Author Topic: California set to unleash plague of less qualified lawyers  (Read 953 times)

rangerrebew

July 15, 2017
California set to unleash plague of less qualified lawyers
By Thomas Lifson

On top of high taxes, crumbling roads, a huge imported underclass, one third of the nation's poverty population, and overpaid bureaucrats, this is just what California needs to complete the destruction of its business environment and quality of life.  Elizabeth Olson writes in the New York Times:

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/07/california_set_to_unleash_plague_of_less_qualified_lawyers.html#ixzz4mztbdHKX
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Wingnut

Re: California set to unleash plague of less qualified lawyers
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 01:18:24 pm »
Less qualified lawyers?

WOuld that be considered an oxymoron.

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:41:49 pm »
The title of the post is total bullsh&t.

California's bar exam is the hardest in the country.  The states that unleash plagues of less qualified lawyers are the states with bar exams that are too easy to pass, such as Alabama.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 08:47:51 pm »
The title is correct.

As the article points out, California is relaxing its bar exam standards and will allow less qualified lawyers than currently allowed in California to pass.

What part of it do you disagree with?

@Oceander
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:48:18 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:49:13 pm »
The title is correct.

As the article points out, California is relaxing its bar exam standards and will allow less qualified lawyers than currently allowed in California to pass.

What part of it do you disagree with?

@Oceander

Because lawyers who pass California's lowered test will still be more qualified than lawyers produced by most other states.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 08:51:32 pm »
Because lawyers who pass California's lowered test will still be more qualified than lawyers produced by most other states.

Well that would depend on how low they set the bar to pass the bar.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:52:57 pm »
Well that would depend on how low they set the bar to pass the bar.

Right now its the hardest bar exam to pass.  They have a long way to go before they hit the "standards" many of the so-called red states use.

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 08:54:57 pm »
Right now its the hardest bar exam to pass.  They have a long way to go before they hit the "standards" many of the so-called red states use.

Oh snap... you didn't really go there now did you?  :rollseyes:

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:55:53 pm »
Oh snap... you didn't really go there now did you?  :rollseyes:

Yes I did.

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 08:58:11 pm »
Yes I did.

You are a hard man to love.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »
You are a hard man to love.

Such is life.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 08:31:55 pm »
That was not the point of the article.  Did you even read the article?  It is about California lowering its standards, not comparing to elsewhere.

The title remains correct.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 08:37:42 pm »

and yet California is leading the nation in circling the sewer.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 08:47:33 pm »
That was not the point of the article.  Did you even read the article?  It is about California lowering its standards, not comparing to elsewhere.

The title remains correct.

I did, and since California's standards are higher than all others right now, the lawyers who will be admitted now will still not be less qualified than those in a number of other states.  The title is misleading inasmuch as it tries to imply otherwise. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 09:03:43 pm »
Each state has licensing procedures for lawyers, doctors, teachers, contractors, engineers, etc.

As a California real estate broker, I have learned that our historical licensing practices, and legal system, are leaders in this country.

Some states use onerous licensing requirements to limit entry. California uses it to insure competence.

One lawyer friend of mine, loved his wife dearly, but she failed multiple times to pass the California Bar Exam.

So she assisted him.

My wife had a friend, who failed the real estate exam multiple times. To hear her talk, she sounded pretty bright.

Some people simply aren't cut out for exams.

Hastings-Bezerkeley is a top flight school. If their people pass at just 62%, the exam is REALLY HARD.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 09:22:05 pm »
Each state has licensing procedures for lawyers, doctors, teachers, contractors, engineers, etc.

As a California real estate broker, I have learned that our historical licensing practices, and legal system, are leaders in this country.

Some states use onerous licensing requirements to limit entry. California uses it to insure competence.

One lawyer friend of mine, loved his wife dearly, but she failed multiple times to pass the California Bar Exam.

So she assisted him.

My wife had a friend, who failed the real estate exam multiple times. To hear her talk, she sounded pretty bright.

Some people simply aren't cut out for exams.

Hastings-Bezerkeley is a top flight school. If their people pass at just 62%, the exam is REALLY HARD.

Licensing tends to be more difficult where there are more problems.   More sleazy lawyers leads to a more difficult bar.  More real estate fraud leads to harder broker standards.

California is well on its way to bankruptcy and is hardly a model on how to run a state.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 12:05:18 am »
I did, and since California's standards are higher than all others right now, the lawyers who will be admitted now will still not be less qualified than those in a number of other states.  The title is misleading inasmuch as it tries to imply otherwise.
You are the one implying something not in the article.

The article CLEARLY states that California has high standards when it comes to the bar.

Why must you insist that the article is incorrect in its title?

Oh, I must have forgotten, you must be a lawyer.

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 12:13:07 am »
You are the one implying something not in the article.

The article CLEARLY states that California has high standards when it comes to the bar.

Why must you insist that the article is incorrect in its title?

Oh, I must have forgotten, you must be a lawyer.

:rolleyes: