Author Topic: House bill includes funds for just 28 miles of Trump border wall  (Read 414 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Hill by  Niv Elis - 07/18/17

President Trump's famous border wall may be less big and beautiful than he imagined, with a House panel on Tuesday advancing a bill that would allocate funding for just 28 miles of new wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The Homeland Security bill, which passed the House Appropriations Committee, has $1.57 billion in border infrastructure funds, including $498 million for 28 miles of new levee wall in the Rio Grande Valley, amounting to $17.8 million per mile.

The bill includes another $784 million for 32 miles of new "border fencing" in the area, while $251 million was set aside for 14 miles of "secondary fencing" in San Diego, Calif.

More: http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/342610-house-bill-includes-funds-for-28-miles-of-border-wall

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: House bill includes funds for just 28 miles of Trump border wall
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:23:55 pm »
28 more miles then we had before
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 01:26:07 pm »
$17.79 million for each mile.   That must be a mighty fine wall.  Heck they build highways through cities for less then this.

Well theoretically they build highways, mostly they just stand around holding shovels up.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:15:41 pm »
$17.79 million for each mile.   That must be a mighty fine wall.  Heck they build highways through cities for less then this.

Well theoretically they build highways, mostly they just stand around holding shovels up.

That's okay.  I hear Mexico is picking up the tab.   :silly:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 02:24:56 pm »
"Trump" border wall.  :silly:

Mr Moneybags should donate a half billion and encourage his friends to do the same. The wall will be built in no time.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 02:29:00 pm »
That's okay.  I hear Mexico is picking up the tab.   :silly:

@Suppressed  @Cripplecreek
So part of the wall is getting built.  A small part but its something.

And thats still not good enough for you nevertrumpers.    Is nothing ever good enough for you?

Must be a miserable to go through life like that

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 02:48:23 pm »
@Suppressed  @Cripplecreek
So part of the wall is getting built.  A small part but its something.

And thats still not good enough for you nevertrumpers.    Is nothing ever good enough for you?

So $18 billion to get half the border walled.

And that's assuming this is a constant rate. 

Considering they are choosing an "easy" part for a demo, that's not necessarily a good assumption.  Sure, there will be savings with quantity and lessons learned, but consider also that this is going onto federal land.  85-90% of Superfund goes to legal costs, not the actual cleanup of contamination.  Can you imagine the costs to the American taxpayer to grab as much land as they'll need for the wall? 

But, again, it doesn't matter, right?  We're sold the rainbow unicorn that all of that will be paid for by Mexico.

Must be a miserable to go through life like that

You're right that reality isn't always fun.  But I choose it over blind fantasy.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:58:05 pm »
So $18 billion to get half the border walled.

And that's assuming this is a constant rate. 

Considering they are choosing an "easy" part for a demo, that's not necessarily a good assumption.  Sure, there will be savings with quantity and lessons learned, but consider also that this is going onto federal land.  85-90% of Superfund goes to legal costs, not the actual cleanup of contamination.  Can you imagine the costs to the American taxpayer to grab as much land as they'll need for the wall? 

But, again, it doesn't matter, right?  We're sold the rainbow unicorn that all of that will be paid for by Mexico.

You're right that reality isn't always fun.  But I choose it over blind fantasy.

You wanted a wall right?   

The fantasy is that you think the world is perfect and fair.   

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:19:35 pm »
You wanted a wall right?   

The fantasy is that you think the world is perfect and fair.

How many non-supporters of Trump were attacked because they disbelieved his "Mexico will pay" claim?
+++++++++

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 03:28:22 pm »
How many non-supporters of Trump were attacked because they disbelieved his "Mexico will pay" claim?

A wall alone is useless and frankly I don't see enough being done tp prevent illegals taking jobs aside from giving those otherwise illegals, legal status.  15,000 new visas approved by the administration at the urging of Trump's wealthy friends.

Trump is just slapping his fans across the face with his junk and laughing at them for wanting more.