Author Topic: The county that gave Clinton only 5 votes  (Read 2210 times)

Offline corbe

The county that gave Clinton only 5 votes
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:56:58 pm »

By Reid Wilson - 07/11/17 06:00 AM EDT

Hillary Clinton won just five votes from Texas’s King County in last year’s presidential election, a stunningly low total from what was once a true-blue source of votes for Democrats.

John F. Kennedy won 77 percent of the vote in King County in 1960, three years after the town of Guthrie was immortalized in “On the Road.” Author Jack Kerouac would have visited a deeply Democratic bastion when he rushed through Guthrie, but more than 50 years later the area has turned almost completely against Democrats, highlighting a dramatic change in voting patterns that both parties are struggling to manage.

Clinton’s five votes in King County represented her lowest total of any county in America. Trump received 149 votes in the county, which is an hour and a half east of Lubbock.

When Richard Nixon won the White House in 1968, he scored a narrow plurality over Hubert Humphrey in Prince George’s County, Md., just across the Anacostia River from the nation’s capital. Forty-eight years later, Donald Trump won 8.4 percent of the vote there, his worst performance outside Washington, D.C., where he won just 4.1 percent of the vote.
As the American electorate grows more diverse, and as a rising generation of millennials begins supplanting formerly dominant baby boomers, two nations that live side by side are increasingly walling themselves off from each other.

That divide is a conscious choice, one that experts say influences how we interact with each other, where we move, what news we consume and, increasingly, how we vote.

This is the ninth part in The Hill’s Changing America series, in which we explore the trends shaping society and politics today. Those trends — the rising success of large metropolitan areas contrasted with the struggles of rural counties, the diversity of millennials and the political polarization of boomers — have conspired to create what demographers call the Great Sort.

And all signs indicate the Great Sort is intensifying.

Nearly 59 percent of Americans — almost 187 million of us — live in counties that voted for Clinton or Trump by 20 or more percentage points. An incredible 1,559 counties gave Trump more than 70 percent of the vote in 2016, and 99 gave Clinton the same percentage.

That’s a marked contrast from the 2000 election, when another Democratic candidate also won the popular vote while losing the Electoral College. That year, George W. Bush took 70 percent of the vote in just 546 counties. Al Gore won the same percentage in 46 counties.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/341373-changing-america-the-county-that-gave-clinton-only-5-votes
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: The county that gave Clinton only 5 votes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 09:21:55 pm »

By Reid Wilson - 07/11/17 06:00 AM EDT

Hillary Clinton won just five votes from Texas’s King County in last year’s presidential election, a stunningly low total from what was once a true-blue source of votes for Democrats.

John F. Kennedy won 77 percent of the vote in King County in 1960, three years after the town of Guthrie was immortalized in “On the Road.” Author Jack Kerouac would have visited a deeply Democratic bastion when he rushed through Guthrie, but more than 50 years later the area has turned almost completely against Democrats, highlighting a dramatic change in voting patterns that both parties are struggling to manage.

Clinton’s five votes in King County represented her lowest total of any county in America. Trump received 149 votes in the county, which is an hour and a half east of Lubbock.

When Richard Nixon won the White House in 1968, he scored a narrow plurality over Hubert Humphrey in Prince George’s County, Md., just across the Anacostia River from the nation’s capital. Forty-eight years later, Donald Trump won 8.4 percent of the vote there, his worst performance outside Washington, D.C., where he won just 4.1 percent of the vote.
As the American electorate grows more diverse, and as a rising generation of millennials begins supplanting formerly dominant baby boomers, two nations that live side by side are increasingly walling themselves off from each other.

That divide is a conscious choice, one that experts say influences how we interact with each other, where we move, what news we consume and, increasingly, how we vote.

This is the ninth part in The Hill’s Changing America series, in which we explore the trends shaping society and politics today. Those trends — the rising success of large metropolitan areas contrasted with the struggles of rural counties, the diversity of millennials and the political polarization of boomers — have conspired to create what demographers call the Great Sort.

And all signs indicate the Great Sort is intensifying.

Nearly 59 percent of Americans — almost 187 million of us — live in counties that voted for Clinton or Trump by 20 or more percentage points. An incredible 1,559 counties gave Trump more than 70 percent of the vote in 2016, and 99 gave Clinton the same percentage.

That’s a marked contrast from the 2000 election, when another Democratic candidate also won the popular vote while losing the Electoral College. That year, George W. Bush took 70 percent of the vote in just 546 counties. Al Gore won the same percentage in 46 counties.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/341373-changing-america-the-county-that-gave-clinton-only-5-votes
This should rate a high spot in "America's Best Places to Live".

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 10:33:21 pm »
From the article:
"Clinton’s five votes in King County represented her lowest total of any county in America. Trump received 149 votes in the county, which is an hour and a half east of Lubbock."

A total of 154 votes (for both of them)?
In the entire country?

Sounds like "all hat and no cattle" to me!

How many people does it take to comprise a "county" in Texas?

Someone from "down there", please explain...

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:46:28 am »
From the article:
"Clinton’s five votes in King County represented her lowest total of any county in America. Trump received 149 votes in the county, which is an hour and a half east of Lubbock."

In the entire country?

Actually, the voter count was way way up compared to last several elections.  https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/historical/king.shtml

The total population of 286 makes it the second lowest populated county in the state.

With 56% of the total population voting, contrast that to say, Cook County Illinois where only 701,525 of the 5,194,675 or 13.5% of the population actually voted in 2016.

Maybe you were concerned all those Texas cattle of being of legal voting age?

A bit dated, but the cattle population is shown to be 7,952.  http://www.texascounties.net/statistics/cattle2012.htm

Oh, and Loving County has a population of 86.

We have big ranches here and it don't take many people to run them.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:48:26 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:51:38 am »
In the entire county?

Some people like to live in the wiiiiide open spaces...

From:  http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/statesub.php?year=2016&fips=48301&f=0&off=0&elect=0

Loving County TX 2016 Election Results

Pres. cand.         VP cand.                Party           votes    %

Donald J. Trump  Michael R. Pence    Republican    58    89.23%
Hillary Clinton     Timothy Kaine        Democratic     4      6.15%
Dr. Jill Stein        Ajamu Baraka        Green             2      3.08%
Gary Johnson      William F. Weld      Libertarian      1      1.54%
   total votes                                                       65

Total population: 82
(which is about double that of a decade earlier!)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:53:32 am by unite for individuality »
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:29:57 am »
   Appreciate the TX Love here and the Loving County references was just the icing on the cake  :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uewrSagO-r4
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 02:31:40 am »
From the article:

In the entire country?

Counties in Texas (and many other states that have a lot of flat land) are mostly fixed size squares. It doesn't matter how many people actually reside in them. You could have a county-sized area that is totally devoid of population and it would still technically be a county, I'd think.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline rodamala

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 12:55:00 pm »
   Appreciate the TX Love here and the Loving County references was just the icing on the cake  :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uewrSagO-r4

Having spent a good majority of my life in 2012-2015 working the oil patch on the railroad from Monahans up to Lovington, NM...  the lyrics of that song envoke familiar feelings.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 01:30:28 pm »
From the article:

In the entire country?

Counties are not formed on number of people. When King county was formed, it probably had a lot more people there, mostly farm/ranch hands, but now it does not take as many men to run either operation and most counties west of I35 have lost population.

My old home county (Glasscock) was featured a few years ago as the "Most Republican County in the US" when it was noticed that Gore/Kerry/0bama got less than 10% of the vote. When I was growing up there, that was the Republican take of the general vote. There was not even an organized Republican party there. All Republican campaign folks would come from Midland which was a R hotbed back then. That hanged in the 80's when Reagan forced conservative Democrats to see how their party left them behind.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:33:18 pm by Joe Wooten »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 01:34:29 pm »
From the article:

In the entire country?

LOL, no, lots of cattle.  I love this from Wikipedia:  "King County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, its population was 286,[1] making it the second-least populous county in Texas and the third-least populous of any county in the United States. King County has no incorporated communities. Its county seat is the Census Designated Place of Guthrie.[2] The county was created in 1876 and organized in 1891.[3] It is named for William Philip King, who died at the Battle of the Alamo.

Republican Drew Springer, Jr., a businessman from Muenster in Cooke County, has since January 2013 represented King County in the Texas House of Representatives.[4]"

Offline Rodrigo

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 03:49:00 pm »
If I am not mistaken, King County is composed entirely of the KING Ranch.  The whole county, ONE ranch.  Lots of wide, and I do mean WIDE open spaces there.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 03:56:27 pm »
If I am not mistaken, King County is composed entirely of the KING Ranch.  The whole county, ONE ranch.  Lots of wide, and I do mean WIDE open spaces there.

Hey, Rodrigo.  Haven't seen you here before.  Are you a fellow Texan?

And, if I remember correctly, the King Ranch is down in way south Texas.  Right?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 04:09:44 pm »

King County is a long ways from the King Ranch

https://king-ranch.com/about-us/maps/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:11:37 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 05:38:17 pm »

Nope. The King Ranch sprawls over 6 counties in South Texas, most of Kleberg County and much of Kenedy County, with portions extending into Brooks, Jim Wells, Nueces, and Willacy Counties.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 07:17:52 pm »
Nope. The King Ranch sprawls over 6 counties in South Texas, most of Kleberg County and much of Kenedy County, with portions extending into Brooks, Jim Wells, Nueces, and Willacy Counties.

And, taken together, encompasses more land than the entire STATE of Rhode Island.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 07:29:39 pm »
Largest county in US, "With an area of 20,105 square miles, San Bernardino County is the largest county in the United States by area, although some of Alaska's boroughs and census areas are larger. It is larger than each of the nine smallest states, larger than the four smallest states combined, and larger than 70 different sovereign nations."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 07:38:24 pm »
Largest county in US, "With an area of 20,105 square miles, San Bernardino County is the largest county in the United States by area, although some of Alaska's boroughs and census areas are larger. It is larger than each of the nine smallest states, larger than the four smallest states combined, and larger than 70 different sovereign nations."

Boroughs are counties, they just use a different name.  Like parishes in Louisiana.  Inside the Boroughs are separate city,town governments.

The North Slope Borough, Alaska is  95,000 square miles.
http://www.north-slope.org/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 09:53:24 pm »
Texas used to have several very large counties, but sometime in the 19th century a law was passed that no county seat could be more than a days wagon ride from any point in the county. That caused a lot of small counties to be formed.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 10:34:10 pm »
King Ranch sprawls across 825,000 acres of South Texas land, an area larger than the state of Rhode Island.

As the home of 35,000 cattle and over 200 Quarter Horses, King Ranch is one of the largest ranches in the world today. In addition to the properties in South Texas, King Ranch also owns and maintains farming land in Florida.

God bless Texas!

Principles matter. Words matter.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 02:33:49 am »
Yes, you are mistaken.  King Ranch is mostly in Kleberg County.  I used to live in Kingsville.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:22 am »
She probably made up for it in places like Cleveland and Detroit, with 150% of the vote.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 03:19:52 pm »
She probably made up for it in places like Cleveland and Detroit, with 150% of the vote.

:silly:

Vote early, vote often

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »

Bet it's heck working in that counties Sheriff's Dept.  See ya in an hour.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 05:12:25 am »
Bet it's heck working in that counties Sheriff's Dept.  See ya in an hour.

I-40 passes through San Bernardino County.
It passes through a valley where the land is sloped
to where you can see the entire valley
from most places along the highway.
It's impressive to actually SEE how big the valley is!

When there's a train on the railway that also passes through that valley,
it looks like a millipede crawling across the street.
It takes a half hour to cross the valley!
And there's not one house in the entire valley!

Just after you turn off I-15 onto I-40,
there are signs reminding you to check your fuel.
"Last gas station for next 100 miles."
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao