Author Topic: Illegal Immigrants Face Criminal Charges for First Offenses  (Read 722 times)

Online Hoodat

Illegal Immigrants Face Criminal Charges for First Offenses

Program is part of the Trump administration’s effort to deter illegal border crossings; 565 prosecutions since June

Associated Press     |     Updated July 14, 2017 9:43 p.m. ET

PHOENIX—Migrants who are caught crossing the border illegally for the first time are now facing criminal charges in federal court in Arizona as the Trump administration steps up efforts to deter illegal immigration.

Until recently, first-time offenders were deported instead of being criminally prosecuted.

That changed as of June in the Tucson Sector, which includes most of Arizona’s border with Mexico, the agency said in a news release on Thursday. The new program has led to 565 prosecutions.

The illegal immigrants are charged with misdemeanors and tried in federal court under Operation Streamline, a 12-year-old initiative in which the migrants are charged, enter pleas and are sentenced within a few minutes in large groups.

A recent docket for Operation Streamline, which takes place in Tucson several times a week, shows that 58 immigrants were tried on Thursday. About 35 were first-time offenders who were charged with improper entry. The rest were migrants who have previously been caught at the border and were charged with illegal re-entry.

A decline in the number of people crossing the border has freed up resources for the Border Patrol to go after first-time offenders, the agency said.

In April, the number of people apprehended on the southwest border trying to enter the U.S. fell to its lowest level in nearly two decades.

The program for first-time offenders is already in place in one part of Texas and was previously in effect in Tucson, although it has been several years since it was used.

The program “is aimed specifically to deter people from coming to the country illegally in a way that prevents deaths,” Tucson Sector spokesman Daniel Hernandez said. “It creates consequences in the west desert region where we’re having a lot of people distressed.”

The Tucson Sector has seen a rash of heat deaths and rescues during the past few weeks.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/illegal-immigrants-face-criminal-charges-for-first-offenses-1500072081

Arresting illegals for breaking the law?  What a novel concept.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Oceander

Re: Illegal Immigrants Face Criminal Charges for First Offenses
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 08:10:04 pm »
So, instead of sending them back, we're convicting them and sticking them in prisons we're paying for?

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:15:37 pm »
So, instead of sending them back, we're convicting them and sticking them in prisons we're paying for?

Yes, that's how the criminal justice system works.  You break the law, you go to jail.  Duh.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:16:55 pm »
Yes, that's how the criminal justice system works.  You break the law, you go to jail.  Duh.

You don't seem to have got the essential point:  we deport them, we don't pay a dime for them thereafter.  We put them in prison, we pay tens of thousands of dollars a year for each one.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:20:26 pm »
You don't seem to have got the essential point:  we deport them, we don't pay a dime for them thereafter.

Uh, no.  We pay the cost of catching them again and again and again.  Plus we pay the cost of encouraging others to cross because they know nothing will happen to them if they are caught.  And then there's the cost of the other illegal activities they engage in.  If they have no problem breaking one law, then they have no problem breaking others as well.

Of course we could take your premise and apply it to other situations as well.  How about if all criminals caught on first offenses in Virginia were shipped across the river to Maryland.  Wouldn't cost the Commonwealth of Virginia a dime afterward, eh?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:23:46 pm by Hoodat »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 09:19:50 pm »
Agreed.  They need to be deported and ... BUILD THE WALL!!  Man the wall, with drones and armed guards and anyone sneaking over the border will be considered an enemy of the U.S. and will be shot.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 09:26:50 pm »
You don't seem to have got the essential point:  we deport them, we don't pay a dime for them thereafter.  We put them in prison, we pay tens of thousands of dollars a year for each one.

What about ... we deport them, they come back.

We put them in jail, they stay in jail.  For a while, anyway.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 09:28:16 pm »
Agreed.  They need to be deported and ... BUILD THE WALL!!  Man the wall, with drones and armed guards and anyone sneaking over the border will be considered an enemy of the U.S. and will be shot.

We can deport them AFTER the wall is up and working.  Till then, I think jail works for me.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 10:07:26 pm »
We can deport them AFTER the wall is up and working.  Till then, I think jail works for me.

I disagree.  They sit in our jails and prisons all supported by our tax dollars.  Deport them and most importantly fingerprint them and enter their information into a database; those who are caught and deported should NEVER be eligible for citizenship. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 10:24:38 pm »

I don't think the point is to put them in jail.  I think the point is to stop the catch-and-release policy we've had.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fantom

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 10:39:18 pm »

How about caught the first time, full biometrcs, deported, no chance at Citizenship and charge the country of origin all costs. They don't pay.. the boarder is closed to them.. no flights...nada.

Second time, send them to a processing center in Zimbabwe. I am sure we can strike a deal with Mugabe to see to their care until the one Judge gets around to their case. If they don't show up Meh....  :shrug: guess they like it there.  Probably costs a dollar a day per head.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:10 am »

How about caught the first time, full biometrcs, deported, no chance at Citizenship and charge the country of origin all costs. They don't pay.. the boarder is closed to them.. no flights...nada.

Second time, send them to a processing center in Zimbabwe. I am sure we can strike a deal with Mugabe to see to their care until the one Judge gets around to their case. If they don't show up Meh....  :shrug: guess they like it there.  Probably costs a dollar a day per head.
Might improve things in Zim. Some of the n00bs might actually know how to farm...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fantom

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 12:46:29 am »
Might improve things in Zim. Some of the n00bs might actually know how to farm...

Heh...hadn't  thought of that.  888high58888
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass