Author Topic: Editorial: The New Yorker doesn't understand Texas  (Read 1614 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Editorial: The New Yorker doesn't understand Texas
« on: July 04, 2017, 07:51:14 pm »
We generally just assume that The New Yorker is going to get Texas wrong - there are some fundamental worldview differences that take a lot of work to overcome. But the magazine’s most recent issue has an astonishing level of cherry-picking of facts and events to fit a particular narrative. It’s both misleading and disturbing.

In an essay titled “America’s Future is Texas,” reporter Lawrence Wright says everything that’s wrong in America is summed up in Texas. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/07/10/americas-future-is-texas

“Texas is as politically divided as the rest of the U.S., but a recurrent crop of crackpots and ideologues has fed its reputation for proud know-nothingism and retrograde thinking,” he writes.

There’s so much in that single sentence to unpack, but let’s give it a go. Is Texas politically divided? Sure - as is the rest of the nation, as Wright notes. But it’s hard to say that Texas is more divided, when we haven’t seen the riots and political violence experienced elsewhere (Washington D.C. during the inauguration itself; in Berkley and Anaheim, California; in Olympia, Washington and Portland, Oregon; and in Virginia when a leftist gunman opened fire on Republican members of Congress).

Crackpots? Surely there are enough crackpots of both sides that we should agree to trundle them aside and at least try to speak like adults.

And as for “know-nothings,” that’s simply a misreading of history. The Know-Nothings were a pre-Civil War political movement that was, indeed, nativist, but more complex than that. As historian Stephen Taylor noted, “the party also distinguished itself by its opposition to slavery, support for an expansion of the rights of women, regulation of industry, and support of measures designed to improve the status of working people.”

So that’s a compliment, yes?

As for retrograde thinking, that’s a hard case to make of the state that’s home to NASA, and to the tech hub in Austin, which now outpaces Silicon Valley for startups, according to CNBC.
http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-Opinion/291116/editorial-the-new-yorker-doesnt-understand-texas
NY elitist envy is pretty evident when one reads articles like the New Yorker hit piece.

Texas is on the way up while NY continues its inevitable decline downwards, and looks for a culprit to blame rather than itself.

As a comparison, the number of Fortune 1000 companies in New York declined from 98 to 95 between 2000 and 2016 while for the same period they increased from 80 to 100 in Texas.

That change is not due to the thinking prevalent in the New Yorker.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Editorial: The New Yorker doesn't understand Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 08:12:28 pm »
To say that the writer doesn't understand Texas is to say that...well, I can't think of anything that diametrically opposed right off.  I'll have to think on it a bit.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:48:42 pm »
Typical elitist attitude of someone who's probably very rarely left the 5 boroughs.

Oh and Mr Wright...our crackpots are in Austin and Houston...and they are very much your brand of hard left Liberal...and sadly one of them keeps getting sent to Congress...Shiela Jackson Lee.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:13:47 pm »
Typical elitist attitude of someone who's probably very rarely left the 5 boroughs.

Oh and Mr Wright...our crackpots are in Austin and Houston...and they are very much your brand of hard left Liberal...and sadly one of them keeps getting sent to Congress...Shiela Jackson Lee.

"Wright lives in Austin, Texas, where he lives with his family and plays the keyboard for the Austin-based blues band WhoDo."

http://www.newyorker.com/contributors/lawrence-wright

"Wright graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in Dallas, Texas, in 1965..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Wright
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:16:40 pm by endicom »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 09:15:15 pm »

Nex' t'ing ya know, Noo Yawkahs are gonna claim Texans tawk fuhnee.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:31:33 pm »
"Wright lives in Austin, Texas, where he lives with his family and plays the keyboard for the Austin-based blues band WhoDo."

http://www.newyorker.com/contributors/lawrence-wright

"Wright graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in Dallas, Texas, in 1965..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Wright

I stand corrected...however...that makes his totally wrong portrayal of Texas that much more ignorant.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline rodamala

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 09:57:27 pm »

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 10:07:39 pm »
Ah, The New Yorker. The paragon of redoubtable journalism and prestige culture for any good upper-crust liberal intellectual who turns down their nose at those living west of the hudson river.

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:36:56 pm »
Ah, The New Yorker. The paragon of redoubtable journalism and prestige culture for any good upper-crust liberal intellectual who turns down their nose at those living west of the hudson river.

Or east of the East River.

But that's of a mentality and not a locale. The writers have been from all over, the publication in New York for NYC having been the publishing capitol.

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 11:31:44 pm »
I stand corrected...however...that makes his totally wrong portrayal of Texas that much more ignorant.

Well ya can't blame the guy...he lives in Austin and is a musician. AND went to Woodrow in the '60s.

Don't get me wrong...I love musicians and what they play. And I used to adore Austin back in the day, when I was still a little bit on the goofy side. Woodrow was kind of liberal in it's attitude in the 60's due to population composition.

So the biggest fault I see with the guy is that he is spouting off in New York (NEW YORK CITY...get a rope! :laugh:) He is a typical Austin goofball.

'

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 12:39:35 am »
He did OK with the title of the article, should have left it at that.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 01:33:55 am »
Well ya can't blame the guy...he lives in Austin and is a musician. AND went to Woodrow in the '60s.

Don't get me wrong...I love musicians and what they play. And I used to adore Austin back in the day, when I was still a little bit on the goofy side. Woodrow was kind of liberal in it's attitude in the 60's due to population composition.

So the biggest fault I see with the guy is that he is spouting off in New York (NEW YORK CITY...get a rope! :laugh:) He is a typical Austin goofball.

'

@berdie, as in Woodrow High School?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 01:48:43 am »

Give him credit where it's due.  He knows exactly what it takes to get ink in that rag.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 02:05:59 am »
I don't have the gumption to look it up...but is it Woodrow Wilson HS...or Aunt Esther's husband, Woodrow "Woody" Anderson?

Offline berdie

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 02:25:37 am »
@berdie, as in Woodrow High School?

At the high school...not the president is what I meant @Sanguine . :laugh:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 02:31:05 am »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 02:37:57 am »
Every minority-majority state goes blue; Texas is no Oklahoma with every county being red. It's probably in the best interests that conservatives go to Texas as they have been encouraged. Even those voting lawsuits have been about how voting districts were gerrymandered. Thank goodness, people voted for a President that will do as much to get the country back on the right track and maybe open up other areas of the country to Republicans.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 02:39:09 am »
NY elitist envy is pretty evident when one reads articles like the New Yorker hit piece.

I personally don't really give a sh__ what New Yorkers think of us.  Just prefer they stay away.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 01:23:01 pm »
My  older brother moved down to Texas from Wisconsin forty years ago and ended up marrying a Texas girl whose father worked in the oil business. They had one child, a boy who is super smart to the point where my brother wondered one time where he got his brains  because he, the boy, didn't get them from his pappy.  I looked at my brother and said "here's where I'm supposed to disagree?"  He laughed.