Author Topic: Heart healthy diet as effective as statins, American Heart Association says  (Read 575 times)

rangerrebew

Heart healthy diet as effective as statins, American Heart Association says
June 26, 2017 by Meredith Cohn, The Baltimore Sun

Replacing foods high in saturated fats with those that have unsaturated fats can reduce a person's chance of developing heart disease as much as cholesterol lowering drugs known as statins, according to new advice from the American Heart Association.

This would mean, for instance, swapping that steak for a healthier avocado, using canola oil instead of butter, and not eating carb-filled junk food.

The new guidance from the heart association is not a leap from past direction, but the group sought a fresh look at the evidence in light of some newer, less scientific studies and dietary fads that officials feared were confusing the public.

Read more at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-06-heart-healthy-diet-effective-statins.html#jCp

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
They obviously did not check with the pharma companies before publishing this story.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

Heart healthy diet as effective as statins

I highly doubt it. 

Statins can reduce cholesterol in people not eating a heart-healthy diet.  I'd like to see a heart-healthy diet do that!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn