Author Topic: Hundred-year-old law on fluid flow overturned by new research  (Read 994 times)

rangerrebew

Hundred-year-old law on fluid flow overturned by new research
July 17, 2017

Engineers from Imperial College London have dispelled a 100-year-old scientific law used to describe how fluid flows through rocks.

The discovery by researchers from Imperial could lead to a range of improvements including advances in Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS). This is where industrial emissions will be captured by CCS technology, before reaching the atmosphere, and safely stored in rock deep underground.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-07-hundred-year-old-law-fluid-overturned.html#jCp

Offline thackney

Re: Hundred-year-old law on fluid flow overturned by new research
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:06:40 pm »
...Previously, scientists have used a formula for modelling how fluids move through rocks. It's called Darcy's Extended Law and the premise of it is that gases move through rock via their own separate, stable, complex, microscopic pathways. This has been the underpinning approach used by engineers to model fluid flow for the last 100 years.

However, the Imperial scientists have discovered that rather than flowing in a relatively stable pattern through rocks, the flows are in fact very unstable. The pathways that fluids flow through actually only last for a short period of time, tens of seconds at most, before re-arranging and forming into different ones. The team have called this process dynamic connectivity....

@Smokin Joe
@IsailedawayfromFR
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:43:28 pm »
There we go, hitting away at Darcy once again, deservedly so.

The origins of the way us reservoir engineers predict fluid flow through porous media are after the scientist Henry Darcy who developed an equation called Darcy's law based upon his observations in the flow of water in aquifers.

When oil and gas came around, science used the same equations for describing this behavior.  It was not pretty, especially as it was intended for liquids, not gas, as well as single phase (liquid only) not two phase (liquids and gas) and even three phases(oil, gas and water).  Liquids frequently travel not as one but separately in the rocks. 

A lot of modifications have been made over the years to accommodate gases and multiple phases, but they also are not pretty.  The ugliest ones are what we consider to be our triumphant way to take into account non-Darcy observations, and it is the totasting of the highest caliber of reservoir engineering Cause Célèbre and that is what we call Relative Permeability.  It is a fudge factor that is extensively used to describe how up to three liquids can flow in the reservoir relative to each other.

It is based almost exclusively on empirical observation.

Bottom line:  Imperial is pointing out flaws in the way we describe our basic equations, flaws that are well known.  Should it be able to minimize the handicaps of using relative permeability curves, I am all for it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:45:15 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 01:01:07 pm »
The other item of interest here and I believe of high importance at this time is the description on how natural gases flow through the extremely low permeability rock such as in unconventionals.

The way any gas flows from the reservoir rock to the wellbore for production is due to pressure drops.  Gas easily does this as its viscosity is so low, as compared to a liquid like oil or water.  (Viscosity problems are the reason I continue to say that the numbers of horizons that contain movable hydrocarbon liquids in situ within unconventionals are limited).

However, some of these unconventional rocks have such low permeability that one can produce a well for years and still find untapped, high pressure gas just a few hundred yards away.  This is not predictable and is still not explained by Darcy's law with ultra-low permeability.

What is needed is more effort to the description of gas flow in these types of rocks.  One complicating factor that has been found is that fluid flow is traditionally been estimated in conventional rocks which are sands and carbonates.  Unconventionals are more in shales that contain much finer components, and harder to describe.

Geology invariably controls things, as @Smokin Joe will attest.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 02:30:37 pm »
There we go, hitting away at Darcy once again, deservedly so.

The origins of the way us reservoir engineers predict fluid flow through porous media are after the scientist Henry Darcy who developed an equation called Darcy's law based upon his observations in the flow of water in aquifers.

When oil and gas came around, science used the same equations for describing this behavior.  It was not pretty, especially as it was intended for liquids, not gas, as well as single phase (liquid only) not two phase (liquids and gas) and even three phases(oil, gas and water).  Liquids frequently travel not as one but separately in the rocks. 

A lot of modifications have been made over the years to accommodate gases and multiple phases, but they also are not pretty.  The ugliest ones are what we consider to be our triumphant way to take into account non-Darcy observations, and it is the totasting of the highest caliber of reservoir engineering Cause Célèbre and that is what we call Relative Permeability.  It is a fudge factor that is extensively used to describe how up to three liquids can flow in the reservoir relative to each other.

It is based almost exclusively on empirical observation.

Bottom line:  Imperial is pointing out flaws in the way we describe our basic equations, flaws that are well known.  Should it be able to minimize the handicaps of using relative permeability curves, I am all for it.

Empirical equations are very handy but are limited to the conditions under which they are developed. There are a huge number of empirical correlations in fluid mechanics that more accurately describe specific situations and are used much more than the theoretical equations. The Crane handbook is full of these used mostly in the power industry and mostly for single phase water flow, but there are gaseous and two phase flow correlations also.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 02:46:22 pm »
Cool story, and great responses.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:50:15 pm »
Empirical equations are very handy but are limited to the conditions under which they are developed. There are a huge number of empirical correlations in fluid mechanics that more accurately describe specific situations and are used much more than the theoretical equations. The Crane handbook is full of these used mostly in the power industry and mostly for single phase water flow, but there are gaseous and two phase flow correlations also.

My copy of Crane is very well used. I've done a ton of systems hydraulic calculations over the last 38 years.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 07:19:42 pm »
My copy of Crane is very well used. I've done a ton of systems hydraulic calculations over the last 38 years.
The Bible of fluid flow and reservoir engineering I have used is also well-worn.  It is simply called by its authors "Craft & Hawkins" and is known that way, although the factual name is "Applied Petroleum Reservoir Engineering".  There are other books I was taught with including one by Silvan Pierson who did not use API  units, but I always drifted back to C&H. 

In my early days, I compiled copies of empirical correlations into what turned out to be a thick, red-bound looseleaf book and it was my day-to-day guide.  It accomplished +90% of what I needed within the margin of error this engineer required.  Other engineers saw it as valuable and I sometimes allowed them to borrow it for a time.  Big mistake, as I forgot who made the last borrow and I never saw it again.  That was 20 years ago.

When technological changes occur, such as in the last 15 years when liquids began being produced from non-conventional reservoirs, a lot of these empirical observations became less than satisfactory - simply put, there were new types of reservoirs now being exploited that few empirical observations were present to utilize as the statistical database was limited.  We began "winging it".  That also proved to be a big mistake frequently as I experienced some of the worst forecasting of oil and gas production I have ever made in my +40 years in industry.

I believe Imperial is making the effort to turn the empirical observations into a physics-derived formula.  I applaud the effort as, if successful, the payoff is huge(at least until the time we have enough of a dataset in unconventionals to revert back to old-fashioned empirical usage).

One other thing I will add: I had noted in another thread months ago that in the UK, Imperial is (along with Heriot Watt) the top petroleum university.  When the oil industry took off in the UK in the 60s and 70s, the principal components of the UK Department of Energy came not from the oil industry, but from the nuclear area as the UK assigned the nuclear physicists and engineers who became redundant when a new UK breeder reactor design was shelved, into the expanded DOE.

A lot of unconventional thinking emerged in the oil industry as a consequence, mostly of a scientific bent instead of simply an engineering one.  Imperial appears engaged in the science of fluid flow.
@Joe Wooten
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:20:00 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline rodamala

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:43:26 pm »
When you use the Darcy friction coeffiecent to calculate your Reynolds Number... and the Darcy friction coefficient itself is actually calculated using the Reynold's Number, it is an iterative process.  When you add to that a dynamic flow regime, both numbers are changing.

I would venture that on some scale you can model a system somewhat accurately, but simply too much is going on in this case.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:03:23 am »
When you use the Darcy friction coeffiecent to calculate your Reynolds Number... and the Darcy friction coefficient itself is actually calculated using the Reynold's Number, it is an iterative process.  When you add to that a dynamic flow regime, both numbers are changing.

I would venture that on some scale you can model a system somewhat accurately, but simply too much is going on in this case.

Agreed. I've got several spreadsheets I've built over the years that does those calcs iteratively. Just run it out until the plot of the calc outputs flattens out, or at least approximates flattening out.....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 05:03:42 am »
The other item of interest here and I believe of high importance at this time is the description on how natural gases flow through the extremely low permeability rock such as in unconventionals.

The way any gas flows from the reservoir rock to the wellbore for production is due to pressure drops.  Gas easily does this as its viscosity is so low, as compared to a liquid like oil or water.  (Viscosity problems are the reason I continue to say that the numbers of horizons that contain movable hydrocarbon liquids in situ within unconventionals are limited).

However, some of these unconventional rocks have such low permeability that one can produce a well for years and still find untapped, high pressure gas just a few hundred yards away.  This is not predictable and is still not explained by Darcy's law with ultra-low permeability.

What is needed is more effort to the description of gas flow in these types of rocks.  One complicating factor that has been found is that fluid flow is traditionally been estimated in conventional rocks which are sands and carbonates.  Unconventionals are more in shales that contain much finer components, and harder to describe.

Geology invariably controls things, as @Smokin Joe will attest.
In the wells I did in the Bakken, what is commonly assumed to be dolomite is often a mixture of hydraulically similar grains with common sedimentological characteristics, but not all dolomite. Silt, fine sand, some clay minerals and organics, and even pelletal limestone have been observed in the wells I worked (samples I personally described). That makes the game much more complex, as there are not only the lattice distortions in dolomitization to be taken into effect but the variety of grain sizes and shapes in materials of differing density which settled in the depositional environment there, along with localized variation in the energy of that environment. 
While wells in a general area may share similar sedimentological character, the rocks can and do vary.  That is often seen in the relative durability of the tools in the downhole environment, where on some wells the entire run can be done with two or even one mud motor and bit, in others it has taken as many as eight mud motors and bits, all needing to be replaced because of the relative abrasiveness of the silica replaced dolomite and overgrown very fine sand in the formation.

That all means differing pore geometries, and affects the likelihood of natural fracturing in the formation (and whether those are healed or not), as well as the primary porosity and probability of secondary solution porosity.

It isn't a simple system, and it isn't any more layer cake than walking along and looking down at the ground will have the same material underfoot, even at a beach.

But I still think pore throat pressure drops are key to permeability for liquids in a multiphasic environment.

I saw some research being done on bubble points up in Regina years ago where they were trying to determine how to prevent pore throat choking by gas bubbles. Pressure maintenance may be the only viable solution to having areas of the reservoir effectively sealed off by gas bubbles, and pore geometry is key to getting the right fluids to flow even if the pore throats don't become blocked. (Water can flow around oil in a larger intergranular or solution space, leaving the oil trapped in the rock.)

It is a complex problem, and only looking at the rock in thin section or under SEM will get the answers, and that takes core samples.

(Try to get that on the AFE).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:38:01 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 08:50:06 am »
This may not be settled science but global warming surely is. *****rollingeyes*****