Author Topic: Fewer cardiac arrests after Affordable Care Act expanded coverage  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: Fewer cardiac arrests after Affordable Care Act expanded coverage
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 01:22:21 pm »
Expansion of health care insurance as a result of implementing the Affordable Care Act in Oregon significantly reduced the burden of sudden cardiac arrest (by 17 percent) among 45- to 64-year-old residents of Multnomah County. Such an effect was not observed in the over 65 age group, for whom coverage did not change.

Notice how we don't get haw many cardiac arrests happened in OR or over how many years this was compared? This omission is intentional.

Yes, they are clearly in there.  Not sure how you missed them.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 01:26:30 pm »
The only ones who make out well on Obama care is those who are on expanded medicaid. And they call ambulances to go to the ER for a sore throat because it costs them nothing.

BINGO.

So the question is, is there a way to triage ER visitors so cases such as that get turned away and forced to go to a clinic?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »
BINGO.

So the question is, is there a way to triage ER visitors so cases such as that get turned away and forced to go to a clinic?

No. Because....lawyers.
When a person comes into the ER, you have to treat them.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline thackney

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 01:33:45 pm »
BINGO.

You know this is easily possible.  What is lacking is the will to stand up to the unreasonable demands, against social "just-us" warriors.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 01:35:50 pm »
BINGO.

Blue Cross actually tried to do this and got massive pushback from Hospitals and Lawyers.   Their approach was to tell the insured that if they went to the ER and it was determined to be a non-critical issue then coverage would be denied. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 01:35:55 pm »
No. Because....lawyers.
When a person comes into the ER, you have to treat them.

That should not be forced into the ER.  Judgement and referral to the appropriate clinic would eventual reduce this ER burden.  Always accommodating the people abusing the system has only lead to more abuse.

Offline thackney

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 01:37:57 pm »
Blue Cross actually tried to do this and got massive pushback from Hospitals and Lawyers.   Their approach was to tell the insured that if they went to the ER and it was determined to be a non-critical issue then coverage would be denied.

As it should be.  I worked with a man who did this with his family.  He would not make doctor's appointments.  He only went to the ER, for anything including kids with sniffles.  He was making over $100,000/yr.  He was also an idiot.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 01:42:21 pm »
Yes, they are clearly in there.  Not sure how you missed them.

Bullshit. There are no numbers other than the national numbers in the article. You have to go to the JAHA study to find out that they only did this study over 5 years. When you are dealing with such a small sample (under 900 people) 17% is not a lot. Why not show us the data over 20 years? Because they know it will not give them the results they want.

Beyond that, Obamacare costs are not free as the article claims. Preventative care costs 4X what it did without it.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 01:45:40 pm »
As it should be.  I worked with a man who did this with his family.  He would not make doctor's appointments.  He only went to the ER, for anything including kids with sniffles.  He was making over $100,000/yr.  He was also an idiot.

My insurance plan has a $250 copay for ER visits.   It gets waived if you're admitted or in a couple other cases.   Like if you go in because of chest pain you don't pay the copay.    Personally I think this is a good approach.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 01:47:52 pm »
That should not be forced into the ER.  Judgement and referral to the appropriate clinic would eventual reduce this ER burden.  Always accommodating the people abusing the system has only lead to more abuse.

You go to the ER and they turn you away. Then you have a heart attack. Then you sue the hospital for turning you away. Then a lawyer gets rich.
I worked in the ER. We had to treat everyone. However, it might take us a long time to get to you.

Countdown to Resignation

Offline thackney

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 01:49:21 pm »
My insurance plan has a $250 copay for ER visits.   It gets waived if you're admitted or in a couple other cases.   Like if you go in because of chest pain you don't pay the copay.    Personally I think this is a good approach.

Story was from over 20 years ago, probably should have said that.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 02:08:37 pm »
You just made an apples-to-oranges comparison.  Comparing to the American population, you should be comparing to the county population included in the study.  It's given as 636,000 adults.  That's about 0.25% of the US.  The analysis showed a lot of statistical power.

Actually, no.  The population of that county suffered heart attacks at an extremely small rate both before and after the ACA.

There were 377 incidences in the year before - 0.0593% of the county population; vs. 354 incidences 3 years later - 0.0556% of the county population. Controlling for other potential factors, especially region-specific variables and changes in the population cohort over a three-year period, this is not particularly significant.

The greatest differential was among the younger age group (45 to 64) - 102 incidences before vs. 85 three years after - which is the "17%" they are crowing about - but those are vanishingly small numbers in a large population: 0.016% before, vs. 0.013% afterward.

And, even if increased access to Medicare caused this modest improvement, is it really worth bankrupting the country?     
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 02:14:58 pm »
Take a look at the sample size: one county, about 350 people. Put another way, that's about 0.0001% of the American population.

B I N G O ! ! !
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 02:24:46 pm »

Well, I do have to admit that one problem is if the person doesn't get the full care they might receive in an ER setting. 

The daughter of a friend of mine was recently diagnosed by the ER with cancer after being sent home by the urgent-care clinic, where the doctor made her feel like a hypochondriac because the strep and mono tests were negative.
+++++++++

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 02:25:41 pm »
Statistical noise?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2017, 02:27:17 pm »
Statistical noise?

Look at the report.  Doesn't look like noise.
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2017, 02:28:52 pm »
And, even if increased access to Medicare caused this modest improvement, is it really worth bankrupting the country?   

That's part of the question...how much are lives worth, and should people be forced to pay to prevent deaths of the poor.
+++++++++

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2017, 02:45:08 pm »

Psst...Medicaid
Countdown to Resignation

Offline thackney

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 03:05:58 pm »
That's part of the question...how much are lives worth, and should people be forced to pay to prevent postpone deaths of the poor anybody.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2017, 03:27:21 pm »
That's part of the question...how much are lives worth, and should people be forced to pay to prevent postpone deaths of the poor anybody.

Amen!  We are all going to die!  It's a pre-existing condition we all have!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2017, 03:33:49 pm »
Well, I do have to admit that one problem is if the person doesn't get the full care they might receive in an ER setting. 

The daughter of a friend of mine was recently diagnosed by the ER with cancer after being sent home by the urgent-care clinic, where the doctor made her feel like a hypochondriac because the strep and mono tests were negative.

I don't trust urgent care clinics.   They are fine for cuts and bruises, maybe a sinus infection that flares up on a holiday weekend.

They've missed serious conditions in my kids.   They are a good tool to reduce some medical costs but they don't replace a good family doctor. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2017, 04:02:01 pm »
The A.C.A. being signed into law alone has reduced heart attacks by 17%?

Right.  Whatever.

Bunch of quacks.
Yeah. People got the bill and had a heart attack and died. Then the numbers dropped off from the peak...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2017, 04:03:33 pm »
Psst...Medicaid
Yep! We have the 'best fed' poor people on the planet!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2017, 04:06:31 pm »
That's part of the question...how much are lives worth, and should people be forced to pay to prevent deaths of the poor.
Not just the ordinary poor! Add in heroin addicts, tweekers, people who catch incurable diseases because of how they behave, and so much more!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:07:22 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2017, 04:19:30 pm »
Not just the ordinary poor! Add in heroin addicts, tweekers, people who catch incurable diseases because of how they behave, and so much more!

Round them up!  We must reduce the surplus population.   :smokin: