Author Topic: Toxic Waste From Solar Panels: 300 Times That of Nuclear Power  (Read 730 times)

rangerrebew

Toxic Waste From Solar Panels: 300 Times That of Nuclear Power
David Middleton / 15 mins ago June 29, 2017   

Guest post by David Middleton

Are We Headed for a Solar Waste Crisis?

June 28, 2017 by Mark Nelson

Last November, Japan’s Environment Ministry issued a stark warning: the amount of solar panel waste Japan produces every year will rise from 10,000 to 800,000 tons by 2040, and the nation has no plan for safely disposing of it.

Neither does California, a world leader in deploying solar panels. Only Europe requires solar panel makers to collect and dispose of solar waste at the end of their lives.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/29/toxic-waste-from-solar-panels-300-times-that-of-nuclear-power/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:57:48 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Mom MD

Re: Toxic Waste From Solar Panels: 300 Times That of Nuclear Power
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:59:33 pm »
But  But  But

This is green energy. It is environmentally friendly.  There can't be any waste!!!
 :nono: :nono: :nono:

(whacko environmentalists have to be some of the most gullible people on the planet)
God is still in control

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

Re: Toxic Waste From Solar Panels: 300 Times That of Nuclear Power
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 03:28:16 am »
The study defines as toxic waste the spent fuel assemblies from nuclear plants and the solar panels themselves, which contain similar heavy metals and toxins as other electronics, such as computers and smartphones.

Quick show of hands...how many people think that their smartphones need to be disposed of in deep boreholes like spent fuel assemblies from nuclear plants?  Just because something contains certain constituents doesn't mean they're a hazard.

A chunk of solar panel has much more recycling potential and much less acute hazard than spent nuclear fuel.  There are also more effective means of making some constituents less toxic; for example, binding metals to form stable sulfide complexes.

Making up a term "toxic waste"* and using purely mass, rather than toxic equivalents, is the type of dishonest BS the greenies use.  Make the arguments honestly, not with some made-up tripe.

*I wouldn't use the legal term "hazardous waste" (as defined in the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and related), though, either...it's a bizarre definition.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn