Author Topic: Why CO2 from Volcanoes Is Definitely Not the Issue  (Read 1465 times)

rangerrebew

Why CO2 from Volcanoes Is Definitely Not the Issue
« on: June 18, 2017, 01:10:47 pm »
Why CO2 from Volcanoes Is Definitely Not the Issue

June 16, 2017

by Robby Berman

One of climate-change deniers’ favorites assertions to make is that it’s not us throwing all that carbon dioxide into the atmosphere — it’s those pesky volcanoes. While it’s true that volcanoes spew tons of pollutants into the air when they erupt, do they really contribute more CO2 than we do? Or even the same amount as we do? Short answer: Hell, no. Astrophysicist, science communicator and NASA columnist Ethan Siegel explains how the comparison shakes out in an article for Medium.

http://bigthink.com/robby-berman/why-co2-from-volcanoes-is-definitely-not-the-issue
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:11:36 pm by rangerrebew »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Why CO2 from Volcanoes Is Definitely Not the Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 03:08:56 pm »
Irrelevant because CO2 doesn't cause warming anyway.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 05:34:13 pm »
Irrelevant because CO2 doesn't cause warming anyway.

The moon receives the same insolation as the earth -- and in any given place, more, per 24 hours.  Why is it cold?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 05:47:31 pm »
The moon receives the same insolation as the earth -- and in any given place, more, per 24 hours.  Why is it cold?

As do the poles. Why are they cold?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:54:52 pm »
When I see ALL the jackasses who support the global warming crap start living like they believe we are killing the planet's biosphere, then I might have a tendency to believe them. So far all I see are people who want to be our new lords and masters in a new feudal re-arrangement of all nations on Earth. Until then, I will not change nor will I believe them. There has been way too much doctored data and garbage computer models used as their basis.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:59:47 pm »
You mean it really is the hyperventilating over-agitated followers of the Cult of Gore that are causing all that extra CO2?

(Fermenting all that corn to make ethanol to glop up good gasoline might be part of the problem, too)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:18:47 am »
As do the poles. Why are they cold?

The earth's poles receive less isolation than the equator of the moon.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 01:48:12 am »
The earth's poles receive less isolation than the equator of the moon.
Yep. Incidence angle has a lot to do with atmospheric backscatter. It is part of the reason that photoelectric solar panels really become less desirable as latitude numbers go up, and even passive solar heating gets less effective. That and the changes in the hours of sunlight between winter and summer. (about 48 degrees latitude, 8 hours of sunlight in midwinter, 16 hours in midsummer).

Insolation varies, too, and not just with latitude: From https://www.wholesalesolar.com/solar-information/sun-hours-us-map

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:58:00 am »
a picture of the article's author from how webpage should tell you everything you need to know about whether he is believable.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:58:23 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 02:04:23 am »

When I see ALL the jackasses who support the global warming crap start living like they believe we are killing the planet's biosphere, then I might have a tendency to believe them. So far all I see are people who want to be our new lords and masters in a new feudal re-arrangement of all nations on Earth. Until then, I will not change nor will I believe them. There has been way too much doctored data and garbage computer models used as their basis.

:amen:

Offline berdie

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 02:06:25 am »
a picture of the article's author from how webpage should tell you everything you need to know about whether he is believable.

I assume that is for real...and it made me chuckle. :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 02:14:57 am »

I like this gem:
Before getting into the numbers, though, it’s worth noting that volcanic activity is the earth’s way of getting needed carbon out of the crust and into the atmosphere in CO2. And for billions of years we believe this has been going on without resulting in the kinds of elevated CO2 levels we’re seeing now: an estimated 3.2 trillion tons, of which 870 billion tons are carbon.
==========================================================
Whoa, scriiiitch, full stop. That just isn't so. For hundreds of millions of those years, it was a LOT higher.

From: http://www.biocab.org/Carbon_Dioxide_Geological_Timescale.html
by Nasif Nahle. 2007. Cycles of Global Climate Change. Biology Cabinet Journal Online. Article no. 295.

C S Lewis