Author Topic: People Are Pretty Bad At Spotting Whether An Image Is Fake  (Read 743 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
People Are Pretty Bad At Spotting Whether An Image Is Fake
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:07:33 pm »
As you can tell by half the stuff you see flying around on social media, people are really bad at spotting if an image is “Photoshopped” and digitally altered.

Take, for example, an image that went viral earlier this month of politicians at the G20 summit that appeared to show Donald Trump, Angela Merkel, and Turkish President Erdogan all flocking around Vladimir Putin. In reality, the chair they are gathered around was empty and Putin was digitally edited in allegedly by the Russian media (image below)......

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/people-are-pretty-bad-at-spotting-whether-an-image-is-fake/all/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: People Are Pretty Bad At Spotting Whether An Image Is Fake
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:18:59 pm »
Is this the first time this was ever done? Or the first time it was caught?

Do American media resources do this, too?

I am NOT a graphics guy, but I wave watched one guy work, and it is pretty convincing.

Nothing political. Simply stuff like taking telephone lines, out of real estate photos. Putting blue sky and clouds, on a grey day real estate photo.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:58:08 pm »

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:12:39 pm »
Let it burn.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:31:26 pm »

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 12:03:55 am »

That's a nice photoshop.  One tyro error though.  The back of the chair just above Putin's left shoulder (right hand side of the image), is still covered by the jacket of the guy who is standing next to the chair in the right hand side of the image.  If that were a true image, his head would be occupying the same physical space occupied by Putin's head, which cannot be.  Perhaps he left it as a telltale?

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 12:06:30 am »
Anyone recall the Obama backwards pledge?  That's my little baby. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 01:26:11 am »
Is this the first time this was ever done? Or the first time it was caught?

Do American media resources do this, too?

I am NOT a graphics guy, but I wave watched one guy work, and it is pretty convincing.

Nothing political. Simply stuff like taking telephone lines, out of real estate photos. Putting blue sky and clouds, on a grey day real estate photo.
Naw, that stuff is all conspiracy theory, no one would ever photoshop anything....
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_images_in_the_Soviet_Union

But that was the USSR, and before photoshop...(The KGB would have sold their mothers for photoshop)

Okay, but think it wouldn't happen here? 
Really?

Now consider any movie with CGI, is just photoshop on a grand scale for the big screen, and it has been getting better and better.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 01:54:08 am »
Remember the line from King Kong, after the beast has been brought back to New York, and Carl Denham walks out before the audience and says:

"But ladies and gentlemen, seeing IS believing…"

It was, once. But no more.

I realized that photography as a record of history was all over when I first saw this: