Author Topic: Cellulosic biofuels can benefit the environment if managed correctly  (Read 949 times)

rangerrebew

Cellulosic biofuels can benefit the environment if managed correctly
June 29, 2017

Could cellulosic biofuels - or liquid energy derived from grasses and wood - become a green fuel of the future, providing an environmentally sustainable way of meeting energy needs? In Science, researchers at the U.S. Department of Energy-funded Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center say yes, but with a few important caveats.

"The climate benefit of cellulosic biofuels is actually much greater than was originally thought," said Phil Robertson, University Distinguished Professor of Ecosystem Science at Michigan State University and lead author on the study. "But that benefit depends crucially on several different factors, all of which we need to understand to get right."

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-cellulosic-biofuels-benefit-environment-correctly.html#jCp

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Cellulosic biofuels can benefit the environment if managed correctly
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:41:40 pm »
Those will still be expensive fuels as they will take much more energy to produce than they give back as transportation fuels.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:40:18 pm »
If we wish to get on this bandwagon of growing our fuel, then we will need the benefits of more CO2 so the crops thrive.

Ok greenies:  which do you want?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 01:13:46 am »
If we wish to get on this bandwagon of growing our fuel, then we will need the benefits of more CO2 so the crops thrive.

Ok greenies:  which do you want?

What they really want is for you to bow to them and acknowledge they are your lord and master and that you will agree to become a serf in their new feudal society.

For your own good of course.........

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 01:38:40 am »
First, the researchers show how growing native perennial species on marginal lands -land not used for food production because of low fertility or other reasons - avoids competition with food security, and provides the greatest potential for climate mitigation and biodiversity benefits.

Second, crop choice is key. Native perennial species offer superior environmental outcomes to annual crops, but no single crop appears to be ideal for all locations. In fact, in some cases mixed species crops provide superior benefits. Third, nitrogen fertilizer use should be avoided or minimized because of its global warming and other environmental impacts.

If they are targeting marginal lands and no nitrogen fertilizers, how much crop can they take off the land before the land becomes barren?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 03:37:21 am »
If they are targeting marginal lands and no nitrogen fertilizers, how much crop can they take off the land before the land becomes barren?
But if they burn out the farmland (nutrient wise) then people can starve while they virtue signal with SUVs running on E85. Georgia Guidestones and all that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 03:56:08 am »

Rotate crops.

But I think they'd be okay with wastewater irrigation.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 03:59:06 am »
Rotate crops.

But I think they'd be okay with wastewater irrigation.
Yeah, that'll smell good.  *****rollingeyes*****
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 11:25:19 am »
Given the fact that there is plenty of oil for the next 3-4 decades at least (I'm confident even longer), this crap is totally unnecessary.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 12:24:31 pm »
Given the fact that there is plenty of oil for the next 3-4 decades at least (I'm confident even longer), this crap is totally unnecessary.
I think they are trying to get away from the critics who complain we are using food for fuel.

Same way they claim all that desert land wasted with solar panels was not being used either.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington