Author Topic: Two Parris Island tragedies in one week: Here's what happened  (Read 473 times)

rangerrebew

Two Parris Island tragedies in one week: Here's what happened

By: Jeff Schogol, June 20, 2017

Within days last year, one recruit at Parris Island was critically injured and another died.

The back-to-back tragedies came amid ongoing hazing investigations at the Marine Corps’ East Coast training depot, but investigators found no evidence that either recruit had been maltreated or abused.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/articles/two-parris-island-tragedies-in-one-week-heres-what-happened
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:45:51 am by rangerrebew »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Two Parris Island tragedies in one week: Here's what happened
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 01:35:30 pm »
Ah, that's really sad.  Neither seemed like a bad kid, nd it doesn't seem like the DI's did anything wrong.

The second incident - the kid with pneumonia who didn't go to sick call -- is understandable.  Nobody wants to be recycled, so he hid his illness from the DI's.  Poor kid.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 03:12:19 pm »
Bolland - the kid with pneumonia - was posthumously walked (not sure what you guys call it). Buried as a PFC.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 03:23:26 pm »
The second incident - the kid with pneumonia who didn't go to sick call -- is understandable.  Nobody wants to be recycled, so he hid his illness from the DI's.  Poor kid.

That was my basic training at Fort Dix. URI was rampant but no one wanted to be recycled. We were all sick and we did have a good turnover for that.