Author Topic: GOP's repeal-only plan quickly collapses in Senate  (Read 1317 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP's repeal-only plan quickly collapses in Senate
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:40:27 pm »
By Jessie Hellmann and Jordain Carney - 07/18/17 12:51 PM EDT

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) says she will not support moving forward with a plan to repeal ObamaCare with a delayed replacement, effectively killing the latest legislative gambit from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

Murkowski, who had balked at the last version of the ObamaCare bill, said she is a no on the motion to proceed to a repeal-only plan. She is the third Republican senator to take that position.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/342534-gops-repeal-only-plan-quickly-collapses-in-senate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

Re: GOP's repeal-only plan quickly collapses in Senate
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:46:28 pm »
In other words, Democrats will take over the House in 2019 and the Presidency and Senate in 2021.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 05:58:31 pm »
Remember these names: 

Murkowski, Collins, Portman, Capito

Online Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:19:08 pm »
Remember the names of all the Republicans who vote to fund Obamacare for another year, and the President who signs that funding bill.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:19:34 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 06:27:00 pm »
In other words, Democrats will take over the House in 2019 and the Presidency and Senate in 2021.

Almost guaranteed now.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 07:20:25 pm »
By Jessie Hellmann and Jordain Carney - 07/18/17 12:51 PM EDT

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) says she will not support moving forward with a plan to repeal ObamaCare with a delayed replacement, effectively killing the latest legislative gambit from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

Murkowski, who had balked at the last version of the ObamaCare bill, said she is a no on the motion to proceed to a repeal-only plan. She is the third Republican senator to take that position.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/342534-gops-repeal-only-plan-quickly-collapses-in-senate

For all those who fought against the House Bill and demanded a vote on straight repeal, this is exactly why that didn't happen.  McConnell knew all along that he would even have enough votes to open debate on it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 07:56:24 pm »
Remember these names: 

Murkowski, Collins, Portman, Capito

And just to put the reality spin on reality, Collins won in 2014 with 68%. She does not face an election in 2018.

Republican Gov. La Page won with just 48% and has a current approval of 38%. He is about as "hard right," as a Republican can be.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 08:24:52 pm »
I want this vote to enshrine the ones who voted to continue the monstrosity called Obamacare.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online corbe

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 08:29:58 pm »
Trump says he'll 'let ObamaCare fail'

By Jordan Fabian - 07/18/17 12:59 PM EDT

President Trump on Tuesday said he was disappointed in the Senate's failure to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act and argued that Republicans should now let the law fail on its own.

In his first on-camera remarks about the stalemate in the Senate, Trump said it “will be a lot easier” to allow ObamaCare to falter on its own.

"I think we're probably in that position where we'll let ObamaCare fail,” he told reporters in the Roosevelt Room. “We're not going to own it. I'm not going to own it. I can tell you the Republicans are not going to own it. We'll let ObamaCare fail and then the Democrats are going to come to us.”
Venting his frustration with Congress, Trump talked of how he had heard lawmakers for seven years talk about the need to repeal and replace ObamaCare.

Given the chance to do so, “they don’t take advantage of it,” he said.

“I’m sitting in the Oval Office right next door, pen in hand, waiting to sign something,” Trump added.

Despite the defeat on healthcare reform, Trump cast his presidency as a string of victories, saying the United States was winning in the war of terrorism and that it would secure an overhaul of the tax code.

Congress has not moved forward with Trump's tax reform agenda so far, largely because of the time spent working on healthcare reform.

Trump promised to win repeal of ObamaCare upon his election, and the defeat is a significant loss for the White House.

Legislation to repeal and replace ObamaCare was approved by the House in May and was celebrated in a Rose Garden ceremony by Trump.

But it has come to a complete standstill in the Senate, where GOP leaders do not even have the votes to bring legislation repealing ObamaCare to the floor.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/342537-trump-says-hell-let-obamacare-fail
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:31:24 pm »
I want this vote to enshrine the ones who voted to continue the monstrosity called Obamacare.

They won't care.  In general, they voted that way because the particular people who elected them wanted them to vote that way.  Collins isn't going to be successfully primaried because of this vote.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 08:45:15 pm »
They won't care.  In general, they voted that way because the particular people who elected them wanted them to vote that way.  Collins isn't going to be successfully primaried because of this vote.
I think otherwise.

There is a bludgeon to be used.  Those skillful enough can use it.

We need to keep our enemies in focus.  Right now, it is those who call themselves conservative but are proved not to be.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online corbe

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 09:02:24 pm »

Mike Lee: I simply REFUSE to accept the suggestion that the votes wouldn’t be there to repeal Obamacare…

The Right Scoop    Jul. 18, 2017 12:25 pm by The Right Scoop

Mike Lee explained that he couldn’t vote for the Senate bill because it didn’t go far enough to be in line with what they promised the voters.

He also pushes back hard at the suggestion that they don’t have the votes for full repeal because two Senators have already come out and said that they can’t vote it:

I simply refuse to accept the suggestion that the votes wouldn’t be there. We wouldn’t have a 52 seat majority in the Senate. We wouldn’t have a majority in the House. We wouldn’t have a Republican in the White House right now…but for campaign promises made over and over and over again by essentially every Republican saying ‘we will repeal it.’ It’s time for us to do that.

VIDEO AT LINK

Read more: http://therightscoop.com/mike-lee-i-simply-refuse-to-accept-the-suggestion-that-the-votes-wouldnt-be-there-to-repeal-obamacare/#ixzz4nDeaNizC
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:05:04 pm »

The Republicans won't have my vote, and if others feel the same way, the Dems are a shoe-in  for all three elections.

The party has just dug its own grave.  They have only themselves to blame.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 10:10:18 pm »

Mike Lee: I simply REFUSE to accept the suggestion that the votes wouldn’t be there to repeal Obamacare…

Mike Lee explained that he couldn’t vote for the Senate bill because it didn’t go far enough to be in line with what they promised the voters.

He also pushes back hard at the suggestion that they don’t have the votes for full repeal because two Senators have already come out and said that they can’t vote it:

VIDEO AT LINK

Read more: http://therightscoop.com/mike-lee-i-simply-refuse-to-accept-the-suggestion-that-the-votes-wouldnt-be-there-to-repeal-obamacare/#ixzz4nDeaNizC

Just saw something that said McConnell is going to hold a repeal vote anyway.  I want to see a roll call vote and publish the list of votes far and wide.  Make those that vote against repeal own it
God is still in control

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 10:17:42 pm »

I haven't forgotten how that miserable POS Murkowski won her seat this last term - with the help of the GOP establishment and against grass roots conservatives.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 11:29:18 pm »
Almost guaranteed now.

Never happen. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 11:31:14 pm »

VIDEO AT LINK

That needs to be told to Lee's cohorts until they understand it.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 12:02:13 am »
I haven't forgotten how that miserable POS Murkowski won her seat this last term - with the help of the GOP establishment and against grass roots conservatives.
And against the GOP nominee approved by the voters.

HonestJohn

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 08:51:23 am »
Could've told you this the moment it was uttered from his lips.

Mitch did this to call the extremists' bluff (ie: You never let us vote on repeal only! We *KNOW* it'll pass, but you're always blocking us.  You must secretly want Obamacare!).

Or as "Fantasy Island" Mike Lee said, "I simply REFUSE to accept the suggestion that the votes wouldn’t be there to repeal Obamacare."

Well, they got exactly what they've been clamoring for.  It died in less than a day.

Now he's got cover to work with the Democrats and ignore the 10 or so Republican Senators who were politically deaf, who demanded more than what was politically possible.

And the Democrats will milk that for all it's worth.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:55:11 am by HonestJohn »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 10:11:16 am »
So post the vote. Roll call, please.

Oh Wait, they still haven't voted on it. They dismissed the idea because some RINOs got restless, without a vote. More Kabuki.

If their constituents are all for keeping Obamacare and they vote not to repeal, no biggie, right?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 11:36:49 am »
What they need to do is repeal it on midnight December 31st 2018 IF a replacement plan has been approved. If not it lives another year and go back to the table  and try again for 2018.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 01:55:57 pm »
So post the vote. Roll call, please.

Oh Wait, they still haven't voted on it. They dismissed the idea because some RINOs got restless, without a vote. More Kabuki.

If their constituents are all for keeping Obamacare and they vote not to repeal, no biggie, right?

A roll call vote would be the next best thing to passing full repeal.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 04:33:18 pm »

No, Murkowski will be re-elected, as will Collins and McConnell.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 04:38:44 pm »
No, Murkowski will be re-elected, as will Collins and McConnell.

Count on Collins to run for governor.