Author Topic: EU slaps Google with record $2.7B antitrust fine for skewing search results  (Read 889 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The European Union on Tuesday handed down a record $2.7 billion fine to Google for abusing its dominant position as a search result to advance its own product.

The European Commission, the executive arm of the EU, said that Google gave itself an illegal advantage by boosting its own comparison shopping service on its website, giving it an unfair leg up over competitors' products.

More: http://thehill.com/policy/technology/339602-eu-slaps-google-with-record-27-billion-antitrust-fine-for-skewing-search

Link says it's a breaking story and will be updated during the day.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline kevindavis007

The EU is nothing more than a bureaucrats dream come true..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
The EU is nothing more than a bureaucrats dream come true..

Same for google
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Yellow Pages 1970...dominant/exclusive "search engine" and 100% "skewed" results by ad $$ placement. EU nightmare, sue 'em!!  ;-)  Oh, but you did get your one line white page business listing.

Offline driftdiver

Yellow Pages 1970...dominant/exclusive "search engine" and 100% "skewed" results by ad $$ placement. EU nightmare, sue 'em!!  ;-)  Oh, but you did get your one line white page business listing.

Hardly an equal comparison.

A better one would be the white pages.  Where you have to pay to have your name show up.  And if they don't like you they'll repress your name anyway

Wingnut

Hardly an equal comparison.

A better one would be the white pages.  Where you have to pay to have your name show up.  And if they don't like you they'll repress your name anyway

Yeah. Sucks to have a last name that starts with "Z".  Damn Whitepage privilege.

Offline driftdiver

Yeah. Sucks to have a last name that starts with "Z".  Damn Whitepage privilege.

Pay up and you can be first.   Unless of course they don't like you.