Author Topic: Time capsule found in Confederate statue at Lake Eola  (Read 795 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Time capsule found in Confederate statue at Lake Eola
« on: June 21, 2017, 12:02:16 am »
ORLANDO, Fla. - Crews with the city of Orlando are waiting to open a time capsule found in a confederate statue at Lake Eola.

The 106-year-old statue, nicknamed "Johnny Reb," was moved Tuesday from Lake Eola to Greenwood Cemetery.

The statue has been at Lake Eola since 1917 after it was transferred to the park from East Central Boulevard and South Magnolia Avenue because the monument posed a traffic hazard.

It’s unclear what’s in the time capsule. But it’s a small, rusted box that’s about three pounds.

A woman with the United Daughters of the Confederacy told Eyewitness News that she believes flags and money are in the vault. Greenwood Cemetery Sexton Don Price said the capsule hasn’t been opened yet.

“I didn’t shake it, only because I wanted to make sure that everything was intact. So it was carried straight out, but it was light. It was probably photographs and letters, we don’t know,” Price said.

The capsule will be kept at the city clerk’s vault until it can be opened.

“You have to have the right conditions. It’s been sitting in a small area for 100 years at least. We think it dates back to 1911,” Price said.

More plus video: http://www.wftv.com/news/local/time-capsule-found-in-confederate-statue-at-lake-eola/536410802
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Time capsule found in Confederate statue at Lake Eola
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 12:21:07 am »
I find it humorous that it was moved in *1917* for being a traffic hazard.

I also love that the City residents' tax money is used to pay for the $120,000 base that has to be built to put it on in the cemetery the statue is being moved to.