Author Topic: New catalyst paves way for carbon neutral fuel  (Read 880 times)

rangerrebew

New catalyst paves way for carbon neutral fuel
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:50:23 am »
New catalyst paves way for carbon neutral fuel
June 21, 2017 by Robyn Mills
Carbon dioxide

Australian scientists have paved the way for carbon neutral fuel with the development of a new efficient catalyst that converts carbon dioxide (CO2) from the air into synthetic natural gas in a 'clean' process using solar energy.

Undertaken by University of Adelaide in collaboration with CSIRO, the research could make viable a process that has enormous potential to replace fossil fuels and continue to use existing carbon-based fuel technologies without increasing atmospheric CO2.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-catalyst-paves-carbon-neutral-fuel.html#jCp

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: New catalyst paves way for carbon neutral fuel
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 03:19:59 pm »
Nothing in the referenced paper talked about how much electricity was needed to produce the methane with the catalysts. Given this was not mentioned, I'd bet the energy poured into creating the methane was higher than the energy content of the produced gasses.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 03:32:16 pm »
Create Hydrogen, capture Carbon Dioxide, and then catalytically combine, driven electrically, into Methane.

Like Methane is a rare commodity?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 03:40:12 pm »
Create Hydrogen, capture Carbon Dioxide, and then catalytically combine, driven electrically, into Methane.

Like Methane is a rare commodity?

Nah. It's just a better storage medium. Hydrogen is a real PITA to store and transport.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 03:41:31 pm »
Nothing in the referenced paper talked about how much electricity was needed to produce the methane with the catalysts. Given this was not mentioned, I'd bet the energy poured into creating the methane was higher than the energy content of the produced gasses.

You aren't thinking clearly.  They're going to use solar and/or wind power, no need for electricity. :P

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 03:47:41 pm »
You aren't thinking clearly.  They're going to use solar and/or wind power, no need for electricity. :P

:facepalm:

Of course! You're right! Using "renewables" negates all energy costs.......Like that diet coke I had with the Reese's cup this morning cancelled out all the calories in the candy.....

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 04:11:31 pm »
I'd bet the energy poured into creating the methane was higher than the energy content of the produced gasses.

Pretty safe bet there, thermodynamics and all that.  Unless they found a way to create a process with greater than 100% efficiency.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 04:17:30 pm »
Pretty safe bet there, thermodynamics and all that.  Unless they found a way to create a process with greater than 100% efficiency.

Yep, that's why I made that statement....

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 04:41:29 pm »
Nah. It's just a better storage medium. Hydrogen is a real PITA to store and transport.
True that. I worked with FID detectors for years. Great machines when they work right, but the H2 was a PITA.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis