Author Topic: Appeals Court Says Trump EPA Can't Suspend Obama Emissions Rules  (Read 1924 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency cannot freeze implementing a rule requiring oil and gas companies to fix methane leaks in their equipment, a federal appeals court ruled on Monday in a setback for President Donald Trump's push to cut environmental regulations.
The EPA on June 5 announced a stay in the rule, which would have required drillers and transporters to start reporting and fixing any methane leaks they found in wells and transfer stations, after EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt wrote in an April 18 letter the agency intended to reconsider imposing it. But the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit said the agency did not have the authority to halt the rule during those deliberations.

The EPA's stay "is essentially an order delaying the rule's effective date, and this court has held that such orders are tantamount to amending or revoking a rule," Judges David Tatel and Robert Wilkins wrote. The third member of the three-judge panel, Judge Janice Rogers Brown, dissented.

"We are reviewing the opinion and examining our options," an EPA spokeswoman said in a statement to Reuters.

The court's ruling came in response to a lawsuit filed June 5 by green groups that opposed the EPA's stay of the rule. The groups, including the Natural Resources Defense Council, Environmental Defense Fund, Sierra Club and other environmental organizations, argued the EPA did not follow procedures detailed in the 1970 law known as the Clean Air Act when it froze the rule.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/appeals-courts-rejects-trump/2017/07/03/id/799624/
I see no way this can hold up as a legal opinion being constitutional.  The two judges who ruled should be impeached.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

Re: Appeals Court Says Trump EPA Can't Suspend Obama Emissions Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 12:24:57 am »
Yet it was perfectly OK for President Obama to suspend the enforcement of immigration laws.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 12:29:21 am »
In this particular case, I am all for Trump asking the Appeals Court how many Divisions it has under it's control to stop him from suspending Obama's economy-killing edicts via the Alphabets.

And then suspend them, permanently via Executive Order.

After all, the EPA is a cabinet Agency and Trump is the Chief Executive of that branch.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 12:36:24 am »
I see no way this can hold up as a legal opinion being constitutional.  The two judges who ruled should be impeached.

Absolutely!  They are coloring WAY outside the lines!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 12:49:52 am »
FWIW:  Judge Tatel was appointed by Clinton and Wilkins was appointed by Obama.

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 01:55:31 am »
FWIW:  Judge Tatel was appointed by Clinton and Wilkins was appointed by Obama.

Yes, and the dissenting judge, Janice Rogers Brown was a Bush 43 appointee.

This is the way it's going to go folks.   Media assault and frivolous litigation before shopped Judges in Obama/Clinton polluted Circuits is the about the only thing the Left has going right now to slow down the Executive (and Legislative if the GOP Congress starts actually ... PASSING ... bills) agenda.

It's just a place marker in terms of actually stopping stuff given the Gorsuch confirmation and Kennedy's imminent retirement for a more conservative Jurist.  I saw the same thing happen in Wisconsin after Scott Walker and GOP legislators won political control in 2010-14 where every ... EVERY ... Walker or legislative initiative was contested with lawsuits before Lefty judges in Dane County - who like the partisan zombies they are - immediately slapped injunctions to stop the measures. 

They did that hoping to win a couple key WI Supreme Court elections and allow time for a recall election.  They waged a recall election against Walker and several GOP Senators (in an 18-16 GOP majority)  They waged a bogus "John Doe" investigation by scumbags in the Milwaukee County Attorney's office and the partisan Government Accountability Board (aided by Lois Lerner) to chill Walker supporters and donors for Walker's 2014 election.

Does this sound familiar?

Well, Conservatives WON the Supreme Court races and Walker and key Senators survived the recall elections and all the corrupt injunctions of the robed douchebags in Dane County were reversed and Wisconsin found a way to not only re-elect Walker in 2014, build on it's GOP Legislative majorities in 2016, and for the first time in 32 years a Republican won the state's electoral votes for President

This is Deja Vu.  All over again.  All these frightened and faux-outraged Legislators need to stay the course, pass the legislation they ran on, support the President and look forward to expanding their majorities in 2018 and re-elect this President. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:19:51 am by ArneFufkin »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 02:04:00 am »
GOP controls everything now, except the courts.

Just kill the EPA.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 02:04:14 am »
"The groups ... argued the EPA did not follow procedures detailed in the 1970 law known as the Clean Air Act when it froze the rule."

My first reaction was, if Trump suspended
a rule made by the EPA, not an act of Congress,
he has full authority to do so.

But if the Clean Air Act spells out how rules are made and suspended,
and Trump did not follow that procedure,
then the greenies might have a valid case,
based on a legal technicality.

I'm not going to go that far into the weeds
to search out such arcane legal and regulational details.
That's what White House Counsel is for.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 02:22:41 am »
Who was the epa lawyer and who hired em.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 03:44:30 am »
Well, Trump does have a picture of Andrew Jackson in the Oval Office.  Perhaps it's time for the Executive to take the same attitude toward the courts that Jackson did.  When the Democrats cry "foul", Trump can point out he is following in the footsteps of their party's founder.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 04:09:08 am »
@Oceander

Translation? I can usually follow the logic of the ruling, but this isn't very clear. Does someone need to formally end the rules to not enforce them, and who would that be?

The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 05:14:21 am »
@Oceander

Translation? I can usually follow the logic of the ruling, but this isn't very clear. Does someone need to formally end the rules to not enforce them, and who would that be?
Congress had the opportunity to eliminate the rule and failed.

Then the EPA tried to stay the implementation of the rule, but ecowhackos took that to court as not following the procedure in the Clean Air Act of 1970. The ruling is supposedly on a procedural issue, negating  the stay of the rule.

McCain, Collins, and Graham voted with the Democrats to keep the rule, which kicked it back to the EPA. Other rules were scuttled by Congressional vote, but not this one, which goes beyond leaks in production equipment. Methane is commonly released while drilling an oil well, in quantities too low to recover or burn.

IIRC, the alternative to Congress ending the rule is for the EPA to rescind it, which requires waiting periods, comment periods, and a new study to show why it should be eliminated, unless Trump can EO either a delay or order it out of existence.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 07:23:38 am »
@Oceander

My guess is procedure was not followed in dumping the rule and when it is dumped via going through the "proper" process it will be done - but who knows.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 02:16:10 pm »
IIRC, the alternative to Congress ending the rule is for the EPA to rescind it, which requires waiting periods, comment periods, and a new study to show why it should be eliminated, unless Trump can EO either a delay or order it out of existence.

That's what I thought it might be about, but reporters can't write for jack anymore.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 02:57:24 pm »
When Obama was busy packing the Federal Courts it never made much in the way of headlines.

Funny, it is now.  Just imagine if the media were in the tank for Conservatives instead of Liberals we'd have heard of it 24/7 for years and years.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 03:03:08 pm »
GOP controls everything now, except the courts.

Just kill the EPA.
Unfortunately the courts are the defacto rulers of this nation, and the republicans do not have to spine to take any action.
God is still in control

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 05:47:00 pm »
But the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit said the agency did not have the authority to halt the rule during those deliberations.

Amazing how silent they were while the EPA was bypassing Congress and writing laws without the ability to legally do so.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 06:10:22 pm »
Amazing how silent they were while the EPA was bypassing Congress and writing laws without the ability to legally do so.

About as silent as the so-called "opponents" of those rules, who didn't follow the avenues that were available to fight them.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 06:11:00 pm »
My guess is procedure was not followed in dumping the rule and when it is dumped via going through the "proper" process it will be done - but who knows.

Exactly.

Some so-called "conservatives" scream "Rule of Law" all day, until they are actually expected to follow it.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 06:36:17 pm »
Exactly.

Some so-called "conservatives" scream "Rule of Law" all day, until they are actually expected to follow it.
McCain, Graham, and Collins voted with the Democrats to not get rid of this rule. They could have voted with the Republicans and that would have been that. Instead they scrooed the pooch and now the EPA has to deal with the global warming puppies (because it is the warmists who pushed for this rule anyway).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 02:32:34 am »
McCain, Graham, and Collins voted with the Democrats to not get rid of this rule. They could have voted with the Republicans and that would have been that. Instead they scrooed the pooch and now the EPA has to deal with the global warming puppies (because it is the warmists who pushed for this rule anyway).

Yes, the voters have not sent enough conservative senators to represent them, if this is what The People want. 

Or we can look at it another way, and admit that The People have sent these senators to DC to represent them, and conservatives aren't doing enough to convince The People that they should send more conservative representation to DC.
+++++++++

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 02:58:48 am »
Yes, the voters have not sent enough conservative senators to represent them, if this is what The People want. 

Or we can look at it another way, and admit that The People have sent these senators to DC to represent them, and conservatives aren't doing enough to convince The People that they should send more conservative representation to DC.
Or, people are confused about what makes a person a conservative. It is more than wearing an 'R' after your name.

Or people really want Liberal representation but can't handle the stigma of electing a Democrat.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 03:17:48 am »
Or, people are confused about what makes a person a conservative. It is more than wearing an 'R' after your name.

Or people really want Liberal representation but can't handle the stigma of electing a Democrat.

You speak wisely.
+++++++++

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 08:18:29 pm »

Did the EPA issue this rule without being given authority by law,
or did Congress pass a law that gives the EPA broad authority to issue any rule they wish?

The effect of that is Congress is giving away THEIR authority to legislate
to the Executive Branch.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 08:38:53 pm »
Did the EPA issue this rule without being given authority by law,
or did Congress pass a law that gives the EPA broad authority to issue any rule they wish?

The effect of that is Congress is giving away THEIR authority to legislate
to the Executive Branch.

Obama spent 8 years bypassing Congress and their authority to make new laws by having the EPA and the rest of the executive branch bureaucracy write "regulations" in such a manner that they were enforceable as if they were a law passed by Congress.

And all Congress did was smile and nod.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!