Author Topic: Carrier moving Trump jobs to Mexico  (Read 1459 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Carrier moving Trump jobs to Mexico
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:13:11 pm »
Carrier, the heating and air-conditioning manufacturer, is laying off more than 600 employees from its Indianapolis plant next month, the same plant Trump vowed to keep on American soil, per CNBC. Those manufacturing jobs will go to Mexico, where labor is significantly cheaper.

More: https://www.axios.com/carrier-moving-jobs-trump-vowed-to-save-to-mexico-2446291250.html

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Carrier moving Trump jobs to Mexico
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:15:35 pm »
Carrier moving jobs to Mexico, Ford moving jobs to China.

Seems that the fear factor has evaporated.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:22:04 pm »
I wonder how many 'wink and nod' promises were made during the campaign to get the photo-ops which never were intended to be fulfilled.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:15 pm »
This is an example of why tax reform should have already happened.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:21:21 pm »
This is an example of why tax reform should have already happened.

Give that comment a Ci-gar!

Astounding how difficult it is to get voters to understand that 'Tax Breaks For The Rich, and Nothing For The Workers' is a flat out lie.

Corporations do not pay Govt. mandated taxes.

Their consumers pay them as pass throughs.

Get rid, completely rid, of the Corporate Income Tax and watch jobs Stay here and other companies/jobs from all over the world flock here: with the end result being far More actual Revenues collected by the Treasury through more and smaller paycheck deductions.

Simply Astounding.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:51:40 pm »
Thank goodness Trump has already taken credit for saving those jobs.  You can't take away his self aggrandizing victory tweet just because it ain't true.

Offline ConservativeGranny

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:14:29 pm »
Isn't his own daughter's shoe factory located in China? Just saying...

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 11:31:46 pm »
Thank goodness Trump has already taken credit for saving those jobs.  You can't take away his self aggrandizing victory tweet just because it ain't true.

Well, there IS the 700,000 jobs created this year...and unemployment dropping to 4.4%. Oh yeah, and that little thing known as the stock market has jumped 14% or so as well since his election. Seems less like self aggrandizing than just...well...plain aggrandizing the US economy. And yes, much of that comes from a far more optimistic business environment directly attributable to his presidency.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:32:04 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline rodamala

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 03:09:32 am »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 03:29:50 am »
Well, there IS the 700,000 jobs created this year...and unemployment dropping to 4.4%. Oh yeah, and that little thing known as the stock market has jumped 14% or so as well since his election. Seems less like self aggrandizing than just...well...plain aggrandizing the US economy. And yes, much of that comes from a far more optimistic business environment directly attributable to his presidency.
Or, more accurately, Obama being term-limited out of office.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 03:48:43 am »

Maybe he was "bluffing"  :silly:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 06:16:39 am »
You do a great job singing President Trump's praises.  He is lucky to have you on his team.

I had a year to assess Donald Trump as a candidate and 6 months to assess him as a President.  While I have agreed with some of his decisions as President I see very little reason to reassess my original opinion of him as ignorant, erratic, ill-equipped to lead us, ethically compromised, and dangerous in his short comings. 

Congrats to President Trump that you give him credit for jobs and the Stock Market.  I believe they are growing despite Trump's incompetence and his dysfunctional cabinet.

Online DB

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 07:19:38 am »

Well actually much of that was based optimism on what he promised to do - and yet to do.

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 07:55:45 am »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 08:04:02 am »
Oh come on, folks, give the guy a chance. Now that he has stopped global warming in the US, the Mexicans are really going to need those air conditioners.... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 09:00:49 am »
I suspect we'll see another push to Buy American some day soon, much like in the 80's.

The problem is that you can build an air conditioner in Mexico, then ship it to the U.S. to be "completed".  By completed, that means slapping a sticker on the product and placing it into a nice shipping box.  As long as the cost of the U.S. portion of the work exceeds that of the originating country, you can call it Made In America.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 09:11:50 am »
United Technologies, which owns Carrier, is a public traded company.  They are therefore beholden to shareholders, who can sue the company for reckless behavior that hurts their investments.

If the CEO of Carrier came out and stated, "we will stay in the U.S. even though it costs ten times as much to produce a product", he could go to jail.  Now you get into all sorts of legal wrangling in these types of things and people rarely land themselves in the big house, but one fact remains with public traded companies.  You are legally bound to act in the company's (shareholders) best interest.

So bitch and moan all you want about "the man" and "greedy corporate bastards".  You're barking up the wrong tree.  The toxic business environment within the borders of the U.S. are not their creation.  Well, some of it is, but mostly it comes from our fearless leaders.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 11:17:56 am »
@Hondo69
This seems to me like a lack of faith in the changes being made at the regulatory level.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis