Author Topic: WSJ fires reporter over ethics violation  (Read 506 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
WSJ fires reporter over ethics violation
« on: June 21, 2017, 08:35:00 pm »
The Wall Street Journal has fired one of its top reporters after an Associated Press investigation revealed he had engaged in questionable business arrangements with a source.

Jay Solomon, the paper’s chief foreign correspondent reporter, was let go after the AP revealed one of his sources, Farhad Azim, a CIA arms dealer, had offered him a stake in one of his companies.

“I clearly made mistakes in my reporting and entered into a world I didn’t understand.” Solomon told the AP. “I never entered into any business with Farhad Azima, nor did I ever intend to. But I understand why the emails and the conversations I had with Mr. Azima may look like I was involved in some seriously troubling activities. I apologize to my bosses and colleagues at the Journal, who were nothing but great to me.”

The Wall Street Journal said in a statement it was “dismayed” by Solomon’s actions and “poor judgment.”

“While our own investigation continues, we have concluded that Mr. Solomon violated his ethical obligations as a reporter, as well as our standards," the paper said.

More: http://thehill.com/homenews/media/338829-wsj-fires-reporter-over-ethics-violation
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: WSJ fires reporter over ethics violation
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 08:59:57 pm »
Again, a mistake is when you lock your keys in your car or put salt into a dish instead of sugar.  What Solomon did was a deliberate action.