Author Topic: McCain’s surgery puts Obamacare repeal vote in doubt  (Read 5499 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McCain’s surgery puts Obamacare repeal vote in doubt
« on: July 16, 2017, 01:45:11 am »

By Seung Min Kim

07/15/2017 09:02 PM EDT

Sen. John McCain underwent surgery to remove a blood clot above his left eye and will stay in Arizona to recover next week – denying Republicans a key vote in their push to repeal Obamacare, where the GOP already has no room for error.

Republican leaders want to hold a procedural vote to launch debate on its health care plan next week, with Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn telling the Associated Press that he expected the chamber to vote to take up its bill on “Tuesday night or Wednesday at the latest.”

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/15/mccain-out-surgery-obamacare-repeal-240595
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goodwithagun

Re: McCain’s surgery puts Obamacare repeal vote in doubt
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 01:55:50 am »
If he's already going to be under, he might want to consider including spine and/or testical implants.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 02:22:40 am »
    Pu$$Y, didn't stop Harry Reid from Voting after his brother beat him up..

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 02:29:38 am »
Title is misleading.  Obamacare is not being repealed.  It is being 'corrected'.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 02:31:15 am »
Title is misleading.  Obamacare is not being repealed.  It is being 'corrected'.
They're just changing the sign and the name on the door, everything else, including the menu will be familiar.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 02:46:49 am »
   These feckless bastards can't even rename and resuscitate the damn thing.   This winning is making me nauseous.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 02:55:28 am »
Sounds like we almost lost McCain despite what the media is saying.

Dr Milton Wolf pointing out that there is no such thing as a "minimally invasive Craniectomy" and a 5 cm hematoma is huge inside the skull.

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 03:06:24 am »
They're just changing the sign and the name on the door, everything else, including the menu will be familiar.

And politically owned by the GOP.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 03:11:30 am »

What repeal?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 03:15:20 am »
I have not been able to find a straightforward explanation of where we are regarding the individual mandate.  Anyone know the latest on that?  There had been some discussion about different types of "incentives" to get people to purchase insurance including a penalty of NOT being able to purchase insurance for a certain amount of time if you allow it to lapse.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 03:19:52 am »
I have not been able to find a straightforward explanation of where we are regarding the individual mandate.  Anyone know the latest on that?  There had been some discussion about different types of "incentives" to get people to purchase insurance including a penalty of NOT being able to purchase insurance for a certain amount of time if you allow it to lapse.

Good question.  From my understanding the bill that left the House did away with the individual mandate.  I don't see why the Senate would change that.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 03:29:03 am »
   Can't Sen. McCain authorize any US Senator to vote for him as proxy on any given vote?  He doesn't really doesn't trust Flake much, but, who does.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 03:37:39 am »
   Can't Sen. McCain authorize any US Senator to vote for him as proxy on any given vote?  He doesn't really doesn't trust Flake much, but, who does.

I don't know for sure but it seems like there should be some provision for that in case of an important bill.

I'm just in 'wake me when it's over' mode now.

I want to lose our bet but it's not looking that great.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 06:55:25 am »

I don't think proxies are allowed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 08:45:50 am »
I don't think proxies are allowed.
He'd likely vote with the Dems anyway.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 11:57:03 am »

That's what ticks me off.  Everyone calls this bill a repeal. They called the House version a repeal.  These are not repeals.  They are changes, but Obamacare will still be there in some form. No one it seems will tell it like it is:  The Republicans have lied to the voters.   They have no intention of repealing "root and branch" as they promised.  Obamacare has given our government people a taste of what it will be like to have the power overy life and death over everyone dls3.  They won't be satisfied till they get that power completely and permanently. 

Stupid voters like me fell for the promises.  And when these bums come up for re-election, we will vote for them again.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 02:43:35 pm »
@corbe
@Hoodat

No, the proxy is not allowed under rules in both House and Senate.

The rules of some assemblies presently forbid proxy voting. For example, in both houses of the U.S. Congress, as well as in most if not all state legislatures, each member must be present and cast his own vote for that vote to be counted. This can result, however, in the absence of a quorum and the need to compel attendance by a sufficient number of missing members to get a quorum.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 02:55:29 pm »
   The DEMS wheeling ol Byrd in to vote from his gurney should have been my clue.

Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 03:05:49 pm »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 04:09:45 pm »
Gee ... with all the technology these days, you mean to tell me he can't e-mail , text, or call in his vote?  They can't put a camera on him, showing him casting his vote? McConnell was handed a gift to delay the vote and he's using it, knowing full well the bill doesn't have enough votes. Paul, Collins and possibly Lee will be voting against it. If Lee or any other member of the GOP votes against the bill, it fails. 

They've wasted a lot of time, when they have a bill that was previously passed but vetoed by Bammy; President Trump would have signed it. This circus could have been avoided a long time ago.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:11:58 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 04:18:38 pm »
Gee ... with all the technology these days, you mean to tell me he can't e-mail , text, or call in his vote?  They can't put a camera on him, showing him casting his vote? .../

Skype.

Offline libertybele

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 04:32:51 pm »
Gee ... with all the technology these days, you mean to tell me he can't e-mail , text, or call in his vote?  They can't put a camera on him, showing him casting his vote? McConnell was handed a gift to delay the vote and he's using it, knowing full well the bill doesn't have enough votes. Paul, Collins and possibly Lee will be voting against it. If Lee or any other member of the GOP votes against the bill, it fails. 

They've wasted a lot of time, when they have a bill that was previously passed but vetoed by Bammy; President Trump would have signed it. This circus could have been avoided a long time ago.

Won't Rand Paul vote against it as well?

Offline corbe

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 05:46:31 pm »
   It would probably be easier to repeal and replace McCain than this CF known as obummercare.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 05:49:58 pm »

Omigosh... memories.  Those old fools live so long, it's like they have some sort of demonic possession.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.