Author Topic: Matt Walsh: Courts in Europe have sentenced a baby to death. This is socialized medicine.  (Read 982 times)

Silver Pines

Matt Walsh: Courts in Europe have sentenced a baby to death. This is socialized medicine.

By Matt Walsh
June 28, 2017

There’s a horrific case over in the U.K. that hasn’t gotten a ton of attention here, but it should. If we look closely, we may see our future — and our present.

Charlie Gard is a 10-month-old baby who suffers from a rare genetic disorder called mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome. It’s a horrendous condition that leads to organ malfunction, brain damage, and other symptoms. The hospital that had been treating the boy, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London, made the determination that nothing more can be done for him and he must be taken off of life support. He should “die with dignity,” they said. The parents, Chris Gard and Connie Yates, disagreed.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/matt-walsh-courts-in-europe-have-sentenced-a-baby-to-death-this-is-socialized-medicine/

Silver Pines

"Here’s where things get truly insane and barbaric. The hospital refused to give Charlie back to his parents."

Mods, I wasn't sure whether this one should go in World News, Health, or Editorial.  Considering the seriousness of the issue, I put it here, but feel free to move it elsewhere.

Offline RoosGirl

The hospital refused to give Charlie back to his parents. The matter ended up in the courts, and, finally, in the last several hours, the European Court of “Human Rights” ruled that the parents should be barred from taking their son to the United States for treatment. According to the “human rights” court, it is Charlie’s human right that he expire in his hospital bed in London. The parents are not allowed to try and save his life. It is “in his best interest” to simply die, they ruled.

This is the evil we need to be praying against daily.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Why doesn't the doctor do the treatment at Great Ormond Street? They have visiting doctors doing treatments all the time.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

When the patient or parental wishes are overruled, it's a sign that The State truly does own us.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Terrible disease, so sad.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline skeeter

I just made a rather unpleasant visit to my local IRS office. Surly employees, long wait, unsatisfactory result. All the time I was thinking this is what socialized medicine will look like.

This story tragically illustrates it.

Offline Polly Ticks

This is truly sickening.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Silver Pines

It's breathtaking.  Imagine how these parents felt when this "court" told them they didn't have the right to take their own child elsewhere for medical treatment.

Offline mountaineer

The Vatican’s Statement On UK Baby Condemned To Die Is Frightening
If this is where the Vatican now makes its stand, then the most vulnerable members of society—which is to say all of us, at some point—are in trouble.
By Daniel Payne   
June 30, 2017
The ugliest political battle currently underway in Western society is not between Donald Trump and Mika Brzezinski or the United Kingdom and the European Union but between two parents with a dying baby and the British courts. The baby, Charlie Gard, has been terminally ill since his birth, unable to move his limbs or breathe on his own.

His parents wish to bring him to the United States for a long-shot experimental treatment. The courts object, believing Charlie should be allowed to die “with dignity.” The European Court of Human Rights declined to hear an appeal, effectively sealing the boy’s fate.

Against the backdrop of this barbaric abuse of judicial authority, the Catholic Church—the world’s greatest defender of the right to life, and long a moral bulwark against state intrusion into the rights of the family sphere—has decided that the courts in this case are basically right.

These are difficult times for orthodox Catholics, beset by a pope who often appears inclined to dismiss centuries of church teaching and a fair number of bishops who are apparently determined to follow him.   ...

The Vatican’s Pontifical Academy for Life yesterday released a statement that waffles between limp-wristed equivocations and outright willful ignorance of church teaching. If this is where the Vatican now makes its stand, then the most vulnerable members of society—which is to say all of us, at some point—are in trouble. ...
Rest of article at The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org