Author Topic: Mattis opposes plan to create new military branch for space  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Suppressed

Mattis opposes plan to create new military branch for space
BY REBECCA KHEEL - 07/12/17 12:09 PM EDT
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/341650-mattis-opposes-space-corps-plan

Defense Secretary James Mattis opposes a provision in the House’s version of the annual defense policy bill that would create a new military branch dedicated to space, a development congressional opponents of the move are hoping will bolster their position.

In a letter released Wednesday by Rep. Michael Turner (R-Ohio), Mattis argued now is not the time to create a new branch of the military.

“I strongly urge Congress to reconsider the proposal of a separate service Space Corps,” Mattis wrote in a letter to Turner. “I believe it is premature at add additional organization and administrative tail to the department at a time I am trying to reduce overhead.”

Turner is pushing an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that would strip out the provision creating the service and replace it with a requirement for the Pentagon to study the issue.

Turner introduced a similar amendment when the Armed Services Committee considered the bill, but it failed in a voice vote.

“I don’t know of any other circumstance, and there may have been, where the secretary of the Air Force and the secretary of Defense weighed in an amendment,” Turner said.

Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson has also voiced her opposition to the Space Corps plan, arguing it would add unneeded bureaucracy to the Pentagon. She reiterated her concerns in her own letter to Turner.

In Wednesday’s conference call, Turner said the chairmen of the Intelligence Committee and Appropriations Committee have also voiced their concerns to him about the plan.

Turner acknowledged there are issues with how the military handles space, but argued that it’s Congress’s fault for not giving the Pentagon the funding it needs.

Creating the Space Corps, he said, would be saddling a new Defense secretary and new Air Force secretary with a congressionally mandated new military branch before they have time to fully study the issue.

In his letter, Mattis also argued the issue needs to be studied more and that removing budget caps would be a better start to fixing the problem.

Excerpt.  Read more at http://thehill.com/policy/defense/341650-mattis-opposes-space-corps-plan
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: Mattis opposes plan to create new military branch for space
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 03:02:18 pm »
He's right.  Another military branch is a very bad idea. 

Actually branches of the military, with the resulting inter-service rivalries, have been a bane to the US defense budget and military planning:  the politics of such things are such that you can't get expensive new weapons systems for one branch without increasing expenditures on the others, even if foreseeable military needs don't warrant increased expenditures on the other branches.

As I have observed before here and in other forums, I very much support the US being able to project military power world wide.  I am, however, dubious that to do so we need to outspend the next ten (or on some accounts thirteen) national military budgets combined, especially when any realistic war we will be fighting at most two of those powers, with at least two of the others as allies.  The phenomenon of the political need to give every branch of the service something expensive when one branch has a genuine military need for something expensive is part of what drives military spending in the US.  I think the hangar queens the Air Force have been buying lately have been pointless (the F-22, really? why? at least the F-35 has other countries buying it, too), and were just a sop to the Air Force for genuinely necessary spending on the Army occasioned by the needs of wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:30:41 pm »
Space should one day be a Navy concern anyways.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 03:40:32 pm »
It wouldn't be a full fledged branch of the military with thousands of personnel. More of a tiny twig of the military with a couple dozen personnel. There certainly wouldn't be any launches and any potential military astronauts would go along on private and NASA launches. Sounds like it will mostly be a study group early on.

Our military will need to expand into space to protect our growing interests there much like our military went west with early American settlers.

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 06:00:30 pm »
It wouldn't be a full fledged branch of the military with thousands of personnel. More of a tiny twig of the military with a couple dozen personnel. There certainly wouldn't be any launches and any potential military astronauts would go along on private and NASA launches. Sounds like it will mostly be a study group early on.

Our military will need to expand into space to protect our growing interests there much like our military went west with early American settlers.

If it wouldn't be a full-fledged branch of the military, then they should wipe out the portion of that bill that makes it one.    Absolutely no logical reason that a "tiny twig" needs to be made a fifth branch.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 06:52:50 pm »
Space should one day be a Navy concern anyways.

Star Trek did name their ships after US Navy Carriers, didn't they?

But before we go there - providing a branch that supports Space - lets first be able to get to space without relying on the "Russians" to take us there.
Think about this. No American can get higher than 16 miles off the ground without Russia. Unthinkable in the 60s, 70s, 80s, & 90s. yet here we are.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 07:59:43 pm »
They should be Rangers. 

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Let it burn.

HonestJohn

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 09:45:24 pm »
The Ren and Stimpy Show S1 E06 - Space Madness

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3hcph3

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 12:49:22 pm »
Each branch already has a way for people to get into the space program...no need to reinvent the wheel.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 04:07:59 pm »
Each branch already has a way for people to get into the space program...no need to reinvent the wheel.

A little extra bureaucracy never hurt anything, did it?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 04:27:26 pm »
A little extra bureaucracy never hurt anything, did it?

Never does it much good either LOL!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 04:32:08 pm »
So basically this elevates NASA from agency status to Branch status?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 05:11:24 pm »
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 05:46:30 pm »
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
A soliloquy that rivals Shakespeare, with its flawless delivery.

Amazing that Hauer basically wrote that, chopping apart the script without Ridley Scott's knowledge.

+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 05:47:53 pm »
So basically this elevates NASA from agency status to Branch status?

This is the addition of bureaucracy.  NASA would remain.  This just adds another branch under the Air Force, similar to how the Marines are under the Navy.
+++++++++

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 06:23:12 pm »
He's right.  Another military branch is a very bad idea. 

Actually branches of the military, with the resulting inter-service rivalries, have been a bane to the US defense budget and military planning:  the politics of such things are such that you can't get expensive new weapons systems for one branch without increasing expenditures on the others, even if foreseeable military needs don't warrant increased expenditures on the other branches.

As I have observed before here and in other forums, I very much support the US being able to project military power world wide.  I am, however, dubious that to do so we need to outspend the next ten (or on some accounts thirteen) national military budgets combined, especially when any realistic war we will be fighting at most two of those powers, with at least two of the others as allies.  The phenomenon of the political need to give every branch of the service something expensive when one branch has a genuine military need for something expensive is part of what drives military spending in the US.  I think the hangar queens the Air Force have been buying lately have been pointless (the F-22, really? why? at least the F-35 has other countries buying it, too), and were just a sop to the Air Force for genuinely necessary spending on the Army occasioned by the needs of wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Interesting post and I agree with you.  You obviously know a lot more about the military than I do, but just looking at it in a surface way, I see no point in creating another branch of service.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.