Author Topic: More proof that no one knows anything about wine  (Read 1252 times)

Offline endicom

More proof that no one knows anything about wine
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:03:31 pm »
Market Watch
Steven Kutz
June 14, 2017

It’s hard not to laugh when you hear the way some wines are described. A wine can be briary, burnt, blunt, brawny or backward. It can be fat, fleshy or flinty. And it can be described to have a finish you hope will never, well, finish. But a recent report shows those highfalutin adjectives translate into big money for winemakers.

In a recent experiment, participants were presented with the same wine — once with no information about it and once with an elaborate description — and formed very different opinions of them. Consumers typically see wine descriptions on bottle labels and on websites that sell the wine.

More... http://www.marketwatch.com/story/more-proof-that-no-one-knows-anything-about-wine-2017-06-14

Or beer or single-malt scotch or...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:05:15 pm by endicom »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: More proof that no one knows anything about wine
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 09:29:38 pm »
I know wine always tastes better in the restaurant than it does when I buy the same wine and drink it at home.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:31:48 pm »
I know wine always tastes better in the restaurant than it does when I buy the same wine and drink it at home.

Thats cause a glass of wine at home doesn't cost $15.

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 09:33:07 pm »

Ambiance. It's the ambiance. Or some such crap.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:34:13 pm »
Thats cause a glass of wine at home doesn't cost $15.

I don't know, that Red Rooster ain't as cheap as it used to be.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:38:29 pm »

I don't know, that Red Rooster ain't as cheap as it used to be.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 11:02:16 pm »
"The wine varietals that participants tasted were Chardonnay, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc."

Stop right there.

They lost credibility when they performed the test with white wines.

But the study is bogus anyway. At a certain quality level, differences in appreciation are somewhat subjective. But if you toss me a glass of Two Buck Chuck versus, say, Chateau Montelena, I will be able to tell the difference in a heartbeat.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 12:27:49 am »
Except for a few German - Austrian wines like a Mosel or Gewurztraminer I just dont like wine. Goes back to a large bottle of MD20-20 we finished off in 1976 at a high school party and emptying my stomach all over my car seat afterward. God knows how I made it home. But since then the smell of most wine gives me flashbacks.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 12:48:29 am »
They are building aTrader Joes near me. If I want wine, I'll get two buck Chuck. I hear it's ok.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 01:00:19 am »
One thing about wine: the more you drink, the less you know.

If you drink enough of it, you won't even be able to taste it at all!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 01:29:36 am »

Lose the box and hold it by the bag, Nancy.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.