Author Topic: So It Begins: Illinois Bankruptcy Acknowledged by the Mainstream Media  (Read 1252 times)

rangerrebew

So It Begins: Illinois Bankruptcy Acknowledged by the Mainstream Media
24 hours ago
Written by Joe Scudder

The fact that Illinois bankruptcy is practically inevitable finally gets reported on.

There are signs of Illinois bankruptcy everywhere. The gridlock in the state legislature may be a cause of it, but it is more significant as a symptom. The Democrat-dominated system has broken down because there is no money left. The usual compromises don’t work anymore because they cost too much.

Another sign is that both Powerball and Mega Millions are halting business in Illinois because the state can’t afford to pay off winners. They’re afraid continuing in Illinois will wreck their reputations.

CBS News reports, “Could Illinois be the first state to file for bankruptcy?”

http://eaglerising.com/44793/so-it-begins-illinois-bankruptcy-acknowledged-by-the-mainstream-media/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:53:33 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The seemingly inevitable finally happens.

rangerrebew

My daughter used to live in Chicago but she and her husband moved to Berkley, Ca. 4 months ago.  She is visiting us and we talked about Illinois.  She said she is glad to be gone from Illinois because it is so financially poor and California is so much better.  She doesn't seem to realize Mejornia is next.

Offline kevindavis007

I commend Rauner for at least attempting something. However, nothing is going to change until King Mike Madigan is gone.  Not going to happen now that Princess Lisa is covering his a**..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'll reckon that if you drew a line across Illinois 30 miles south of Chicago, and then "cut off" the southern portion and made it into its own state, that that new state would run a budget surplus. ;)

I recall reading that there's no legal mechanism by which a state can "declare bankruptcy", insofar as the bankruptcy laws are written. Municipalities, yes, but states... no.

Well, looks like there's going to be a first time for everything, law or no law.

Perhaps it might be a good move for the democrats to go a-beggin' to the Republicans in Congress to amend the federal bankruptcy laws to include states as among the entities that have legal standing to file for bankruptcy in court. This could probably be covered by only a few additional pages of legislation.

Whether or not the Pubbies should go along with it, can't say.
This is uncharted territory.

If a state -could- go into federal court seeking bankruptcy protection, who could the court in turn appoint as trustee(s)?
Perhaps a panel appointed by Congress?

Maybe not a bad idea, considering who is running Congress right now!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

There have been a few cities in California, file for BK.

Orange County years ago, when the treasurer made bad risky investments.

San Bernardino
Vallejo
Stockton

Government employee pension promises depend on unrealistic interest earnings, so they are supplemented out of general funds. Until general funds face dilemmas like continuing police, paying pensions, raising taxes.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline kevindavis007

I'll reckon that if you drew a line across Illinois 30 miles south of Chicago, and then "cut off" the southern portion and made it into its own state, that that new state would run a budget surplus. ;)

I recall reading that there's no legal mechanism by which a state can "declare bankruptcy", insofar as the bankruptcy laws are written. Municipalities, yes, but states... no.

Well, looks like there's going to be a first time for everything, law or no law.

Perhaps it might be a good move for the democrats to go a-beggin' to the Republicans in Congress to amend the federal bankruptcy laws to include states as among the entities that have legal standing to file for bankruptcy in court. This could probably be covered by only a few additional pages of legislation.

If a state -could- go into federal court seeking bankruptcy protection, who could the court in turn appoint as trustee(s)?

That would be correct. The reality is this, The City of Chicago is in deep s**t when it comes to the money.. Mayor Daley, spent money like there was no tomorrow to build parks, and try to bring the Olympics to Chicago.  He almost sold off everything. Literally.

That is correct, there is no legal option for a state to declare bankruptcy..

We are in uncharted territory.. Basically the chickens have come home to roost.

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I don't think you would need to go 30 miles.  20 would probably be enough.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

If true, that's good news.  Unfortunately, New York State has been in this situation so long, and the economy has been trashed for so long, lots of the Red areas of the state are loaded with lots of people reliant on handouts and drugs.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

If true, that's good news.  Unfortunately, New York State has been in this situation so long, and the economy has been trashed for so long, lots of the Red areas of the state are loaded with lots of people reliant on handouts and drugs.

Unfortunately much of upstate NY has been made to pay the price for the political idiocies of the liberals, and couldn't survive on its own right now.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Unfortunately much of upstate NY has been made to pay the price for the political idiocies of the liberals, and couldn't survive on its own right now.

Il is a liberal hell hole in Springfield..they control the government and won't pass a budget...one person by the name of Madigan [a lib] controls everything as Speaker of the House....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Suppressed

Yup...that was the point I was trying to make.  They have been lulled into dependency.   :shrug:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The GOP needs to get strong on ensuring taxpayers from other states do not subsidize the failed state of Illinois.

If they do not, there will be several more of the liberal hellholes standing in line, like New York, California, and of course Puerto Rico.  Any of the large cities could also hold their hands out.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Look out for the domino effect.

Total State Debt: ranked from lowest debtor state (#1) to highest debtor state (#50)

Hawaii ranks as the highest debtor state, yet they are proposing universal basic minimum income?

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,267941.0.html
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Look out for the domino effect.

Total State Debt: ranked from lowest debtor state (#1) to highest debtor state (#50)

Hawaii ranks as the highest debtor state, yet they are proposing universal basic minimum income?

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,267941.0.html
We have heard ad nauseum about how Governor Kasich has provided so well for his state of Ohio.  This table shows he is simply robbing future generations.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Some of those on that list can be misleading since it only takes into account debt. 

Alaska had a state debt of approximately $29.8 billion.
https://ballotpedia.org/Alaska_state_budget_and_finances

But the Alaska Permanent Fund has $59.7 billion saved up.
http://www.apfc.org/home/Content/home/index.cfm
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Dissolve the Land of Lincoln

This is a good piece in the Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-dissolving-illinois-kass-met-20170620-column.html

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This isn't new BTW:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_bankruptcies_in_the_1840s

State Bankruptcies in the 1840s occurred in Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, and the territory of Florida.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:20:07 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »