Author Topic: Seven US Sailors 'missing' after Navy destroyer USS Fitzgerald collides with 21,000 ton cargo ship off the coast of Japan and starts taking on water  (Read 10130 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Perhaps the ships rolled on impact.  That might explain why the rail is bent upward.

Looks to me that there was some pitching and rolling going on.  What was the weather like when this occured?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline NavyCanDo

Unlike when I sailed the seven seas, Ships today do have a maritime equivalent of a black  box so what exactly happened will be known soon enough.

When did i sail with the Navy?  Not saying, but I will tell you it really did rain for 40 days and 40 nights.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Unlike when I sailed the seven seas, Ships today do have a maritime equivalent of a black  box so what exactly happened will be known soon enough.

When did i sail with the Navy?  Not saying, but I will tell you it really did rain for 40 days and 40 nights.
Do you think the GPS part of that black box, is calibrated and timed, to be of use determining exactly what took place?

From my long ago sailing days, I recall rules, for avoiding collisions, etc. Somebody screwed up, but who?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline NavyCanDo

Do you think the GPS part of that black box, is calibrated and timed, to be of use determining exactly what took place?

From my long ago sailing days, I recall rules, for avoiding collisions, etc. Somebody screwed up, but who?

I still have my old Blue Jackets Manual, which has a whole section on avoiding collisions. One Captain or maybe both were not following basic navigation rules. Yet this does happen in traffic and on the open sea more than you think.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Some news accounts say the other ship gave a U turn, in case someone did not state that. I have read most all of the posts.

Offline truth_seeker

I still have my old Blue Jackets Manual, which has a whole section on avoiding collisions. One Captain or maybe both were not following basic navigation rules. Yet this does happen in traffic and on the open sea more than you think.

Boating Rules (assuming they are also international rules, which I believe is the case)

There are rules that apply to boats on the water, just like cars on the road. It's important to learn these rules to avoid collision and maintain your safety and the safety of others on the water. This sea yarn is a fun and easy way to help you remember the rules of the road at sea.

Rules to remember when two vessels meet

•When two power vessels are approaching head on,both vessels should alter course to starboard to pass port-side to port-side.
•When two power-driven vessels are in crossing situation on a collision course, give way to the vessel to starboard (right).The give way vessel must take early and obvious action to avoid a collision by either stopping or altering course to starboard.
•If the give way vessel has another power-driven vessel from the Port (left) which does not take obvious action to give way, or alter course to starboard, then the Skipper of give-way (stand on) vessel must take evasive action by either stopping, or again, altering course to starboard.
•Every vessel (power or sail) that is overtaking must keep well clear of the over taking vessel. You are overtaking if you are approaching another vessel anywhere in a 135 degree sector at its stern.
Channels and harbours

•All vessels must keep to the starboard (right) side of any channel.
•Inside a harbour (normally shown on the pilotage limit on the chart) you must keep out of the way of any ship over 500 tons. (which is about 50 metres in length)
•Do not create a wake which causes unnecessary danger to other vessels or people.
•You must not anchor in a channel.
•All small craft must keep out of the way of larger vessels which are restricted by their draft to maintain passage and steering within the channel.

When power meets power
•You must give way to another vessel on your starboard. (right)
•If you meet head on, both vessels must turn to starboard. (right)

https://maritime.college/Boating-Rules.php

Offline Right_in_Virginia

USS Fitzgerald Collision Update (10:33am JST June 18, 2017)
By U.S. 7th Fleet Public Affairs | June 17, 2017

YOKOSUKA, Japan -- A number of Sailors that were missing from the collision between USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) and a merchant ship have been found. As search and rescue crews gained access to the spaces that were damaged during the collision this morning, the missing Sailors were located in the flooded berthing compartments. They are currently being transferred to Naval Hospital Yokosuka where they will be identified. The families are being notified and being provided the support they need during this difficult time. The names of the Sailors will be released after all notifications are made.

http://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/Display/Article/1217825/uss-fitzgerald-collision-update-1033am-jst-june-18-2017/#.WUXZvwAnLVQ.facebook

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Thank you for that grim update. When I heard there were flooded compartments, I suspected as much.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
8888crybaby  RIP, prayers and condolences to the families, loved ones and friends of these sailors.
:patriot: Absolutely  :0001:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline andy58-in-nh

There will in due course be an investigation into the cause of this event, during which the question of intentionality will undoubtedly be explored.

We have no idea at this point what actually occurred, or why. It may well have been a tragic accident occasioned by a breakdown in ship-to-ship communication and/or maritime procedure in a busy shipping lane.

The answer will be instructive, regardless. Prayers for our lost sailors.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Rivergirl

And sadly, we will have a well crafted story on the cause of this collision and we will never get to the truth.

Offline NavyCanDo

http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Bodies-of-USS-Fitzgerald-sailors-found-in-ships-flooded-compartments-497146
Bodies of USS Fitzgerald sailors found in ship's flooded compartments

What a sad update. When it was first reported they were found, it was assumed it was better news.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Looks to me that there was some pitching and rolling going on.  What was the weather like when this occured?

I thought I read calm seas, calm skies. looking...

It’s unclear what caused the collision, which occurred about 2:20 a.m. local time, between the destroyer and the container ship that is about four times its size. Conditions at the time were clear, though the area — about 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka — is often busy with sea traffic.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:08:57 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline truth_seeker

And sadly, we will have a well crafted story on the cause of this collision and we will never get to the truth.

rangerrebew

Not much. Couple of feet, maybe.

I looked up the details for the ship type - Maersk E class container vessel - and it's just under 50 feet from the deck to the sea, fully laden.

The more I look at the damage to the container ship, the wronger it looks, but I can't pin down why. I'm used to looking at damage from a couple hundred feet up, too, so it's not the angle.

I don't see any damage to the Fitz. below the water line so the only way to have flooded the compartments would be if the freighter was making a speed turn to starboard, as if to miss the destroyer, and actually tipped the Fitz. so severly the exposed deck went under water for a brief time.  Since the freighter's damage was port and the Fitz. starboard, the freighter must have hit from behind in the turn.  By the time they disengaged, the compartments would have been completely flooded.  The damage to the freighter could be accounted for if when it hit it was already listing severely due to the turn and caught the bridge underneath and bent .

Online DB

I don't see any damage to the Fitz. below the water line so the only way to have flooded the compartments would be if the freighter was making a speed turn to starboard, as if to miss the destroyer, and actually tipped the Fitz. so severly the exposed deck went under water for a brief time.  Since the freighter's damage was port and the Fitz. starboard, the freighter must have hit from behind in the turn.  By the time they disengaged, the compartments would have been completely flooded.  The damage to the freighter could be accounted for if when it hit it was already listing severely due to the turn and caught the bridge underneath and bent .

I don't know what it's called but large ships like container ships often have a large bulb shaped structure under the water line at the bow of the ship. That may have penetrated the destroyer below the water line without it being very visible. In addition the destroyer has taken on a lot water and is riding lower than it otherwise would.