Author Topic: Death Of Senate GOP Health Care Bill Is Giving Conservatives A Good Reason To Never Vote Republican Again  (Read 5787 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Do you realize how many votes people get simply because of name recognition?

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline RoosGirl

That was my first walk down the medical garden path. I smelled it, I swear I did... But a wife worried for her baby is hard to overrule. That's the beauty of it for them. it's a magnificent scam. And stupid crazy profits to be had.

But my ex wised up after the first one and really not much of it was me. The experience left her feeling violated and less of a woman for not being able to bear a child as she should. She wanted what they took from her back.

Then came the rope em in scare: "Oh, you've had a c-section... bearing naturally is not a good idea for you - At least be in the hospital, so if something were to happen, care is close by"

It was all bullcrap, and she delivered naturally, without incident, and got her mojo back.

Yep, I went through the same thing, and a good friend of mine at completely separate ob/gyn had the same thing.

Online Hoodat

Well, Teds amendment offered an off-ramp.

I do not believe that Ted's amendment was to be included with McConnell's bill.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

HonestJohn

I do not believe that Ted's amendment was to be included with McConnell's bill.

It was.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I'm talking about the primaries in which Trump had a huge head start because people knew who he was, or at least knew who he claimed to be.

Calling other people's posts total BS is not particularly a good way to make friends unless you don't want any.
I don't really know a polite way to indicate a wrong-headed opinion.  You really do not know about Obama do you and his lack of name recognition outside the state of Illinois at one time?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

I'm talking about the primaries in which Trump had a huge head start because people knew who he was, or at least knew who he claimed to be.

Calling other people's posts total BS is not particularly a good way to make friends unless you don't want any.

Name recognition certainly helps, but that scenario doesn't necessarily ring true.  Take a look at Bammy. He was a lawyer and a community organizer that was elected to the Illinois senate in 1996; he then became a U.S. Senator in 2005, and in 2008 was sworn in as president.  He had a tremendous ground game that out maneuvered the Clinton machine, in addition, he was young, black, articulate and a DEM.  Other than those in IL and his infamous bill S.2433, Global Poverty Act; which most did not pay attention to or even knew about, he was virtually unknown to the low information voters and ran on the promise of "change" and all that ailed America.

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

And on top of that, it's highly doubtful he would win states like Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.  He could win barely anywhere in the Deep South, but the True Conservatives still know better.

Cruz won the WI primary.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
What has Cruz done in the 5 years he's been in the Senate, he has done nothing, the true "conservatives" helped give us Obama because Romney wasn't good enough.  The True Conservatives are as useful as horns on a bull or something like that.

Yeah, first Cruz was going to design the ideal healthcare bill, then his amendment was suppose to fix things, in the end he did little.

And on top of that, it's highly doubtful he would win states like Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.  He could win barely anywhere in the Deep South, but the True Conservatives still know better.

This Senate is the least effective one they say in 65 years or something. Oh, yeah, they would have fixed it.

Yawn ... to say that Ted hasn't accomplished anything while he's been in the Senate ... well... it makes you delusional.  I should know better than to take you off ignore.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline rodamala

#NeverRepublican

Early adopter, here.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
That is just all spin.

Change what you said and insert the words 'liberal' for 'conservative', 'Illinois' for 'Texas' and 'Obama' for 'Cruz'.

If you think Cruz is just as personally charismatic as Obama, then you're just revealing your own bias.  Conservatives don't like Obama, liberals don't like Cruz.  But in terms of charisma, Obama spanks Cruz among everyone else.

Most of America is conservative bent....

That is the Great Self-Delusion.  I think what you really mean is "Most of the American I know personally and talk with on the internet are conservative."  But if most Americans as a whole were actually conservative, the Freedom Caucus would have more than 200 seats rather than just a few dozen, Cruz would have won the primary in a walk, and we'd have a heck of a lot more conservatives in the Senate.

Election after election after election in this country says you are wrong -- that a majority of Americans are not conservative.

Silver Pines

What has Cruz done in the 5 years he's been in the Senate, he has done nothing, the true "conservatives" helped give us Obama because Romney wasn't good enough.  The True Conservatives are as useful as horns on a bull or something like that.

Yeah, first Cruz was going to design the ideal healthcare bill, then his amendment was suppose to fix things, in the end he did little.

This Senate is the least effective one they say in 65 years or something. Oh, yeah, they would have fixed it.

It shocks me, @TomSea, that you supported such a man.  How do you explain it?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
@DCPatriot

See, it's basically a "safe space" for NTs.

I'm not down on Kasich like some are either, governing a state is difficult though he totally lost me with his liberal immigration stance. It doesn't mean I now despised him though.  All of them practically had redeeming qualities, Carson, Rubio, Carly and so on.

Oceander

The only ones demanding safe spaces are the ETs.

Offline Suppressed

If you think Cruz is just as personally charismatic as Obama, then you're just revealing your own bias.  Conservatives don't like Obama, liberals don't like Cruz.  But in terms of charisma, Obama spanks Cruz among everyone else.

Yes, in an objective view, that's true.  But I think it is unfair to disregard the specific charisma Sen. Cruz has, when speaking in small groups of having the opportunity for more in-depth discussions.  It's not the sickening idol type of charisma of Obama, but it's there.

That is the Great Self-Delusion.  I think what you really mean is "Most of the American I know personally and talk with on the internet are conservative."  But if most Americans as a whole were actually conservative, the Freedom Caucus would have more than 200 seats rather than just a few dozen, Cruz would have won the primary in a walk, and we'd have a heck of a lot more conservatives in the Senate.

Election after election after election in this country says you are wrong -- that a majority of Americans are not conservative.

Definitely right.  And battles don't go your way if you don't accurately assess the conditions.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Yes, in an objective view, that's true.  But I think it is unfair to disregard the specific charisma Sen. Cruz has, when speaking in small groups of having the opportunity for more in-depth discussions.  It's not the sickening idol type of charisma of Obama, but it's there.

I love Ted.  But that kind of small group charisma is what Bob Dole had (Cruz is actually more charismatic than Dole), but it doesn't really help nationally.  Cruz gets elected in Tesxas because Texans lean conservative, not because he's great at convincing non-conservatives to support a conservative.  And unless conservatives really are a true majority (and we know we're not), then to elect a true conservative, you need one who has the ability to win the votes of non-conservatives.  That's where I question Ted's ability to win on a national level.

Definitely right.  And battles don't go your way if you don't accurately assess the conditions.

I don't want MacArthur leading the charge up to the Yalu in 1950.  That didn't turn out so well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:21:34 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »