Author Topic: Ryan says he won't do public town halls citing concerns over possible protests  (Read 691 times)

Offline corbe

Ryan says he won't do public town halls citing concerns over possible protests

By Julia Manchester - 07/07/17 04:20 PM EDT

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said on Friday he will not hold public town halls due to concerns over potential protestors coming in from outside districts.

“Aside from the obvious security concerns, what we have found is there are people who are trying to come in from out of the district to disrupt town hall meetings and not have a civil discussion, so what I have been doing is looking for new and creative ways to interact with my constituents in a civil way,” Ryan said, speaking at a Boy Scouts event in Wisconsin.

“That’s why I have done a number of telephone town hall meetings, which I find very effective as people don’t have to travel. I do office hours. I just did them this morning in Janesville. In addition, I am doing a lot of business ones,” the Speaker said.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/341033-ryan-says-he-wont-do-public-town-halls-citing-concerns-over-possible-protests
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

Coward

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Smart move.  If the left is going to deliberately disrupt town halls to make a scene, then holding them simply plays into their hands.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Ryan the RINO can cower behind the walls around his mansion that he shares with his dimocrap wife.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Applewood

Smart move.  If the left is going to deliberately disrupt town halls to make a scene, then holding them simply plays into their hands.

I think what he might fear more, or should fear more, are the voters to whom he and the rest of the pubies promised to repeal and replace Obamacare.  I know if I was his constituent, I'd be raising holy hell.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A representative who hides from his own constituents?

What a vain and pompous ass if he thinks there is no solution other than to end meeting with them.

All he has to do is ensure all who enter the hall show their voter registration.

If they are in his district and they protest, that is their right to do so.

He deserves some of that anyway.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I think what he might fear more, or should fear more, are the voters to whom he and the rest of the pubies promised to repeal and replace Obamacare.  I know if I was his constituent, I'd be raising holy hell.

Remember the Tea Party Town Halls?

That is what this treasonous bunch of Republican cowards loathe and fear more than Leftists doing their usual schtick.  I think the GOP told us that we needed to be 'punched in the nose' for demanding they do what they promised at those town hall meetings.

I think the GOP will just wall itself away from their voters for their high castles just like all members of the politburo do.

Maybe they will all sun themselves on closed-to-the-public beaches to show their contempt for us little people.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
He's not hiding from his constituents.

He's hiding from the violent Democrat mobs. Democrats are looking for optics of outraged citizens who are standing up to murderous, dangerous Republicans.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

He's not hiding from his constituents.

He's hiding from the violent Democrat mobs. Democrats are looking for optics of outraged citizens who are standing up to murderous, dangerous Republicans.
he is hiding from his constituents.  He can restrict to only those on the voters roles in his district.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington