today are worse than movies pre-nineties."

I'm with you.
I haven't been in a movie theater since 1993 (for the documentary "Brother's Keeper").
I don't anticipate going into one again.

That doesn't mean that I don't like film. Quite the contrary.
In fact, I just stopped by here this eve after watching the original 1941 version of "The Wolfman" with Lon Chaney, Jr. Scrounged it up from the net yesterday.

I can't find an interest in contemporary films -- at least most of 'em.
Seems like these days it's all about the effects and less about the story.
Somewhere along the line the gore got to me, as well. Just not interested.
Not to mention the politics.

Insofar as the title article and its source are concerned, I wouldn't use the New York Times to wipe my greasy rear end. So there.
Occasionally, there's a decent modern flick the wife and I see, but that's after poring over the listings on HBO, Showtime,  Starz, and other sources and finding little that looks interesting.  Many times we've started watching a flick that looked interesting only to be bored or disappointed ten minutes into it and turned it off.
Too many zombie flicks, superhero, supernatural, superfeminist, and super liberal p.c. movies.  I like a diverse (in the right sense) category but action flicks are my favorite.  It's difficult to find any cop movie that doesn't have a heavy liberal p.c. slant to it. It just can't be good guys catching bad guys.  And spare me the 105 lbs soaking wet female heroes whipping baddies twice their size.