Author Topic: Fewer cardiac arrests after Affordable Care Act expanded coverage  (Read 4131 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Fewer cardiac arrests after Affordable Care Act expanded coverage
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2017, 04:31:25 pm »
Not just the ordinary poor! Add in heroin addicts, tweekers, people who catch incurable diseases because of how they behave, and so much more!

Don't forget our recent arrivals, legal and otherwise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2017, 04:47:21 pm »
Round them up!  We must reduce the surplus population.   :smokin:
Nonsense! Leave them to their own devices and they will take care of that by themselves.  :smokin:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2017, 05:02:12 pm »
Nonsense! Leave them to their own devices and they will take care of that by themselves.  :smokin:

Are there no prisons?  And the Union workhouses they should still be in operation.  Those who are badly off must go there. So what if many can't go there; and they would rather die.
I say if they would rather die they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2017, 05:05:00 pm »
@Wingnut

Marley wants a word ....
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2017, 05:05:50 pm »
Are there no prisons?  And the Union workhouses they should still be in operation.  Those who are badly off must go there. So what if many can't go there; and they would rather die.
I say if they would rather die they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.
What in the Dickens do you mean?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2017, 05:06:20 pm »
@Wingnut

Marley wants a word ....
'Sup, Jake?

C S Lewis

Wingnut

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 05:09:40 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2017, 05:18:11 pm »
What in the Dickens do you mean?

This whole diversion of discourse is just an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about this, whatever it is!
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2017, 05:20:00 pm »
I'll wait for Fezziwig to chime in. He's got sense.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2017, 05:25:55 pm »
I'll wait for Fezziwig to chime in. He's got sense.

He's part of the 1% and too damn cheery for the likes of your average Democrat to tolerate.

Sense?

Bah Humbug!

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2017, 05:31:40 pm »
The ACA HAS been a boon for some folks.   

A real boon to democrats, for it keeps their voters alive longer, at others' expense.

What exactly is the value to a society, to keep the least productive, non-self-supporting people alive forever?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2017, 05:32:15 pm »
He's part of the 1% and too damn cheery for the likes of your average Democrat to tolerate.

Sense?

Bah Humbug!
God Bless us, every one!

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2017, 05:40:34 pm »
God Bless us, every one!

Bob Cratchit offers a sincere and devout toast. The others repeat it, somewhat ritualistically; they "echo" Bob's sentiments, rather than expressing their own. Not Tim. He is so moved and so devout that he adds to the toast, emphasizing it, but also enlarging it. It is a particularization--"us" is vague, but "every one" is particular. "Everyone" would have been redundant, but "every one" is not. Part of the genius of the scene is that Tim blesses all those present--which happens to include Scrooge, although he is unseen. Cratchit's words are said for the family he loves so much. "Us" is specific, and exclusive. Tim's words reach beyond "us" to include Scrooge, and indeed, everyone.

As for the rhythm and the meaning of the sentence, Dickens had choices:

God bless us.
God bless us all.
God bless us all, everyone.
God bless us all, every one.
God bless us every one.​

The penultimate sentence in that list is pretty good. I might have settled for it. But not Dickens. His choice produces a moment when prose turns to poetry. It is genius.

Offline CSM

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2017, 05:47:30 pm »
This is complete and total fraud.  If their hypothesis is actually true, then why did they need to narrow the sample to a single county in the state?  In fact, I would bet that a full state-wide look at the stats would likely show an increase in the same data.  The same group committed this fraud in relation to the "positive impact of smoking bans" in a single county in North Dakota.  It has been completely debunked by so many groups and so often that they actually had to go pull the study.

In fact, I just did a quick google search and found that the OHCA incidences nationwide was 320K in 2014 and 326K in 2015.  Hence, using their own logic, I could blame Obamacare for the rise in heart attacks! 

The amazing thing is that people buy this nonsense.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2017, 05:50:18 pm »
Bob Cratchit offers a sincere and devout toast. The others repeat it, somewhat ritualistically; they "echo" Bob's sentiments, rather than expressing their own. Not Tim. He is so moved and so devout that he adds to the toast, emphasizing it, but also enlarging it. It is a particularization--"us" is vague, but "every one" is particular. "Everyone" would have been redundant, but "every one" is not. Part of the genius of the scene is that Tim blesses all those present--which happens to include Scrooge, although he is unseen. Cratchit's words are said for the family he loves so much. "Us" is specific, and exclusive. Tim's words reach beyond "us" to include Scrooge, and indeed, everyone.

As for the rhythm and the meaning of the sentence, Dickens had choices:

God bless us.
God bless us all.
God bless us all, everyone.
God bless us all, every one.
God bless us every one.​

The penultimate sentence in that list is pretty good. I might have settled for it. But not Dickens. His choice produces a moment when prose turns to poetry. It is genius.
I believe that Dickens (and others) not only knew the value of meter and sound orchestration in prose, but equally relied on the subtle nuances of semantics to reach those who were similarly capable.
It is indeed a level of competence rarely seen in most modern writers who have neither the knowledge of the language nor the talent for their chosen craft.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2017, 05:52:33 pm »
This is complete and total fraud.  If their hypothesis is actually true, then why did they need to narrow the sample to a single county in the state?  In fact, I would bet that a full state-wide look at the stats would likely show an increase in the same data.  The same group committed this fraud in relation to the "positive impact of smoking bans" in a single county in North Dakota.  It has been completely debunked by so many groups and so often that they actually had to go pull the study.

In fact, I just did a quick google search and found that the OHCA incidences nationwide was 320K in 2014 and 326K in 2015.  Hence, using their own logic, I could blame Obamacare for the rise in heart attacks! 

The amazing thing is that people buy this nonsense.
This is what you get when the bar is lowered to the Algore School of Science and Scamology level. If you discard enough data, you can almost always find something that will fit your desired conclusion and plug it in.

C S Lewis

Offline CSM

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2017, 05:59:18 pm »
I posted a link to the paper.  Would you please critique the specifics you're objecting to?  Was the methodology wrong?

Yes, the sample size is much too small to draw such conclusions.  The differences between the years being measured was 15 less OCHA events in a population of 650,000.  In reality, the national rate of OCHA events had increased during the same period.  Let's run the numbers.  This was a decrease in events by about 0.002% of the population, yet their P-value is 0.01, which means if their claimed "obamacare expansion" had no effect, that we would still observe a reduction of about 7-15%.  In other words, by random chance we should see greater fluctuations in the data than what they have measured in the study.  They clearly cherry picked data.

As I posted in a different response, the national rate of OCHA events in 2014 was 320K and in 2015 it was 326K.  That is a 0.3% increase.  By these fraud's logic, we should be able to blame Obamacare for this increase!  It would hardly be statistical honesty, but it is the right conclusion using their approach.

Don't fall for these frauds, and frauds they are.  They did exactly the same thing a few years ago in ND and they have been debunked several times since.

Wingnut

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2017, 06:00:26 pm »
I believe that Dickens (and others) not only knew the value of meter and sound orchestration in prose, but equally relied on the subtle nuances of semantics to reach those who were similarly capable.
It is indeed a level of competence rarely seen in most modern writers who have neither the knowledge of the language nor the talent for their chosen craft.

Man you sure do use your tongue prettier than a $20 Hooker!

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2017, 06:04:18 pm »
@Wingnut

Marley wants a word ....

Marley's dead, Jim... :silly:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2017, 06:05:25 pm »

It's twue, it's twue...
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline CSM

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2017, 06:07:06 pm »
should people be forced to pay to prevent deaths of the poor.

Really?  Does that even sound reasonable when you re-read it?  How much should we force people to pay in order to prevent the impossible?  People die, always have and always will.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2017, 06:24:27 pm »
Mebbe I can get me a phony baloney job!

(I have no taste for champagne...) C'mon Wingy, sing it!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:25:39 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2017, 07:30:40 pm »

To go from Dickens to Brooks in the space of a few posts shows complete dexterity of the individual to regard the classics whether they be England's or America's.

Wingnut

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2017, 07:42:52 pm »
To go from Dickens to Brooks in the space of a few posts shows complete dexterity of the individual to regard the classics whether they be England's or America's.

Dickens and Brooks.  Are they that new C&W group that plays both kinds of music...Country and Western?