Author Topic: Trump tells Senate Republicans to kill Obamacare now and replace it later  (Read 2734 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

U.S. President Donald Trump urged Republican U.S. senators on Friday to repeal Obamacare immediately if they cannot agree on a new health care plan to take its place.
Republican leaders have set Friday as the goal for working out changes to Senate legislation that would repeal extensive parts of the 2010 Affordable Care Act, the law dubbed Obamacare that expanded health insurance coverage to 20 million people.
Their efforts were complicated on Thursday by a Congressional Budget Office report that said the Senate proposal would cut spending on government Medicaid for the poor by 35 percent come 2036.

"If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now, they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!" Trump wrote in an early morning Twitter post.
U.S. Senator Ben Sasse, a Republican who has often clashed with Trump, welcomed the suggestion. Sasse said this week he was not satisfied with the Senate healthcare legislation.
"Sounds great, Pres. @realDonaldTrump," Sasse wrote in a response on Twitter. "We are agreed. We need to break the logjam."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4654106/Trump-Senate-Republicans-kill-Obamacare-replace-later.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
Is someone finally smelling the roses?

Cleaned up title. - Mod2
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:22:03 pm by Mod2 »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

Agree. Get on it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:22:21 pm by Mod2 »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Whoa. He's actually showing leadership on this issue? That's a first!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Not only leadership, but he's right, as well.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Polly Ticks

Good!  This is what we've been asking for all along, not to mention what he campaigned on.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Trump to Senate: Repeal Obamacare Now, Replace Later
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 03:39:36 pm »
President Donald Trump weighed in early Friday morning on the Senate's struggle to pass healthcare reform before vacation, urging GOP Senators to "immediately REPEAL" Obamacare and replace it "at a later date."

His message came on Twitter before 7 a.m. Friday:

Trump's message suggests an approach that is being advocated by Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul, who's said he opposes the bill, which would do both at once.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell postponed a vote on the bill Tuesday because of opposition from conservatives and moderates. He's trying to nail down changes by this weekend to assure the bill's passage after the July 4 recess.

Read more at: http://www.newsmax.com/politics/trump-twitter-senate-healthcare/2017/06/30/id/799107/
The Republic is lost.

Offline CSM

Re: Trump to Senate: Repeal Obamacare Now, Replace Later
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 04:12:55 pm »
Great news!  I can stand behind this current position!

Thank you for posting this update.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 04:49:24 pm »
Great news!  I can stand behind this current position!

Thank you for posting this update.

Well, yes, this is a super policy for Trump to back.  And it is what Rand Paul has been saying.

So, is there any chance it will be adopted?

And if it's ignored, can we still blame Trump for not getting rid of Obamacare?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Whoa. He's actually showing leadership on this issue? That's a first!

Whoa.  You are actually turning what should be a compliment to Trump's current position into a negative.  Congrats.

Offline ConservativeGranny

Why wait and still try to pass this horrible replacement bill? Why not just keep the promise today and just repeal now?

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 06:25:32 pm »
Loved the comment in the article about how the current bill would do both, replace and repeal. LOL! In what universe?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 06:28:39 pm »
Actually this is interesting because it allows an opening to primarying any moderates that don't want to pass repeal or even reform. It also gives cover to kill the current turd of a bill.
The Republic is lost.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 06:31:38 pm »
Like cancer - cut it out and kill it now.

Worry about what kind of prosthetic or replacement will be needed later, if at all.

The body has amazing properties to heal itself once an invasive cancer is removed.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bilo

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 06:37:46 pm »
Well, yes, this is a super policy for Trump to back.  And it is what Rand Paul has been saying.

So, is there any chance it will be adopted?

And if it's ignored, can we still blame Trump for not getting rid of Obamacare?

Yes we can still blame Trump. He has done some things well, but building support for specific legislation is not one of them. In fact he's lost some credibility with legislators when he came out big for the first bill in the House and attacked the House Freedom Caucus. He then turned around and supported the compromise bill that got passed by the House to later say it was "mean" and that the Senate bill would be a lot better. Trump has never had a clear strategy for legislation.

All that being said, the greater amount of blame should be placed on the Pubs in the House and Senate. They've promised us for 7 years that they would repeal obamacare and given the opportunity they haven't done it yet. The best option I've seen is Sen Cruz's amendment, which would return health insurance decision making back to the individual and effectively make obamacare health control system a national high risk pool underwritten by all Americans, not just those in the individual market. 
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 06:39:34 pm »
I am an advocate for this as well.

The truth is, the bill sent to Obama for repeal were done so, knowing they would be vetoed.

I like the idea that we could all see the yea and nay votes, now, when this President would actually sign a repeal bill.

Offline corbe

Yes we can still blame Trump. He has done some things well, but building support for specific legislation is not one of them. In fact he's lost some credibility with legislators when he came out big for the first bill in the House and attacked the House Freedom Caucus. He then turned around and supported the compromise bill that got passed by the House to later say it was "mean" and that the Senate bill would be a lot better. Trump has never had a clear strategy for legislation.

All that being said, the greater amount of blame should be placed on the Pubs in the House and Senate. They've promised us for 7 years that they would repeal obamacare and given the opportunity they haven't done it yet. The best option I've seen is Sen Cruz's amendment, which would return health insurance decision making back to the individual and effectively make obamacare health control system a national high risk pool underwritten by all Americans, not just those in the individual market. 

great summation @bilo  I'm glad he finally came out and said this although he should have been saying this since day one, I guess we now know what his promise earlier this week about a BIG Surprise on Health Care coming this week was about-he was actually (for once) going to make sense of this whole debacle!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bilo

great summation @bilo  I'm glad he finally came out and said this although he should have been saying this since day one, I guess we now know what his promise earlier this week about a BIG Surprise on Health Care coming this week was about-he was actually (for once) going to make sense of this whole debacle!

LOL!

I think he thought Sen Cruz's proposed amendment was going to resolve the problems. It should have!

I am so mad at the Pubs I can't describe it. Here they are in with victory in hand, a once in a generation opportunity where they control the House, the Senate and the Executive, and they can't get any big things done. They are headed towards an epic failure and can only blame themselves.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Now that's acting Presidential!  :patriot:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline corbe

Trump Tries to Revive an Obamacare Repeal Gambit He Once Vetoed

With the Senate bill in doubt, the president suggests scrapping the law now and replacing it later. It won’t work, and it’s less a new strategy than an admission of defeat.

Evan Vucci / AP
Russell Berman
 | 11:56 AM ET

Shortly after the November election, Republican leaders came up with a plan for Obamacare: They would repeal the law quickly upon President Trump taking office, and then delay its enactment so they’d have time to develop a replacement.

The strategy became known as “repeal-and-delay,” and it was catching on with Republican lawmakers, particularly on the right, until it ran into a blockade led by two powerful men: Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky and soon after, Donald Trump.

“I just spoke to @realDonaldTrump and he fully supports my plan to replace Obamacare the same day we repeal it,” Paul tweeted on January 6. “The time to act is now.” The soon-to-be-president picked up the ball and ran, vowing in tweets and interviews that there would be no gap between repeal and replace; Republicans in Congress, he said, would do the deed in the same week, or the same day. Heck, Trump even suggested repeal-and-replace “could be the same hour.”

Repeal-and-delay was dead. The concern, then as now, was that Republicans would never get around to a replacement, that it would need Democratic votes to pass, and that in the meantime, the insurance markets would collapse and millions would lose coverage or face sharply higher prices. On Trump’s orders, GOP leaders on Capitol Hill began working on a plan to roll back and replace the Affordable Care Act simultaneously, in one piece of legislation. And that remained the strategy through Friday morning, when repeal-and-delay shot back to life thanks to the two men—with help from a third—who killed it in the first place.

“If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now,” Trump tweeted, “they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!”

<..snip..>

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/trump-tries-to-revive-an-obamacare-repeal-gambit-he-once-vetoed/532350/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Why wait and still try to pass this horrible replacement bill? Why not just keep the promise today and just repeal now?

That's exactly what Trump is advocating.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 07:20:05 pm »

I knew you could (still blame Trump) LOL.  I agree about Sen Cruz's amendment.  It would turn a bad bill into an okay one but, as far as I know, the Senate has not voted on Cruz's amendment.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
LOL!

I think he thought Sen Cruz's proposed amendment was going to resolve the problems. It should have!

I am so mad at the Pubs I can't describe it. Here they are in with victory in hand, a once in a generation opportunity where they control the House, the Senate and the Executive, and they can't get any big things done. They are headed towards an epic failure and can only blame themselves.

I wonder what the 2018 elections will show about the Senate and House members who have been obstructionists to good legislation.

I don't even know who's up for re-election in 2018 except I know Ted Cruz is and he's a lock in Texas.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"If Republican Senators are unable to pass what they are working on now, they should immediately REPEAL, and then REPLACE at a later date!"

Now you're talking Mr. President!  That's the approach most of us out here in the hinterlands have been screaming for all along!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trump Tries to Revive an Obamacare Repeal Gambit He Once Vetoed

With the Senate bill in doubt, the president suggests scrapping the law now and replacing it later. It won’t work, and it’s less a new strategy than an admission of defeat.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 08:01:48 pm »

...hmm...building support for legislation?  That's really up to the GOP majority leaders in the House and Senate.  If you recall, Ryan didn't push for repeal in the House and thankfully the Freedom Caucus put their foot down and now McConnell has been opposed by 3 in the Senate; Cruz, Paul, and Lee who have not backed down on the issue.  It is Ryan and McConnell who should have been steadfast on repeal; afterall, they campaigned on repeal as well and Ryan opened his mouth and specifically addressed the people after Trump was nominated and stated that they had a tremendous opportunity to get things done!!!  The people are waiting Speaker Ryan and Senate Majority leader McConnell! 

President Trump hopefully realizes that he needs to deliver on what he and most of the GOP campaigned on.  REPEAL and then REPLACE! 

All this mamby pamby b.s. that millions are going to die if Bammycare is repealed needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  Absolutely no plan is going to be perfect.  We do know that Bammycare has been devastating and unaffordable for millions.  It didn't work.  There's a plan that both the House and Senate voted on the Bammy refused to sign.  Rand Paul has come up with a viable plan.  Prior to that Ted Cruz came up with a viable plan.  So....hello....what are you waiting for Ryan and McConnell??  Stalling and not delivering and blaming the DEMS isn't going to work this time around. 

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.