Author Topic: President Trump has signed 40 bills into law. Here's what they do  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The success or failure of President Donald Trump's legislative agenda has become the subject of much debate in recent weeks.  His major policy initiatives -- repealing Obamacare, passing tax reform, an infrastructure plan and more -- have all been stalled on Capitol Hill, either because of Republican disputes or Democratic obstruction or both. Lawmakers skipped town for a July 4 recess Thursday without passing an Iran sanctions bill even though it has support in both houses of Congress.  None of that inaction stopped his spokeswoman, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, from encouraging reporters to Thursday to pay less attention to his tweets and more attention to his policies.

Trump has increasingly held up the pieces of legislature he has signed as a barometer for his success. He has taken to Twitter on numerous occasions to tout the quantity of bills signed into law and his role in their passage, most recently writing "I've helped pass and signed 38 Legislative Bills, mostly with no Democratic support, and gotten rid of massive amounts of regulations...

Read more at: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/29/politics/president-trump-legislation/index.html
The Republic is lost.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: President Trump has signed 40 bills into law. Here's what they do
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:00:36 am »
The success or failure of President Donald Trump's legislative agenda has become the subject of much debate in recent weeks.  His major policy initiatives -- repealing Obamacare, passing tax reform, an infrastructure plan and more -- have all been stalled on Capitol Hill, either because of Republican disputes or Democratic obstruction or both. Lawmakers skipped town for a July 4 recess Thursday without passing an Iran sanctions bill even though it has support in both houses of Congress.  None of that inaction stopped his spokeswoman, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, from encouraging reporters to Thursday to pay less attention to his tweets and more attention to his policies.

Trump has increasingly held up the pieces of legislature he has signed as a barometer for his success. He has taken to Twitter on numerous occasions to tout the quantity of bills signed into law and his role in their passage, most recently writing "I've helped pass and signed 38 Legislative Bills, mostly with no Democratic support, and gotten rid of massive amounts of regulations...

Read more at: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/29/politics/president-trump-legislation/index.html

A lot of the inability to get Trump's agenda passed is because the Senate won't help him.  This is childish because even if they dislike him, these bills are about the country not him.

As an aside, I may have to back off from defending Trump about his tweets.  His last one about Scarborough's wife was unacceptable.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:05:29 am »
The trouble with this president is that he will accomplish something beneficial -- putting Justice Gorsuch on SCOTUS, extricating the US from the odious Paris climate change accord, and so on, but then he turns around and does something that makes me wonder about his mental stability.  Negative tweets about 2 talking heads on MSNBC, a network he claims to not watch and not care about,  is so pointless and only serves to demonstrate a possible mental imbalance.  Trump seems to have this compulsion to do or say or tweet something outrageous on a daily basis just so he can constantly be on everyone's  minds.  He has to be the center of attention, and in that respect, no publicity is ever bad.  Look at how much time and energy we all spend just on this site alone commenting on something has said or done. 

If Trump has this agenda that is favorable to all of us, he should be spending his time working toward implementing that agenda, not wasting time saying, doing or tweeting something outrageous.  I don't buy the notion that his agenda is being stalled in congress.  As president, he should be able to get things done.  He should be able to schmooze or twist arms. That's what he should be doing, not trying to be the constant center of attention.  He was hired to serve the people, not to seek glory for himself. 

Contrary to what the Trump supporters say, I don't wish for Trump to fail. I would love to be proven wrong about him, and I have praised him and will continue to praise him when he does right. But it's maddening to know that when Trump does well, it is only a matter of time when he will revert to that little schoolyard bully personna.  He just can't resist sabotaging his own presidency. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 03:47:49 am »
A lot of the inability to get Trump's agenda passed is because the Senate won't help him.  This is childish because even if they dislike him, these bills are about the country not him.

Maybe if he were more of a statesman and knew how to accomplish things without getting in his own way, it might be a different story.  Reagan accomplished even with a Democrat Congress.

As an aside, I may have to back off from defending Trump about his tweets.  His last one about Scarborough's wife was unacceptable.

I find that admirable.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 03:49:36 am »
The trouble with this president is that he will accomplish something beneficial -- putting Justice Gorsuch on SCOTUS, extricating the US from the odious Paris climate change accord, and so on, but then he turns around and does something that makes me wonder about his mental stability.  Negative tweets about 2 talking heads on MSNBC, a network he claims to not watch and not care about,  is so pointless and only serves to demonstrate a possible mental imbalance.  Trump seems to have this compulsion to do or say or tweet something outrageous on a daily basis just so he can constantly be on everyone's  minds.  He has to be the center of attention, and in that respect, no publicity is ever bad.  Look at how much time and energy we all spend just on this site alone commenting on something has said or done. 

If Trump has this agenda that is favorable to all of us, he should be spending his time working toward implementing that agenda, not wasting time saying, doing or tweeting something outrageous.  I don't buy the notion that his agenda is being stalled in congress.  As president, he should be able to get things done.  He should be able to schmooze or twist arms. That's what he should be doing, not trying to be the constant center of attention.  He was hired to serve the people, not to seek glory for himself. 

Contrary to what the Trump supporters say, I don't wish for Trump to fail. I would love to be proven wrong about him, and I have praised him and will continue to praise him when he does right. But it's maddening to know that when Trump does well, it is only a matter of time when he will revert to that little schoolyard bully personna.  He just can't resist sabotaging his own presidency.

His agenda are secondary to the attention-gathering, @Applewood.  That pathological need for attention is his foundation.  The positives from Trump are accidental bonuses.

Like you, I wish it weren't that way.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:50:28 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 04:23:45 am »

Your right it is about the country.  The Senate is absolutely right to reject Obama Care with same old high or higher premiums.  They are right not to help shove O care down our throats.

All they are doing is holding him to his promises to the American people who voted for him.  Repeal Obama Care.  Reduce health insurance premiums.  Provide an open market across state lines.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 04:28:35 am »
Maybe if he were more of a statesman and knew how to accomplish things without getting in his own way, it might be a different story.  Reagan accomplished even with a Democrat Congress.

I find that admirable.

Reagan didn't have a congress taking 218 days off a year and spend the few hours they do their job posturing for the next election.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 05:10:44 am »

I think that it is obvious that Trump has mental problems.  I think that his entire presidency will be one scandal after another.  Won't be time to get things done.  It will be damage control 24/7

Children act like Trump does when they are insecure.  They have to criticize other people to make themselves feel important.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 06:41:23 am »
Reagan didn't have a congress taking 218 days off a year and spend the few hours they do their job posturing for the next election.
That is a great point.  The rat House under Reagan was working overtime to thwart him from the beginning.  Fortunately Trump has a GOP House and Senate, and nobody is better at doing nuthin' than the Republicans.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 10:16:31 pm »

For at least the last few decades, and probably longer,
a large share of Congress is not at all interested in serving America.
They are completely owned by corrupt, left wing financiers.
They consistently vote for the financiers' interests, against us.

And when they get voted out of office,
they become lobbyists, starting at three times the salary!
(Kudos to the new Congressman from Montana,
who's submitting a bill to make that illegal.)

I'm not giving Mika Brzezinkski (Zbigniew Brzezinksi's daughter) a pass.
She's been slinging mud at Trump for several months, now.

Remember, it was she who said several weeks ago that Trump's tweets
are enabling him to "control what the people think, and that's OUR job!"

So, no, I'm not giving a pass to a professional propagandist
who is a couple of decades into adulthood, and who was born into power!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao