Author Topic: GOP health bill is a disaster for opioid crisis  (Read 1713 times)

Offline libertybele

GOP health bill is a disaster for opioid crisis
« on: June 23, 2017, 12:02:06 am »
GOP health bill is a disaster for opioid crisis

America’s addiction crisis is the defining public health challenge of our time. In 2015, more than 52,000 Americans died of drug overdoses, the majority related to opioids — far more than died from car accidents. More than 20 million Americans live with substance use disorders, leading to immeasurable suffering for individuals and families and costing our nation a staggering $442 billion in health care costs, lost productivity and criminal justice expenses.

Tragically, the American Health Care Act (AHCA) passed by the House would be a major step backward in addressing the addiction epidemic in America, and the Senate is on the same harmful path.....

.....Senators say they are fixing these problems, but from what we know so far, the fixes are nowhere near adequate. Medicaid expansion funding will likely still end — just more slowly than in the House bill. Millions of people will still be left without insurance. Senators may earmark some funding specifically for addiction treatment but, realistically, it won't be enough to cover the vast numbers who would lose access to treatment. Even more important, such an approach ignores a fundamental reality that addiction is rarely an isolated condition. Many people living with substance use disorders need comprehensive insurance to treat related health conditions such as chronic pain, anxiety and depression.........

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/06/22/gop-health-bill-disaster-substance-abuse-patients-vivek-murthy-column/103023032/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

Re: GOP health bill is a disaster for opioid crisis
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 01:37:31 am »
Tragically, the American Health Care Act (AHCA) passed by the House would be a major step backward in addressing the addiction epidemic in America, and the Senate is on the same harmful path.....

Enough already.  Drug overdose deaths have increased 36% since Obamacare was passed.  So getting rid of it won't cost any lives.  If anything, it will save lives once people no longer have Obamacare paying for their fentanyl.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:39:20 am »
Enough already.  Drug overdose deaths have increased 36% since Obamacare was passed.  So getting rid of it won't cost any lives.  If anything, it will save lives once people no longer have Obamacare paying for their fentanyl.

Excellent point!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 03:40:17 am »
I have chronic pain, and it is like pulling teeth to get medication, and that medication that I do get is not Fentanyl, or Oxycodone, hydrocodone, Norco, or Vicodin. What I am allowed to have is Tramadol, the imitation opioid that is one step up from Tylenol, which is a joke. I know there are shyster doctors out there that prescribe opioids like candy, but they have always been out there and always will be just like people that abuse the drugs, no matter what the government does.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 04:01:27 am »
Nowhere in this is it even assessed whether the money we are spending is even effective.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 04:56:29 am »
What I am allowed to have is Tramadol, the imitation opioid that is one step up from Tylenol, which is a joke.

Try Turmeric Milk. Seriously. I was on trams and Norco/hydrocodone 7's, sometimes oxys...
I have none of it now. Just Turmeric Milk. Make it from fresh roots. it is effective for me.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 05:13:17 am »
Pardon me while I don't give a shit. I'm done with paying for other peoples problems.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 05:28:07 am »

Obamacare is an invitation for rampant fraud, overbilling, scams, recruitment, etc. Then at the end of using people, they "curb" them which means dump them on the streets to be homeless.

San Clemente Calif. last week, 40 federal LEO raided a so called "treatment" company. Malibu California a company operator has supposedly billed $170 million for "treatment."

Everybody in America is eligible for Betty Ford type "treatment," at cost up to $3,500 per day. And not in a hospital, but in a "sober living house."

Obamacare is ripping off the American taxpayer, for more feel-good liberal BS, this one based on "recovery treatment."

Salvation Army runs effective "low bottom indigent recovery" programs.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 06:33:51 am »
Fake news!  The GOP health bill will not make the Nation's opiod crisis worse...it will make the Nation's opioid crisis BETTER.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 06:45:40 am »
It's a USA Today story.  I'm surprised they didn't say dead babies will be stacking up in the streets.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 08:09:32 am »
Obamacare is an invitation for rampant fraud, overbilling, scams, recruitment, etc. Then at the end of using people, they "curb" them which means dump them on the streets to be homeless.

San Clemente Calif. last week, 40 federal LEO raided a so called "treatment" company. Malibu California a company operator has supposedly billed $170 million for "treatment."

Everybody in America is eligible for Betty Ford type "treatment," at cost up to $3,500 per day. And not in a hospital, but in a "sober living house."

Obamacare is ripping off the American taxpayer, for more feel-good liberal BS, this one based on "recovery treatment."

Salvation Army runs effective "low bottom indigent recovery" programs.
Effectiveness varies, but A/A and N/A (Alcoholics' and Narcotics' Anonymous) programs are all over and free.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 01:45:46 pm »
Try Turmeric Milk. Seriously. I was on trams and Norco/hydrocodone 7's, sometimes oxys...
I have none of it now. Just Turmeric Milk. Make it from fresh roots. it is effective for me.

..hmm...I have chronic pain as well and deal with a lot of inflammation.  I've tried Turmeric capsules and seem to be allergic...perhaps the milk would work...how do you make it or where can you buy it??

Right now ginger and peppermint seem to help.  Have you tried boswellia?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 01:51:31 pm »
Effectiveness varies, but A/A and N/A (Alcoholics' and Narcotics' Anonymous) programs are all over and free.

First of all, the addiction itself needs to be treated.  Some type of detoxification program and then a program to help with cravings and withdrawal. Those programs are extremely expensive. Willpower doesn't usually cut it as the addict is physically dependent.  AA and NA are great programs to help keep people from relapsing.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 02:20:21 pm »
..hmm...I have chronic pain as well and deal with a lot of inflammation.  I've tried Turmeric capsules and seem to be allergic...perhaps the milk would work...how do you make it or where can you buy it??

@libertybele
Turmeric does you no good at all unless taken with fat, and is supercharged by black pepper. Thus, milk fats and coconut oil as described. You may tweak the recipe given, but do not forget turmeric, fat, and pepper.

One of my fav homesteaders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6OwJQprvHA

Right now ginger and peppermint seem to help.  Have you tried boswellia?

Thanks for boswellia, I will look into it.

Another very effective thing has been willow bark tea - Honest-to-God aspirin. Poplar or cottonwood in a pinch... You won't believe the effectiveness. Another: Chaga tea, if you live where birch trees grow. Dandelion coffee is also moderately effective in me.

I now forego all prepared remedy except essential oils, and a preference toward forage. I started testing turmeric milk from a kit - A freeze-dried thing... two little scoops into a glass of heated water... It had very little effect, and I almost missed when I rejected it as ineffective.  On advise, and almost a whim, I made one last effort and bought the ginger and turmeric root fresh and gave it a whirl. What a magnificent difference. The final straw against buying prepared medicine from any but a mixing apothecary... Western or alt med - doesn't really matter... A whole lot of shysters delivering worthless or watered remedies. The rest has been cleansing (like Ojibwa tea) and garden/woods fresh food, and walking it off.

In my experience, I dice the ginger and turmeric exceedingly fine, and start it in a pot with the butter or coconut fat, letting it heat up enough to let the oils leech out of the roots (not boiling, but pretty hot), for about 15min or so... I then retrieve the root and mash it more (mortar and pestle), dump it back in, and add the milk and pepper... honey at the end to taste.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:23:51 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 02:30:38 pm »
The OD rate in a few states may be higher than car accidents though, like in Ohio, West Virginia and Kentucky.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 02:33:04 pm »
Born in UK, was Obama's surgeon general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivek_Murthy

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 02:34:55 pm »
Pardon me while I don't give a shit. I'm done with paying for other peoples problems.

In PA the state is spending big bucks on constant propaganda stories about this so-called crisis.  It's a typical Democrats ploy:  Manufacture a crisis, then flush our hard-earned tax dollars down the toilet to supposedly save us.

But here's the kicker :  At the same time, Pennsylvania has legalized "medical" marijuana and is taking steps to make it available to those who need it.  Ok, but I wonder how much of that medicinal marijuana is going to go to some slackers looking for a buzz? 
As we've learned from Prohibition, try as you might, you can't regulate or stamp out something 100%.  If pepole want booze or drugs, they will find a way to get them. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 02:49:56 pm »
In PA the state is spending big bucks on constant propaganda stories about this so-called crisis.  It's a typical Democrats ploy:  Manufacture a crisis, then flush our hard-earned tax dollars down the toilet to supposedly save us.

As a general rule, any solution that Democrats offer will always make the problem worse.

Democrats have devised a system where the demand for doctors increases and the supply of doctors decreases, leading to more prescriptions being written and less face time with doctors.  Which of course is why Big Pharma played a big role in writing the legislation.

Hence, we have seen a 36% increase in drug overdoses since this Democrat plan has been implemented.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-