Author Topic: Conservatives revolt over talk of keeping ObamaCare tax  (Read 2910 times)

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
Conservatives revolt over talk of keeping ObamaCare tax
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:39:19 pm »
[snip] GOP lawmakers have floated keeping ObamaCare’s 3.8 percent net investment income tax to help pay for more generous healthcare subsidies for low-income people. Democrats criticized an earlier version of the Senate’s healthcare bill for eliminating the tax because it generally applies to high earners.

But prominent conservatives argue Democrats will criticize the bill regardless of what happens with the tax. They say the tax is harmful to economic growth and should be repealed.

"This tax, just like any tax increase, is an anathema to conservatives as it suppresses economic growth and opportunity throughout our nation," Club for Growth President David McIntosh said in a statement Wednesday. [/snip]

Naomi Jagoda
07/07/17 06:00 AM EDT
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/340912-conservatives-revolt-over-talk-of-keeping-obamacare-tax
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Conservatives revolt over talk of keeping ObamaCare tax
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 06:23:02 pm »
Get it through your heads folks, the Republican Party never had any intention of repealing ObamaCare at all - much less 'get rid of it "root and branch".

It's all kabuki theater.

The Republican Party WANTS ObamaCare to lead to Single Payer as much as if not moreso than the Democrats do.

Especially if they can frame Single Payer themselves and set the avenues of revenue into their pockets and coffers.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Re: Conservatives revolt over talk of keeping ObamaCare tax
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:09:17 am »
I've got several theories on the matter.

One is that Republican leaders want the situation to appear hopeless, then ride in like white knights to save the day.  "Whew, I thought it was an impossible task but we managed to somehow achieve the impossible."  Applause follows.

Another is the Tony Soprano theory.  Being a Washington lawmaker is a license to print money which largely ends up in your own pocket.  The Republicans plan to milk the system as long as they can before they are booted from office or Civil War breaks out.  Either is fine with them.

Neither theory is entirely mine, obviously, and if I had to place a bet I'd go with Theory #2.