Author Topic: Trump Puts Squeeze on Beijing over North Korea  (Read 684 times)

Offline endicom

Trump Puts Squeeze on Beijing over North Korea
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:39:53 pm »
World Affairs
Gordon G. Chang
July 17, 2017

“Recently, certain people, talking about the Korean peninsula nuclear issue, have been exaggerating and giving prominence to the so-called ‘China responsibility theory,’” said Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang on Tuesday, referring indirectly to Trump administration officials. “I think this either shows lack of a full, correct knowledge of the issue, or there are ulterior motives for it, trying to shift responsibility.”

Beijing expressed more than just irritation with Washington. “Asking others to do work, but doing nothing themselves is not OK,” Geng said. “Being stabbed in the back is really not OK.”

Language this intemperate is rarely heard from government officials in public, especially diplomats, and it tells us that US-China relations are about to spiral downward.

And, frankly, that would be a good thing.

More... http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/blog/gordon-g-chang/trump-puts-squeeze-beijing-over-north-korea

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Trump Puts Squeeze on Beijing over North Korea
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:09:29 pm »
Good! Now we have someone who will not roll over and ask for a belly scratch from the Chinese.....

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:15:15 pm »
Good! Now we have someone who will not roll over and ask for a belly scratch from the Chinese.....

Well, he already handed them our wallet (South CHina Sea, etc.). Good if he's getting tougher.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 04:21:19 pm »
Well, he already handed them our wallet (South CHina Sea, etc.). Good if he's getting tougher.

How did he hand them our wallet?   I thought that was done years ago.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:28:16 pm »

LOL. Trump didn't hand them anything. Clinton handed them our missile tech and Bush handed them everything else years ago.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:01:23 pm »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:02:08 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 06:33:32 pm »
Help me understand what you mean there please.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/05/25/beijing-protests-us-navy-patrol-through-south-china-sea/102137362/

As the story says, he had ceased operations in the South China Sea until recently.  It looks like he learned that giving in wasn't getting us anything.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 06:45:12 pm »
As the story says, he had ceased operations in the South China Sea until recently.  It looks like he learned that giving in wasn't getting us anything.

When did the US cease operations in the South China Sea?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/politics/south-china-sea-us-mischief-reef/index.html

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:00 am »
When did the US cease operations in the South China Sea?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/politics/south-china-sea-us-mischief-reef/index.html
That was the first challenge he made. Please read the articles you are posting.
+++++++++

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 12:04:14 pm »
That was the first challenge he made. Please read the articles you are posting.

From that article:

...Capt. Davis had told CNN in early May that all future freedom of navigation operations would not be widely advertised as they had been under the Obama Administration. Instead, they would only be released publicly in an annual report....

...The incoming US administration initially took a more muscular approach toward the South China Sea, with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson comparing China's island building to Russia's taking of Crimea at his confirmation hearing. However, the White House later appeared to ease up on Beijing as it sought China's help in reining in North Korea.

But Storey said claims of victory on China's behalf were premature. "None of the central drivers have changed, which means that sooner or later tensions are going to ramp up again over some incident at sea or in the air," he said....