Author Topic: Why Congress Wants To Save The Navy’s Iconic Wool Peacoat From Retirement  (Read 752 times)

rangerrebew

Why Congress Wants To Save The Navy’s Iconic Wool Peacoat From Retirement
By Sarah Sicard
on July 6, 2017

The Navy is known for its delightful uniform choices, from its iconic dress whites to the signature bucket hat. But no item is as recognizable in American pop culture (and American retailers) as the double-breasted wool peacoat that sailors have worn in some variation since the U.S broke away from Great Britain.

That was, at least, until the Navy announced in August 2016 that it would do away with the heavy outerwear in favor of a less expensive black synthetic parka, a change that would take effect in 2020. But in evaluating the branch’s fiscal year 2018 budget, the House Armed Services Committee decided it may want to save the beloved peacoat — not because of its iconic status, but to preserve America’s “domestic textile industrial base.”

http://taskandpurpose.com/congress-wants-save-navy-peacoat-retirement/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:55:43 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

But in evaluating the branch’s fiscal year 2018 budget, the House Armed Services Committee decided it may want to save the beloved peacoat — not because of its iconic status, but to preserve America’s “domestic textile industrial base.”

Ah, yes, centralized government, taking from the taxpayers to bailout businesses.  What a wonderful thing.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Ah, yes, centralized government, taking from the taxpayers to bailout businesses.  What a wonderful thing.

At least they are trying to help American businesses instead of pushing business and jobs offshore.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I liked my Navy reefer, but keeping it just to employ textile workers is bogus.  Parka probably makes more sense.

Offline Axeslinger

After 30 years, my peacoat is STILL my favorite winter coat!

Keep it!! Best coat ever
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Wool is warm, even when wet. I had one of those coats, and it was good for any weather I ever encountered in the Shenandoah Valley (10 above). Save the parkas for the real cold.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

After 30 years, my peacoat is STILL my favorite winter coat!

Keep it!! Best coat ever

Oh yeah!  I've had mine for 45 years and it's still good as new! :patriot: