Author Topic: Seven US Sailors 'missing' after Navy destroyer USS Fitzgerald collides with 21,000 ton cargo ship off the coast of Japan and starts taking on water  (Read 10112 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Based on the cargo ship's track, it may be a deliberate attack on the USN.  Based on where the Fitz was hit, the cargo ship apparently took no evasive action, rammed the ship broadside.   
The ACX Crystal's course shows that it performed a rapid U-turn at speed and then turned to head back to Tokyo - at which point it collided with the USS Fitzgerald

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4612334/USS-Fitzgerald-involved-collision-merchant-vessel.html#ixzz4kHRqft9e
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Mod2

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Very sad.  In this technological age with advanced radar, communications,  and GPS , I just can't understand how anything like this can happen.

They are telling us that "self-driving" cars are right around the corner. "Don't worry, you'll be safe."

IOW It is not so much me, that I worry about. It is the other guy.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

Based on the cargo ship's track, it may be a deliberate attack on the USN.  Based on where the Fitz was hit, the cargo ship apparently took no evasive action, rammed the ship broadside.   
The ACX Crystal's course shows that it performed a rapid U-turn at speed and then turned to head back to Tokyo - at which point it collided with the USS Fitzgerald

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4612334/USS-Fitzgerald-involved-collision-merchant-vessel.html#ixzz4kHRqft9e

To my untrained eye I agree that seems very fishy.  Hopefully we'll get news soon that clarifies what happened.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

The larger cargo ship is damaged at the bow, while the Navy vessel is damaged on the side (port, left). Hard to imagine fault by the Navy vessel.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:22:35 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

Trump fired the ambassador to Japan and hasn't appointed a replacement over the past 5 months, to my knowledge.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

Trump fired the ambassador to Japan and hasn't appointed a replacement over the past 5 months, to my knowledge.

Could that be the reason?

/jk

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
There is something going on here that we do not know. A hard right rudder 30degrees should have cleared this.

There are watches on deck, signal bridge with the big eyes, starboard forward, port forward, and astern. The ocean is vast. There is no freakin' way that you could 'run into' a ship unless you were trying to. And even so, the odds of actually hitting a ship at sea, you can't count the odds.

Something happened. We do not know what the story is.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

Could that be the reason?

/jk

Just commenting that we don't have an ambassador in place, which can hamper the communications a bit.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Does the damage on the container ship look wrong to anyone else? Not specifying yet, don't want my thoughts colouring others.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
They are telling us that "self-driving" cars are right around the corner. "Don't worry, you'll be safe."

IOW It is not so much me, that I worry about. It is the other guy.

Good chance these will be the norm in our lifetime I guess.  I know I will be white knuckle status for at least a few years.  Probably pretty similar 100-120 years ago with our ancestors making the transition from horse to horseless carriage.

And btw, I agree......   We see enough glitches in computer driven devices now days, that I will never trust these cars 100%
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Scraping damage, that is not 'impact' damage. She could have got that very same type of damage running into a pier somewhere. Something, many things, are not adding up.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

Does the damage on the container ship look wrong to anyone else? Not specifying yet, don't want my thoughts colouring others.

Not dramatically, no.  Don't forget that the cargo ship has more than four times the mass of the destroyer.  And, by the looks of it, struck the destroyer with its anchor, which would have done a lot of damage to the destroyer without taking correlative damage itself. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Something, many things, are not adding up.

Military is a highly rules, regulations, and systems driven organization.  I agree, this just doesn't pass the red faced test.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

Container ship damage looks too high.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

Container ship damage looks too high.

That may just be because the photos are taken from different angles. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yeah - It does look more like scraping damage. It does look too high. It also looks like the damage happened from above - all the damage above the anchor is folded downwards, and straight down at that, with no real side movement showing.

The only way I can visualize this (better pic of the damage to the Fitzgerald here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Fitzgerald#/media/File:170617-N-XN177-155_damaged_Arleigh_Burke-class_guided-missile_destroyer_USS_Fitzgerald_(DDG_62)_in_June_2017.JPG ) Is if the Fitzgerald was stopped completely and the container ship hit almost head on VERY slowly.  :shrug:

Offline DB

The larger cargo ship is damaged at the bow, while the Navy vessel is damaged on the side (Starboard, right). Hard to imagine fault by the Navy vessel.

The destroyer is very maneuverable with tons of navigation aids. The freighter not so much. The destroyer shouldn't have been within striking distance regardless if the freighter tried to hit the destroyer.

Offline NavyCanDo

It's obvious where the missing sailors are....prayers :0001:

If you are meaning overboard, at 2:30am I would find it odd that that many sailors would be on the exposed deck. Unless there was a pre-collision alarm that had sailors scrambling for stations, or they were standing on deck watching this massive ship heading straight at them. Or maybe they are not in the water at all but trapped inside the twisted wreckage. In any event, prayers up, and also praying this was not intentional.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The OS's would have had this guy on radar 15 miles out.

There is no such thing as 'running into' a Navy ship. Unless something else was going on.

We do not know what the story is. And we may never know.

Offline driftdiver

The destroyer is very maneuverable with tons of navigation aids. The freighter not so much. The destroyer shouldn't have been within striking distance regardless if the freighter tried to hit the destroyer.

How much would the bow dip if the cargo ship tried to slow quickly?   I've read the sea there is very crowded.  Perhaps having other ships close was common.   The cargo ship is crewed by men from the Phillipines.   A place where ISIS is much more active now.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
How much would the bow dip if the cargo ship tried to slow quickly?   I've read the sea there is very crowded.  Perhaps having other ships close was common.   The cargo ship is crewed by men from the Phillipines.   A place where ISIS is much more active now.

Not much. Couple of feet, maybe.

I looked up the details for the ship type - Maersk E class container vessel - and it's just under 50 feet from the deck to the sea, fully laden.

The more I look at the damage to the container ship, the wronger it looks, but I can't pin down why. I'm used to looking at damage from a couple hundred feet up, too, so it's not the angle.

Offline driftdiver

Not much. Couple of feet, maybe.

I looked up the details for the ship type - Maersk E class container vessel - and it's just under 50 feet from the deck to the sea, fully laden.

The more I look at the damage to the container ship, the wronger it looks, but I can't pin down why. I'm used to looking at damage from a couple hundred feet up, too, so it's not the angle.

Perhaps the ships rolled on impact.  That might explain why the rail is bent upward.

Oceander

Perhaps the ships rolled on impact.  That might explain why the rail is bent upward.

That, or the top of the rail struck the underside of part of the superstructure of the destroyer, which would have bent the railing back and down.

I looked at a picture of the undamaged ship and there is actually a protruding balcony right at the level of that light-colored hatch which protrudes out over the water.  In the picture of the damaged destroyer, that balcony appears to have been bent upward and in toward the main part of the superstructure. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:40:18 pm by Oceander »