Author Topic: CHINA COULD SURPASS THE US AND BECOME THE WORLD’S LEADING INVESTOR IN SCIENTIFIC AND MEDICAL RESEARCH BY 2022  (Read 849 times)

Offline Suppressed

CHINA COULD SURPASS THE US AND BECOME THE WORLD’S LEADING INVESTOR IN SCIENTIFIC AND MEDICAL RESEARCH BY 2022
JUNE 15, 2017 DANIEL DAVIES
http://factor-tech.com/health-augmentation/26630-china-could-surpass-the-us-and-become-the-worlds-leading-investor-in-scientific-and-medical-research-by-2022/

A new study has claimed that the US’ status as the world’s leading nation in scientific and medical research is under threat.

University of Michigan researchers reviewed every issue of six top-tier international journals and four mid-tier journals from 2000 to 2015.

While the researchers concluded that the US is still the world leader in research and development spending, and ranks first in the world for scientific discoveries, China’s increased investment in science over the past two decades means that it can now provide the US with serious competition and ranks fourth in the world for total number of new discoveries.

However, proposed budget cuts in the US, and the belief that Chinese R&D spending will surpass the US total by 2022 could mean that China eventually becomes the leading nation for scientific and medical research.

Rather than being a dominant force in scientific and medical research, the researchers discovered that the US were now more likely than ever to cooperate with other nations on peer-reviewed papers.

It is thought that stagnating budgets in the US, Great Britain and other European countries, as well as Canada and Australia, have ushered in an era of “team science” in the last 15 years.

In 2000, 25% of papers in the six top-tier journals were by teams that included researchers from at least two countries.

However, in 2015 that figure was closer to 50%. The increasing need for multidisciplinary approaches to make major advances, coupled with the advances of Internet-based collaboration tools were likely have something to do with this, Omary said.

Excerpt.  Read more at http://factor-tech.com/health-augmentation/26630-china-could-surpass-the-us-and-become-the-worlds-leading-investor-in-scientific-and-medical-research-by-2022/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This is the sort of alarmist, garbage article that they always run during a Republican administration.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
This is what happens when you send all of our jobs and money overseas. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I would bet they already are ahead of us.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:00:38 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well they certainly have more volunteers available for human testing and the ability to bypass that pesky testing on animals first stage. :whistle:

Offline kidd

<< snort >>

What a joke.

I was in China last year for three separate one-month business trips at their premier new nuclear power plants.
Best-in-country-facilities.

My friend picked up a terrible bacterial infection of his lungs, as has happened to him before.

He went to a doctor that was recommended by Americans to treat Americans at the plant.
The doctor's office had cabinets full of teas and herbal remedies where an American doctor would have antibiotics.

From this visit to this doctor, my friend determined that he risked being quarantined if he tried going to a Chinese hospital, which was dangerous.
He debated flying to Japan for treatment, but simply chose to be sick for two weeks - as the best option.

Chinese medicine is still very much third world quality.

Offline The_Reader_David

This is the sort of alarmist, garbage article that they always run during a Republican administration.

Indeed, the trouble is with Trump, unlike Bush the Younger, Bush the Elder, and Reagan there is a basis for the alarm.  Rather than doing the sensible thing in his budget and cutting funding only for politicized areas of science (climatology, "medical" research on "gun violence" and the like) or better still, adding funding for "red team" initiatives in those areas specifically directed at research to debunk the concensus, and directing the NSF to use its budget to fund basic scientific research and the sort of science education that produces scientists and engineers, rather than things like plays about climate change, his budget proposed broad cuts to science funding generally, including the NIH, which funds a great deal of medical research that's too far from immediate application to be picked up by pharmaceutical companies or medical device manufactuers.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.