General Category > Energy

Trump moves to dump Obama offshore drilling plan to open up Arctic, Atlantic

(1/1)

thackney:
Trump moves to dump Obama offshore drilling plan to open up Arctic, Atlantic
http://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Trump-moves-to-dump-Obama-offshore-drilling-plan-11256701.php
 June 29, 2017

President Donald Trump has ordered his Cabinet to move ahead on replacing the Obama administration's offshore drilling program, with an eye to opening up the Atlantic and Arctic coastlines to oil and gas development.

In doing so Trump hopes to expand offshore drilling into coastal areas that have long been off-limits to the industry, while undoing a decision by former president Obama that the environmental risks in drilling in the Arctic and Atlantic were too great.

The announcement came during a speech at the Department of Energy in Washington Thursday, as Trump announced a series of energy developments including the approval of a new pipeline to Mexico for petroleum products and a new LNG export terminal in Lake Charles, Louis.

"The truth is we have near limitless supplies of energy in our country," Trump said. "This administration is looking not just American energy independence but American energy dominance. We will export american energy all over the world."

The Interior Department will study the entire U.S. coastline for offshore drilling opportunities, Interior officials said Thursday, adding that Trump had singled out the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas in the Arctic and the southern Atlantic Ocean as opportunities for federal leasing....

IsailedawayfromFR:

--- Quote from: thackney on June 29, 2017, 08:55:31 pm ---Trump moves to dump Obama offshore drilling plan to open up Arctic, Atlantic
http://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Trump-moves-to-dump-Obama-offshore-drilling-plan-11256701.php
 June 29, 2017

President Donald Trump has ordered his Cabinet to move ahead on replacing the Obama administration's offshore drilling program, with an eye to opening up the Atlantic and Arctic coastlines to oil and gas development.

In doing so Trump hopes to expand offshore drilling into coastal areas that have long been off-limits to the industry, while undoing a decision by former president Obama that the environmental risks in drilling in the Arctic and Atlantic were too great.

The announcement came during a speech at the Department of Energy in Washington Thursday, as Trump announced a series of energy developments including the approval of a new pipeline to Mexico for petroleum products and a new LNG export terminal in Lake Charles, Louis.

"The truth is we have near limitless supplies of energy in our country," Trump said. "This administration is looking not just American energy independence but American energy dominance. We will export american energy all over the world."

The Interior Department will study the entire U.S. coastline for offshore drilling opportunities, Interior officials said Thursday, adding that Trump had singled out the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas in the Arctic and the southern Atlantic Ocean as opportunities for federal leasing....

--- End quote ---
One good way to revitalize a struggling offshore industry.

Working in Houston during the Baltimore Canyon days in the late 70s, I carpooled with a Geophysicist who interpreted some of that.

He asked me one time "Is it possible to drill and develop in 5,000' of water?" 

I think I laughed at him as, at the time, the deepest water depths of drilling were only a few scientific coreholes at that depth and the deepest developments were in water depths of just over 1,000'.  Nothing subsea except individuals wells.

I told him "It is possible I guess, but it has never been done and is not likely until next century, so it will not be economic".

His answer "I found a feature that, if filled to base, could contain 5 billion barrels".

We are now well into the next century.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version