Author Topic: Zakaria: The Democratic Party Has ‘Created Great Distance Between Itself’ and Much of Middle America  (Read 1276 times)

rangerrebew

Zakaria: The Democratic Party Has ‘Created Great Distance Between Itself’ and Much of Middle America
by Josh Feldman | 2:35 pm, July 2nd, 2017

CNN’s Fareed Zakaria said this morning that the Democratic party has to come to terms with the reasons they lost to Donald Trump.

It’s not just an economic message, he argued, there’s also serious social and cultural factors to consider (i.e. “fears of cultural displacement”).

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/zakaria-the-democratic-party-has-created-great-distance-between-itself-and-much-of-middle-america/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:46:14 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Zakaria doesn't understand his own party.  Most Democrats know there is a cultural divide -- they relish it.  And they believe there is no need for them to try to close that divide because the numbers favor them long-term anyway.

The last thing they want to do is moderate their beliefs so as to attract votes from people whose votes they don't think they'll need anyway.  They consider it a sign of virtue to attack/mock those on the other side of the culture war, and they're not giving up their sanctimony that easily.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:35:26 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Wingnut

I can't stand watching that smug, arrogant asshat Fareed. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Heh -- I've never watched one of his shows.  The promos alone are enough to keep me away.  And reading this articles just confirms that I'm likely not missing any great insights.

Offline skeeter

Zakaria doesn't understand his own party.  Most Democrats know there is a cultural divide -- they relish it.  And they believe there is no need for them to try to close that divide because the numbers favor them long-term anyway.

The last thing they want to do is moderate their beliefs so as to attract votes from people whose votes they don't think they'll need anyway.  They consider it a sign of virtue to attack/mock those on the other side of the culture war, and they're not giving up their sanctimony that easily.

The democrats believe demographics are destiny, but demographic trends can change.

Perhaps they've jumped the gun on certain demographic assumptions. They've taken a gamble, time will tell if they are correct.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

The democrats believe demographics are destiny, but demographic trends can change.

Perhaps they've jumped the gun on certain demographic assumptions. They've taken a gamble, time will tell if they are correct.

Agreed.  I'm just mocking Zakaria for thinking he came up with some great insight that there is a culture gap.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Imagine how shocked the Democrat leaders must be to discover not that many people want to assassinate President Trump, kill all white people, think little old Tea Party ladies are Nazis, consider military vets terrorists, or want to give billions in tax dollars to Muslim countries.

Offline Night Hides Not

Imagine how shocked the Democrat leaders must be to discover not that many people want to assassinate President Trump, kill all white people, think little old Tea Party ladies are Nazis, consider military vets terrorists, or want to give billions in tax dollars to Muslim countries.

The 'burb I live in is Ted Cruz country, even though whites are no longer in the majority. And you should have seen the melting pot of people at Lake Grapevine yesterday. Texas suburbs more than outvote the cities, and that's not going to change anytime soon.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline the_doc

Great post.  The DNC specifically believe that immigration, whether legal or illegal, will swell their numbers and flip Red States to Blue forever--as seems to be the case with California, which voted 2 to 1 for Hillary over Trump.  (Twenty-seven percent of California residents were not born in the U.S.)

The Dems are even expecting the flipping of Texas in the foreseeable future.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
He is correct, but like said above the Dems believe ythat political destiny is demographics and are playing the long game.

Which changes nothing. The Republicans are in charge of their own destiny. Healthcare, budget, voter, tax, regulation and immgration reform will undercut the Dems demographic hopes and deny their best laid plans.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

He is correct, but like said above the Dems believe ythat political destiny is demographics and are playing the long game.

Which changes nothing. The Republicans are in charge of their own destiny. Healthcare, budget, voter, tax, regulation and immgration reform will undercut the Dems demographic hopes and deny their best laid plans.

I certainly hope so.  But the energy in the Democratic party is on the left, and aggressive moral sanctimony is their stock in trade.  They simply will not support anyone who tries to bridge the cultural gap as Zakaria urges.  Rightly or wrongly, that's where they've dug in.

That at least gives us some hope that they may be overplaying that hand.  If we can succeed on some of the economic issues you identify, the Democrats may help us out by alienating swing voters.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
I certainly hope so.  But the energy in the Democratic party is on the left, and aggressive moral sanctimony is their stock in trade.  They simply will not support anyone who tries to bridge the cultural gap as Zakaria urges.  Rightly or wrongly, that's where they've dug in.

That at least gives us some hope that they may be overplaying that hand.  If we can succeed on some of the economic issues you identify, the Democrats may help us out by alienating swing voters.

They are overplaying their own hand. The GOP needs to use their Marxist agitation against them. We are winning at the state level, we can do it at the national level.

What's really stopping the GOP is the skittish milquetoast moderates.
The Republic is lost.

Offline the_doc

What's really stopping the GOP is the skittish milquetoast moderates.
I suspect that about half of our GOP Senators and Representatives are being blackmailed RE: sex, maybe even pedophilia. 

(Blackmail is one the Alinskyites' chief political weapons.  It would explain the craziness in our federal-level GOP.  Even Denny Hastert, while Speaker, was a child molester.  [Hmmm...Is the Speaker even more powerful and important to the Republic than Chief Justice Roberts?]  I was appalled when Hastert lost his nerve and inexplicably broke his public promise to investigate obvious voting fraud in the 2000 election, certainly including the Gore/Daley attempt to steal Florida's electoral votes.

By the way, do you remember what the Clintons did as soon as they got into the White House?  They got the confidential FBI dossiers on every Republican in Congress.  Even now, the Clinton Foundation is rumored to be behind the D.C. sex trafficking ring.)

Offline Hondo69

Let's see, Middle America.

There are many ways to define that term, here's one.  Middle America are those who believe in law and order.  Everyone else, not so much.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The Democrat Party hasn't created distance between itself and Middle America, it left the planet long ago.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
The Democrat Party hasn't created distance between itself and Middle America, it left the planet long ago.

They are pretty much the Archipelago Party right now. Urban islands of voters spread out all over the country, but mostly on the coasts.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hondo69

Some of us know what Rocky Mountain Oysters are and many of us have wrestled pretty damned hard to produce them.  We also know what type of chicken makes a chicken fried steak, the same type that makes cow patties that can also double as a pretty darned good frisbee in the summer time.  I could go on and on about the differences between those of us in Flyover Country and the Coasties, but you get the idea.

The problem is the Coasties are good at making rules for other people to follow and we just don't cotton to that much at all.