Author Topic: Drivers take note: New anti-idling law in Ann Arbor taking effect  (Read 493 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
ANN ARBOR, MI - A new local law aimed at reducing vehicle emissions and improving the quality of air people in Ann Arbor breathe is taking effect July 1.

The city's new anti-idling ordinance was approved by the City Council in a 9-1 vote last October.

The council delayed the law's enactment until now so the city could educate the community about it first.

It allows the city's police to ticket drivers for certain types of "unnecessary idling" or idling in designated no-idling zones.

Each violation will be considered a civil infraction carrying a fine of at least $100.

For commercial vehicles anywhere in the city, the law prohibits any idling while a vehicle is unoccupied, or for more than five minutes while occupied.

And for other drivers, no motor vehicle can idle in a posted "no idling" zone while unoccupied or for more than five minutes while occupied.

Because there aren't any "no idling" zones posted yet, only commercial vehicle drivers will be impacted initially, though there could be some "no idling" zones by later this year.

There are some exceptions allowed in the ordinance for safety and emergency reasons. Read the ordinance.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2017/06/drivers_take_note_new_anti-idl.html

Idiots. I wonder if they'll be giving drivers a break for driving with windows frosted over?

Offline raml

Re: Drivers take note: New anti-idling law in Ann Arbor taking effect
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 06:53:45 pm »
What about the hot summers when waiting for someone and sitting in a car maybe they would rather the person get heat stroke. What a crazy law I am from Michigan but Ann Arbor has turned so liberal a place to live I wouldn't want to live anywhere near there.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:00:16 pm »
Another reason to avoid Michigan.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:01:54 pm »
What about the hot summers when waiting for someone and sitting in a car maybe they would rather the person get heat stroke. What a crazy law I am from Michigan but Ann Arbor has turned so liberal a place to live I wouldn't want to live anywhere near there.

I live just across the county line in Jackson County and during the winter I'll start the car and walk down to the post office, come back and come into the house for a cup of coffee before I leave.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:17:14 pm »
Another reason to avoid Michigan.

Ann Arbor is a whore.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 03:19:53 pm »
The council delayed the law's enactment until now so the city could educate the community about it first.

It aint easy re-edumacating the peeps so they went the Common Core route - "We foam at the mouth for more power and control and we don't care how many little people we crush doing it".

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:29:03 pm »
It aint easy re-edumacating the peeps so they went the Common Core route - "We foam at the mouth for more power and control and we don't care how many little people we crush doing it".

They discovered that their taxpayer funded "free" charging stations for electric cars were being utilized almost exclusively by about a dozen 6 figure earners (almost all were university professors)