Author Topic: NASA is studying fungi to keep space travelers safe on new worlds  (Read 1126 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
eurekalert.org 7/10/2017

Human presence in closed habitats that may one day be used to explore other planets is associated with changes in the composition of the fungal community - the mycobiome - that grows on surfaces inside the habitat, according to a study published in the open access journal Microbiome.

Dr Kasthuri Venkateswaran, Senior Research Scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Caltech, and corresponding author of the study said: "Our study is the first report on the mycobiome of a simulated habitat meant for the future human habitation of other planets. We used the Inflatable Lunar/Mars Analog Habitat (ILMAH), a unique, simulated closed environment that mimics the conditions found on the International Space Station and possible human habitats on other planets. We showed that the overall fungal diversity changed when humans were present."

The researchers found that certain kinds of fungi - including known pathogens that can colonize the human body and cause allergies, asthma and skin infections - increased in number while humans were living inside the ILMAH. Prolonged stays in closed habitats might be stressful for inhabitants and thus lead to decreased immune response, making people more vulnerable to opportunistic pathogens like fungi.

More: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-07/bc-nis070617.php

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: NASA is studying fungi to keep space travelers safe on new worlds
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 03:47:48 am »
They'd better, otherwise we'll be hearing about the toe cheeze that ate Europa!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 03:57:21 am »
The fact that these dopes think we are ever going to live on another planet tells me they are eating their own magic fungi.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 03:59:39 am »
The fact that these dopes think we are ever going to live on another planet tells me they are eating their own magic fungi.

Ha Ha. You know what those grow out of....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 04:05:39 am »
Ha Ha. You know what those grow out of....

They're magic mushrooms so it must be unicorn shit.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 04:06:25 am »
They're magic mushrooms so it must be unicorn shit.
Unicorn, bovine, buffalo, but you got the last part right!

C S Lewis