Author Topic: Vatican Won’t Succumb To Gluten Nazis, Communion Wafer Will Remain As Is  (Read 2376 times)

Offline RoosGirl

When Pope Benedict first took over, there was a meme picture showing him using beer and pretzels instead of wine and communion wafers

I have an equal dislike of beer, so that would not work for me.  Besides, sounds blasphemous.  ;P

Offline Suppressed

@Wingnut
Well you could stop talking and let people think you're an ass or you can keep talking and confirm it.
@driftdiver
@Wingnut

Nah, it's not affecting anything. Everyone already knows he is!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:44:27 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

...extremely rare, affecting only 1%...

Our definitions of "extremely rare" differ.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Gluten is not an ingredient added to bread, it is an integral component of the flour used to make bread.
I know that. My point is that the only description of the bread used in the Last Supper, upon which the Eucharist is based, is that it was unleavened because the dinner happened during the Passover. We assume it had gluten because bread could not be made without it at the time, but I'm not sure it was even known at the time and if the bread had been made with any sort of gluten-free grain, I don't think it would have been any less valid.

If a church parishioner has to choose between getting sick from a communion wafer and being denied communion all over an arbitrary insistence on what kind of grain is in the wafer, I don't think that fits in with what Christianity is all about.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline RoosGirl

Perhaps the real reason is that they don't want the liability of having to keep gluten-free separate from the regular wafers.

Silver Pines

Our church does have a no gluten wafer for the one little girl who truly is gluten intolerant.

That being said, I am amused by all the stuff that advertises it is gluten free, like soda pop, high sugar candy, jerky, , etc....

@Joe Wooten

Try hair products.  I've seen conditioners advertised as gluten-free.  I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Offline Joe Wooten

@Joe Wooten

Try hair products.  I've seen conditioners advertised as gluten-free.  I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Yeah, that's one of my "etc's"..... A local convenience store once had "Our gasoline is gluten free" on the portable sign along the street. Everyone had a good laugh about that one.

Offline Suppressed

Yeah, that's one of my "etc's"..... A local convenience store once had "Our gasoline is gluten free" on the portable sign along the street. Everyone had a good laugh about that one.

I think the laugh was meant.
+++++++++

Offline Joe Wooten

I think the laugh was meant.

Absolutely. The store owner/manager was always playing for laughs then. Now it has been bought out by one of the chains, and the employees don't have as muchfun.

Offline rodamala

The best I witnessed was "Carbon Free" Sugar.

Yeah, sugar... as in... you know... C12H22O11.