Author Topic: Jeff Sessions personally asked Congress to let him prosecute medical marijuana providers  (Read 1186 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions is asking congressional leaders to undo federal medical marijuana protections that have been in place since 2014, according to a May letter that became public Monday.

The protections, known as the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment, prohibit the Justice Department from using federal funds to prevent certain states "from implementing their own State laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession or cultivation of medical marijuana."....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/13/jeff-sessions-personally-asked-congress-to-let-him-prosecute-medical-marijuana-providers/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.50783aebd48a

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I kinda like JS but he's dead wrong on this. Get busy working on something serious.

Offline Night Hides Not

I kinda like JS but he's dead wrong on this. Get busy working on something serious.

Methinks the Peter Principle applies to General Sessions. He's not the strong independent person we need to head the DOJ.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline ABX

Methinks the Peter Principle applies to General Sessions. He's not the strong independent person we need to head the DOJ.

DC in general has been a perfect example of The Peter Principle for a long time.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
So we can pass a regulation to prevent the justice department from enforcing federal law BUT you can't build a wall or seek to screen immigrants from terrorist filled nations.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
DC in general has been a perfect example of The Peter Principle for a long time.

There is a myriad of problems going in this country Mr. Sessions, and Mr. Trump.  Medical Marijuana is not even in the top 100 of those.

Prioritize.....Focus....Prioritize ....Focus.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'm not even a supporter of legalizing weed and this doesn't seem a priority considering the DC swamp that needs investigated and prosecuted.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

I'm not even a supporter of legalizing weed and this doesn't seem a priority considering the DC swamp that needs investigated and prosecuted.

I think the war on drugs is a failure but the legalization of weed is a horrible precedent.  Selective enforcement of the law is dangerous.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I think the war on drugs is a failure but the legalization of weed is a horrible precedent.  Selective enforcement of the law is dangerous.

No argument here, but don't you think there are about a 1000 other things that would be a better use of  their time and resources?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Oceander

What selective enforcement?  The amendment referred to was an example of the sort of cooperative federalism most conservatives usually claim to like. 

Offline thackney

+1
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

Sessions has been, is and will always be a toad. He loves big govt' and has some deranged fetish for getting pot legal states while a multitude of real illegalities take place. I hope this screw ball idiot gets destroyed in the hearing and is forced to resign in disgrace.

Offline driftdiver

No argument here, but don't you think there are about a 1000 other things that would be a better use of  their time and resources?

Better then something which breeds organized crime and govt corruption?   Increasing theft and increasing intrusion by the cartels.

Offline driftdiver

What selective enforcement?  The amendment referred to was an example of the sort of cooperative federalism most conservatives usually claim to like.

You seem to be an expert on what conservatives claim.

Offline ABX

Are you a supporter of the 10th Amendment and limiting the federal government's function to what is Constitutionally approved?

(ie, the FedGov has no business enforcing this in the first place).

Offline Frank Cannon

Better then something which breeds organized crime and govt corruption?   Increasing theft and increasing intrusion by the cartels.

Crime and corruption doesn't happen when something is legal.

Offline driftdiver

@Frank Cannon
And yet reports are that both have increased in Colorado since the state legalized weed.

Here in Florida the major pot dealers are now engaged in massive lobbying to keep small dealers out of the market.   Essentially limit the number of dispensaries by law, so that only the big well funded dealers can open them.

I wonder how much they pay to get on the list of approved dispensaries?

Offline thackney

Depends on the size of the tax.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Medical Marijuana Industry?  I thought they were cutting into the profits of those cartels

Offline driftdiver

Medical Marijuana Industry?  I thought they were cutting into the profits of those cartels

I'm no expert but from what I've heard they are one and the same.   The pot has to be coming from somewhere.

Offline Frank Cannon

I wonder how much they pay to get on the list of approved dispensaries?

No more than any local developer pays to get a contract or have a building built or some garbage hauling company pays to get a cities contract.

BTW, evidence shows that the Cartels are being hurt by American hippies growing and selling their own in legal states...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/03/legal-marijuana-is-finally-doing-what-the-drug-war-couldnt/?utm_term=.5199960ea08a

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
catfish wrote:
"No argument here, but don't you think there are about a 1000 other things that would be a better use of  their time and resources?"

See James Q. Wilson and his "one pane of broken glass" supposition.