Author Topic: Press briefing crackdown worries Trump allies  (Read 480 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Press briefing crackdown worries Trump allies
« on: June 23, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
The press briefings have gone dark.

The briefings, regularly conducted four or five times a week in both the Obama administration and in the early weeks of the Trump administration, have been held far less frequently of late.

And when the White House does give a briefing now, it’s increasingly conducted off-camera.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer has made just seven total appearances before the media in the 18 working days since President Trump came back from his first international trip, an unusually low number for a press secretary.

He held only two on-camera briefings during the week of May 29. Spicer and deputy press secretary Sarah Sanders held one on-camera briefing apiece the week of June 5.

The week of June 12, Spicer held only one on-camera briefing. He has done only one so far this week, bringing the White House total to two in the last 10 days.

The White House’s decision to conduct an increasing number of off-camera briefings could help the administration assert more control over its message, officials say.

Spicer has said the move will deprive reporters of the explosive exchanges they crave.

But that drastic break with tradition has infuriated the press corps and split Trump’s allies, who believe the White House is missing out on an opportunity to directly reach the public without having his message filtered through a media they see as biased against him.

More: http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/339080-new-press-briefing-restrictions-worry-trump-allies

Some tradition. Not even 10 years old.

Of course the press is pissed - they might have to actually work for a living.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Concerned

Re: Press briefing crackdown worries Trump allies
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 01:00:08 pm »
I think a smart White House, with a coordinated and consistent communications plan, could use the daily briefings to their advantage.  Instead, this White House has declared war on the media, is more and more combative and secretive, and offers contradictory messages to the American people (e.g., the reason for firing Comey and whether or not Trump is under investigation).   Spicer has consistently said he’d find things out (e.g., whether the President believes in climate change) and has just not followed up on many of them.  All of this makes the daily briefings increasingly challenging for this administration.

Personally, I think they should welcome the Russia probe, noting that we need to understand how Russia attempted to influence the election so we can offer effective counter-measures in future elections.  I’d focus on that portion of the investigation and indicate the Administration would cooperate fully.  Instead, Trump (and his surrogates) have continued to keep the collusion piece in the news by failing to disclose meetings (e.g., Kushner, Sessions, Flynn), posting ill-advised (IMO) tweets (e.g., references to “tapes”, “wiretapping”, and being “under investigation”), and offering those contradictory messages referenced above.  It seems to me that the more Trump tries to move on from the Russia probe, the more he (and his Administration) keep it in the news and as a result, keep it front and center in the daily briefings.  They’re their own worst enemy IMO.   I doubt if “cracking down” on press briefings is going to help him beyond his base.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:39:50 pm »
Hate to say it because it involves giving credit to someone(s) I detest, but the WH really should take a very close look at how the Worm's lot handled daily press briefings and skim off the cream. They DID use the daily briefings to their full advantage.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:47:30 pm »
   Very astute observations and analysis @Concerned and Welcome to TBR!
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:51:54 pm »
It's just another Trump "create chaos" move.  Not long ago, he said he should do the briefing himself so it was done right.  Neither Spicer nor the woman are Trump, so it isn't done right according to Trump.  This "don't have film going", is a move to shut these down since they are not done right.

HonestJohn

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 02:31:42 pm »
While I think daily press briefings can be excessive if there isn't really anything 'newsworthy' happening (hey, sometimes that can happen, specially if Congress is in recess)...

... I also believe that if you are going to do something, you should try and do your best at it.

---

This comes across as someone that doesn't want to do something and who will do a half-<bleeped> job to prove it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:32:01 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 02:38:28 pm »
I think a smart White House, with a coordinated and consistent communications plan, could use the daily briefings to their advantage.  Instead, this White House has declared war on the media, is more and more combative and secretive, and offers contradictory messages to the American people (e.g., the reason for firing Comey and whether or not Trump is under investigation).   Spicer has consistently said he’d find things out (e.g., whether the President believes in climate change) and has just not followed up on many of them.  All of this makes the daily briefings increasingly challenging for this administration.

Personally, I think they should welcome the Russia probe, noting that we need to understand how Russia attempted to influence the election so we can offer effective counter-measures in future elections.  I’d focus on that portion of the investigation and indicate the Administration would cooperate fully.  Instead, Trump (and his surrogates) have continued to keep the collusion piece in the news by failing to disclose meetings (e.g., Kushner, Sessions, Flynn), posting ill-advised (IMO) tweets (e.g., references to “tapes”, “wiretapping”, and being “under investigation”), and offering those contradictory messages referenced above.  It seems to me that the more Trump tries to move on from the Russia probe, the more he (and his Administration) keep it in the news and as a result, keep it front and center in the daily briefings.  They’re their own worst enemy IMO.   I doubt if “cracking down” on press briefings is going to help him beyond his base.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 05:26:13 pm »

Hey, good post.  You make some excellent points.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.