Author Topic: Trump signs VA reform bill, following through on campaign promise  (Read 577 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump signs VA reform bill, following through on campaign promise
Fox News, Jun 23, 2017, Barnini Chakraborty

President Trump on Friday signed Veterans Affairs reform legislation meant to protect whistleblowers while making it easier to fire problematic employees at the department.

The Department of Veterans Affairs Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act passed by Congress earlier this month streamlines the process to remove, demote, or suspend VA employees for poor performance or misconduct. In addition, it authorizes the VA secretary to recoup any bonuses awarded to employees who have acted improperly.

“Veterans have fulfilled their duty to this nation and now, we must fulfill our duty to them,” Trump said. “So to every veteran who is here with us today, I just want to say two very simple words, thank you.”

Under the new law, protections for whistleblowers will be expanded and the VA will be prevented from dismissing an employee who has an open complaint against the department.

The bill was prompted by the 2014 scandal at the Phoenix medical center where patients died while waiting for health care.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/23/trump-signs-va-reform-bill-following-through-on-campaign-promise.html

Offline Concerned

Re: Trump signs VA reform bill, following through on campaign promise
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 06:33:11 pm »
Good to see a rare case of bipartisanship in Washington (for a change).   Taking proper care of veterans is something we all should care about, and it is something the President is obviously genuinely concerned about.   Now time to truly fix the wait times and overall quality of care available to veterans.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:33:43 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:33:45 pm »
   I wish I could be more optimistic about this, but Trump promoted the #2 guy to head this CF and I am a Veteran that has used the VA in the past, so I speak from personal experience.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:19:43 pm »
TTTT

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 12:20:44 am »

President Trump on Friday signed Veterans Affairs reform legislation meant to protect whistleblowers while making it easier to fire problematic employees at the department.

The Department of Veterans Affairs Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act passed by Congress earlier this month streamlines the process to remove, demote, or suspend VA employees for poor performance or misconduct. In addition, it authorizes the VA secretary to recoup any bonuses awarded to employees who have acted improperly.

“Veterans have fulfilled their duty to this nation and now, we must fulfill our duty to them,” Trump said. “So to every veteran who is here with us today, I just want to say two very simple words, thank you.”

Under the new law, protections for whistleblowers will be expanded and the VA will be prevented from dismissing an employee who has an open complaint against the department. .........

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/23/trump-signs-va-reform-bill-following-through-on-campaign-promise.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 12:28:28 am »
This was a nice event at the White House  with Veteran speakers and packed in the audience---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAhoxIOmLWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAhoxIOmLWA

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 01:50:34 am »
Sorry, RIV I didn't see that you had posted the same story.  Hopefully the Mods will merge the two.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 02:58:03 am »

I am a vet, but have never used the VA. First I have not yet had serious conditions, 2nd I made it to Medicare age, 3rd I heard bad stories about the VA.

However I have known several vets that used the VA, and speak well of it. Long Beach, California BTW.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 03:11:33 am »
I am a vet, but have never used the VA. First I have not yet had serious conditions, 2nd I made it to Medicare age, 3rd I heard bad stories about the VA.

However I have known several vets that used the VA, and speak well of it. Long Beach, California BTW.

In all Honesty @truth_seeker  I too have heard good stories about the VA in the last couple of years, there has been some effort to stop the bleeding.
   I was speaking for those needlessly neglected in the likes of Phoenix, McCain head of the Senate Committee, no less, and Chicago, I know that you'd agree with me that ONE is to Many.

And to add insult to injury America is somehow convinced the GOV can handle HealthCare.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.