Author Topic: Kim Jong-un riles Trump on the Fourth: US President calls emergency meeting to formulate 'measured response' to North Korea's record-breaking missile test amid fears one could hit Alaska  (Read 3689 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Kim Jong-un riles Trump on the Fourth: US President calls emergency meeting to formulate 'measured response' to North Korea's record-breaking missile test amid fears one could hit Alaska

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson confirmed North Korea’s latest missile test was with an intercontinental ballistic missile
    The North revealed it had successfully built the intercontinental ballistic missile 
    The 'landmark' test of a Hwasong-14 missile was overseen by leader Kim Jong-Un
    It was fired from a site in the North Phyongan province into the Sea of Japan
    It is believed to have reached an altitude of 1741 miles and flew 580 miles
    The North has long sought to build nuclear missiles capable of reaching the US
    Weapons analysts say the missile has the capability to reach as far as Alaska
    The U.S. has requested a closed-door meeting of the United Nations Security Council to discuss the launch - it will likely take place Wednesday

By Kelly Mclaughlin and Emily Crane For Dailymail.com

Published: 14:09 EDT, 4 July 2017 | Updated: 19:08 EDT, 4 July 2017

President Donald Trump called an emergency meeting on the Fourth of July to formulate a 'measured response' to North Korea's first intercontinental ballistic missile test, amid fears it could reach as far as Alaska.

North Korea declared Tuesday that it had finally achieved its dream of building an intercontinental ballistic missile, saying it would 'fundamentally put an end to the US nuclear war threat and blackmail'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4665438/Trump-calls-emergency-meeting-North-Korea-missile.html#ixzz4luftTmQ9
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline DB

When Trump first took office he sounded like a man with a plan regarding NK. I'm not so sure anymore.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
DB wrote:
"When Trump first took office he sounded like a man with a plan regarding NK. I'm not so sure anymore."

Hmmmm....
What kind of a plan would you suggest?

I've got one, posted it here before, but folks didn't like it.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
DB wrote:
"When Trump first took office he sounded like a man with a plan regarding NK. I'm not so sure anymore."

Hmmmm....

You can tell me.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DB

DB wrote:

Hmmmm....

He made a lot of noise that NK wasn't going to be allowed to shoot off more missiles and build nukes. It sounded like the Pentagon had given him a plan of action to resolve it. All I'm saying is that theory is running a little thin now.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
He made a lot of noise that NK wasn't going to be allowed to shoot off more missiles and build nukes. It sounded like the Pentagon had given him a plan of action to resolve it. All I'm saying is that theory is running a little thin now.

We'll see what comes of the China-Russia talks over NK.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Offline Suppressed

When Trump first took office he sounded like a man with a plan regarding NK. I'm not so sure anymore.

He met with China and gave them all sorts of things, like trade concessions, unfettered access to interfere in the trade routes of the South China Sea, etc.  Remember that?

Didn't work out so well...China didn't stop the Norks.

But wait!  Getting schlonged was just a brilliant move on Trump's part...it's that 23rd-dimensional chess gambit where losing looks like winning (who cares about Alaska, anyway)!

The problem is, the world can see through the bluster, that he has no clothes...they aren't as gullible as the American voter.  He needs to scale back and start acting responsibly.  The world stage is no joke.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
What did Trump say about North Korea during the campaign? How about some exact citations, here is one: 

Many experts are skeptical that North Korea actually detonated a hydrogen bomb, citing the country's long history of misleading and false claims. But if it did, the incident would represent a significant escalation of the volatile country's nuclear arsenal.

Trump, the Republican presidential front-runner, argued on Fox News that China had the unique ability to curb North Korea's nuclear ambitions. China has long been a benefactor to North Korea and is its primary foreign ally, though the two countries have diverged over Pyongyang's development of nuclear weapons and disruptive regional policies.

"China has … total control over North Korea," Trump said. "And China should solve that problem. And if they don't solve the problem, we should make trade very difficult for China.

"We are holding China up," he added. "They're taking so much money. They're draining our country, and they're toying with us with North Korea. China should do it. They say they can't, they 'don't have that power.' They're toying with our politicians, who don't know what they're doing

-   http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-north-korea-china-nuclear-2016-1

Yes, let's blame Trump on some madman who is threatening multiple countries with nuclear weapons, probably because some past presidents dropped the ball on this, notably Clinton but there may be others.

Offline Suppressed

"China has … total control over North Korea," Trump said. "And China should solve that problem."

And what did Trump do?  Gave lots of things to China.

And what did China do?  Not solve the problem.

So where's all the great deal-making?  We got snookered.

Where's all the winning?  We now have a nuclear-capable nation run by a madman, with ICBMs.

Brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag...

And then when it comes down to it, failure.

Yes, let's blame Trump on some madman who is threatening multiple countries with nuclear weapons, probably because some past presidents dropped the ball on this, notably Clinton but there may be others.

He told us he had the answers.  Of course, some of us knew he was full of it, but some good people fell for it.

And now we have ICBMs in DPRK.

With important posts in the region still waiting to be filled.

Meanwhile, he was attacking CNN.

So yes, I'll blame him for not following through on his promises.  Let's see what he does next.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rivergirl

Un should love thedonald.  He expressed admiration for him because he was killing his own relatives.

Offline Night Hides Not

Where's all the winning?  We now have a nuclear-capable nation run by a madman, with ICBMs.

Brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag, brag...

He told us he had the answers.  Of course, some of us knew he was full of it, but some good people fell for it.

So yes, I'll blame him for not following through on his promises.  Let's see what he does next.

Trump owned it on 1/20/2017, nearly six months ago. I hope he's got more than a couple of nasty tweets up his sleeve.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Suppressed
They've been working on the nukes for about 24+ years.  President Clinton enabled them and sold China the technology.    President Bush applied sanctions which had some marginal impact, mostly to show the world they'd let their people starve before stopping their quest for nukes.  Obama was back to enabling them and appeasement. 

Just how much do you expect Trump do in 5 months with the crap sandwich left for him?     How much could anyone do in that time short of launching airstrikes and possibly starting WWIII with China?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Rivergirl

NK is not aiming missiles at China.  DT demanding they make it stop is ludicrous.   DT can stamp his foot and make empty threats from now to eternity.........or infinity and beyond.

Offline driftdiver

NK is not aiming missiles at China.  DT demanding they make it stop is ludicrous.   DT can stamp his foot and make empty threats from now to eternity.........or infinity and beyond.

@Rivergirl
Spoken like a truly ignorant person.

China is NKs main business partner and has been enabling NK since the Korean war.  NK gets much of its coal and other materials (e.g. weapons) from China.  Without China NK is physically and economically isolated.  The Chinese have leverage on NK that no other country has.    Because of that leverage they can negotiate deals with NK that no other country can. 

China has an interest in maintaining NK because it gives them a buffer.  If NK and SK were to reunify then China would have a very difficult to control border with a democratic powerhouse.  So yeah China could help calm the situation but they most likely won't. 

Offline skeeter

@Suppressed
They've been working on the nukes for about 24+ years.  President Clinton enabled them and sold China the technology.    President Bush applied sanctions which had some marginal impact, mostly to show the world they'd let their people starve before stopping their quest for nukes.  Obama was back to enabling them and appeasement. 

Just how much do you expect Trump do in 5 months with the crap sandwich left for him?     How much could anyone do in that time short of launching airstrikes and possibly starting WWIII with China?

Don't bother them. They're on a roll.

Wingnut

Offline thackney

@Rivergirl
Spoken like a truly ignorant person.

China is NKs main business partner and has been enabling NK since the Korean war.  NK gets much of its coal and other materials (e.g. weapons) from China.  Without China NK is physically and economically isolated.  The Chinese have leverage on NK that no other country has.    Because of that leverage they can negotiate deals with NK that no other country can. 

China has an interest in maintaining NK because it gives them a buffer.  If NK and SK were to reunify then China would have a very difficult to control border with a democratic powerhouse.  So yeah China could help calm the situation but they most likely won't.

China is a net coal importer.  They import coal from North Korea, not export to it.

Almost all of North Korea’s exports go to China, and coal makes up 40 percent of the total.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-says-it-hasnt-imported-any-coal-from-north-korea-for-two-months/2017/05/23/f0868540-3a45-11e7-a59b-26e0451a96fd_story.html?utm_term=.6cfaf3fa6add
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

Don't bother them. They're on a roll.

Foxnews had an analyst on this morning who appeared to be very well informed on this subject.  I cannot find the video but he indicated there are no really good options here.   The main reason the younger brother was chosen to take over was his willingness to continue towards nukes.   The older brother (the one just assassinated in an airport) wanted to back away from nukes and normalize relations with South Korea.   

If true, this probably means the rush to nukes is not just one crazy dictators ambition, but the ambition of all of those who have political power there.   They may very well see the end to their game coming and wish to take out as many others as they can.  Those people I know in South Korea have pretty much accepted that things will blowup sooner or later.    South Korea still view the people in North Korea as family and would be unlikely to initiate any military action.

Offline driftdiver

Offline thackney

@thackney
Can always trust you to quibble over minutia.

If you are trying to show dependency, it helps to know which direction the product moves.

Offline driftdiver

If you are trying to show dependency, it helps to know which direction the product moves.

OK you're right,  North Korea is not a business partner to China,  Right?   Nope they get all their money off a freakin money tree.   You should see the tree their weapons grow on, now thats impressive.

Many days I really wonder why the hell I spend time posting here.   Its one great big anti-trump (and America) circle jerk.

Offline thackney

OK you're right,  North Korea is not a business partner to China,  Right?   Nope they get all their money off a freakin money tree.   You should see the tree their weapons grow on, now thats impressive.

Many days I really wonder why the hell I spend time posting here.   Its one great big anti-trump (and America) circle jerk.

The North Korea to China coal exports and the suspension of that trade is in response to a UN sanction.

https://www.eia.gov/beta/international/analysis.cfm?iso=PRK

North Korea exported nearly 25 million short tons of coal in 2016, a 15% increase from 2015 levels. The UN tightened sanctions on North Korea in late 2016 and imposed a cap on coal exports from North Korea not to exceed 7.5 million tons (8.3 million short tons) or $400 million in 2017, whichever is reached first. China decided to suspend all coal imports from North Korea beginning in February 2017 through the remainder of the year in an effort to comply with these sanctions.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:57:07 pm by thackney »

Offline skeeter

Foxnews had an analyst on this morning who appeared to be very well informed on this subject.  I cannot find the video but he indicated there are no really good options here.   The main reason the younger brother was chosen to take over was his willingness to continue towards nukes.   The older brother (the one just assassinated in an airport) wanted to back away from nukes and normalize relations with South Korea.   

If true, this probably means the rush to nukes is not just one crazy dictators ambition, but the ambition of all of those who have political power there.   They may very well see the end to their game coming and wish to take out as many others as they can.  Those people I know in South Korea have pretty much accepted that things will blowup sooner or later.    South Korea still view the people in North Korea as family and would be unlikely to initiate any military action.

Jonestown on an international scale. It's happened before and to countries with far more to lose than North Korea.

As long as China's immediate interests are at stake our options are seriously limited but at some point self preservation will override concern for China's reaction. They should recognize this and do something about it before we are forced to.